Which female figure skater do you believe is the most elegant and artistic? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Which female figure skater do you believe is the most elegant and artistic?

Who do you think the most elegant and artistic skater is?

• Total voters

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
haro said:

haro - OK, I just watched the video - I had never heard the name until I saw it here. She is quite lovely - I would say definitely elegant - her layback spin is gorgeous. I would have to see her skate in a competitive event, but my guess is that she is not accomplished enough in athletic elements to be already well known internationally. Very nice, though, I can see why you admire her.

floskate

On the Ice
jsteam4501s said:
haro - OK, I just watched the video - I had never heard the name until I saw it here. She is quite lovely - I would say definitely elegant - her layback spin is gorgeous. I would have to see her skate in a competitive event, but my guess is that she is not accomplished enough in athletic elements to be already well known internationally. Very nice, though, I can see why you admire her.

She was World Junior Champion in 2003 and 4CC champion in 2004. I'd say she's pretty well known. She has jump issues and is coming off an injury that has kept her out for almost 2 years now. But she's hardly a nobody.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
My vote was for Fleming. Lynn is my favorite Ladies' skater, and while I would call her artistic, I wouldn't call her elegant.

I just saw Lynn's Blue Danube for the first time, and it is the most elegant performance by a Ladies skater that I've ever seen.

Mea culpa maxima, Janet Lynn.

Vash01

Medalist
No Sasha Cohen, Angela Nikodinov, Chen Lu, and a few others (Yukina Ota has been mentioned in the discussion, and she is one of my faves)? However, I understand that you were limited by the number of choices allowed. I would not have listed Tara Lipinski among the elegant and artistic, but it's a matter of opinion.

Vash

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
jsteam4501s said:
I saw Yukina at 03 Skate Canada and she was wonderful. Her layback was exquisite and compared to Sasha made it look like Sasha was standing up.

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
I saw Yukina at 03 Skate Canada and she was wonderful. Her layback was exquisite and compared to Sasha made it look like Sasha was standing up.

Dee

Absolutely... Yukina Ota is truly a special skater... She is the best example of why its impossible to get excited about these young skaters whose bodies have not been tested yet... such a shame... I so hope she comes back healthy and strong for this coming season, so I have a reason to get excited about skating again... because right now, I'm just excited to have GS as a break from work...

shine

Record Breaker
Yukina competed at the Broadmoor Open competition that was held last week and came in 4th overall (Rachel Flatt won the ladies competition). There was a live webcast and a few posters from FSU have written reviews on the event. It seems like Yukina is still recovering from injury and has not gotten her triples back beyond the toe and the salchow. But I'm still just so glad that she has not given up on eligible competitions and still seems to be working towards a come back! Here's hoping her injury completely heals and we all get to see the wonderful new programs of hers (based on posters' description at least)! :love:

eleonora.d

On the Ice
elegance and art are for me perfectly represented by Carolina : her style develops every year better ; talking about the past, for me Katarina Witt's skating was unique.

Turandot

Rinkside
How are Sarah Hughes and Tara Lipinski on this and no Sasha or Kristi?

I voted for Michelle simply because she's my favorite, but I don't really think you can quantify who is more artistic... It really is a matter of taste and personal preference. Many skaters have great presentation and it's clear that they feel the music... but they skate with very different styles, ie Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen.

ChelleC

Rinkside
I have to say that, imo, the words Tara and elegance should never be in the same sentence.

Now that I have that out of the way, I voted for Oksana. I also think Michelle Kwan, Fumie Suguri, and Sasha Cohen are wonderfully elegant. I love watching all of them.

c_e_ahlen

On the Ice
I really liked Fleur Maxwell at the 2005 Euros, but I thought she was just lifeless this year. But 2005.... WOW. Those facial expressions, the way she just felt and lived the music... Awsome.

doubleaxel

Rinkside
When it comes to artistry and elegance - maybe Michelle Kwan. But I consider Irina Slutskaya's programs to be very artistic and technical too. Fumie Suguri too.

kajsa

Rinkside
I also voted for other. For me the most elegant and artistic skater is Sarah Meier although there are many other girls, whose artistry and elegance, I also like a lot (for example Arakawa and Pöykiö).

yeah, I agree about Mai Asada, but, for me, Sasha is a great artistic skater..I just wish she'd be more consistent with her jumps...Alissa Ciszney is also one to reckon with as well.