Plushenko threatened with legal action | Golden Skate

Plushenko threatened with legal action

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Original article , my translation.

Evgeny threatened with legal action
17:09 11.11.04​

Three time World Champion Evgeny Plushenko finds himself in the epicenter of a figure skating scandal. The Russian had to take part in the Art on Ice show in Prague, but had to abstain due to an ISU injunction. Instead of a Peteresburgian’s skate, ten thousand fans were treated to his performance on a screen. Now, the police department of region Prague-9 is overloaded with complaints from the outraged sports aficionados demanding legal action against the show organizers and Plushenko himself.

The last month the Czech capital was bright with posters. They advertised a fun ice show to take place in the super modern “Scazka Arena” on November 5. The main attraction was obvious. Looking at fans from the posters was the World Figure Skating star Evgeny Plushenko.

Zhenya received the invitation to the shows in Prague and Budapest from the Art on Ice artistic director Oliver Hener in early October. “I approached Plushenko after he declined the two Grand Prix events due to injuries,” emphasizes the Swiss. The sides shook hands and signed a contract; then, a corresponding amount of money (rumored to be 15,000 Euros) was transferred to the Peteresburgian’s account. In mid October Plushenko visited Prague for the show advertising, and then returned to the Czech capital in early November to take part in all rehearsals. However, a day before the show the organizers received word that the Russian Figure Skating Federation was directed by ISU to forbid the skater’s performance.

This was based on Paragraph 136 of the ISU rules, which stipulates the priority of competitions done under the organization’s umbrella – in this case, the Grand Prix events. You see, the Japanese Grand Prix Event NHK Trophy where Plushenko was originally slated to skate, was taking place at the same time as the Prague show. The International Skating Union leaders did not get into the details of why the skater did not go to the Country of the Rising Sun. Ignoring the ruling could result in disqualification from all ISU competitions including World, Europe, and Olympic games.

“I have an October 9 fax from the Russian Federation authorizing Plushenko to skate in Prague and Budapest!” roared Oliver Hener. Yet even this document did not help Zhenya take the ice. All Friday the show organizers spent on the phone, while Plushenko sent faxes to ISU president Ottavio Chinquanta, explaining all details and asking to allow him this performance. He never heard back. Ultimately, the skater had nothing to do but go and apologize to the public, and the organizers could only show his performance on screen.

When the audience learned of what happened, some left immediately. In the five days since, the police department of region Prague-9 which has the “Scazka Arena” received more than 40 complaints demanding legal criminal action against the show organizers for deception. We consulted with the government representatives of the region, and filed charges in the financial division of the Criminal Police”, stated the press secretary of Czech Police Eva Miklikova.

Our firm followed the rules, and isn’t guilty”, defends Oliver Hener. “If this gets to court and we loose, we’ll be forced to sue Evgeny Plushenko. It’s hard for me to say what he should do. Perhaps sue the Russian Figure Skating association”.

Russian Figure Skating Federation President VALENTIN PISEEV: “The skater disobeyed me”.

“Izvestiya” correspondent Vladimir Rausch asked the Russian Figure Skating Federation president Valentin Piseev to comment on the scandal around Evgeny Plushenko’s performance in Prague.

Izvestiya: Who in your opinion is responsible in what happened?

Valentin Piseev: I think the lion’s share of blame lies with the Art on Ice organizer Oliver Hener. He had to notify our federation of Plushenko’s planned performances in Prague, Budapest, and Nice. Though I’m certainly not lifting all responsibility from Zhenya himself. His mentor, too -- the most experienced Alexei Mishin – it doesn’t look good when he makes such mistakes.

Izvestiya: Are you saying you were not aware of Plushenko’s planned performaces?

Valentin Piseev: I found out quite by accident from some un-involved people that Zhenya plans to skate in Hungary. Then I was told that apparently Prague is included in the list of cities. Once I knew this, immediately sent Plushenko a letter forbidding him to take part in the show. Both the skater and his coach saw my order. Yet they chose to disobey and go anyway…

Izvestiya: Art on Ice directors assert that you gave the green light to Zhenya’s performance, and even show you fax as proof.

Valentin Piseev: That is not entirely true. There was a letter, but to the ISU, not to Art on Ice. It did not allow Plushenko to skate, but asked the International Skating Union to sanction it. I did not exclusively from a desire to accommodate Zhenya. I wrote that this is the world figure skating leader who is forced to take on a light schedule, and therefore can only skate in exhibition shows. Though, of course, if he were allowed to take the ice, it would break the rules.

Izvestiya: According to Oliver Hener, he signed the contract with Zhenya after he declined Grand Prix.

Valentin Piseev: I know nothing about this. I can only say that I talked with Hener only once, in passing. That’s not how serious business is conducted.
Vladimir RAUSCH

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Wow...

It will be interesting to see where this goes. So I take it Plushy previously withdrew from all GP Events? If so, I didn't realize that - must have missed something along the way.

I can't imagine he will be barred from competing in Euro's, World's Oly's etc. But I guess with the ISU one never knows.

DG

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
He did withdraw from all GP events but one -- Cup of Russia. I think the point is that ultimately he did not skate in Prague, so ISU would have no reason to disqualify him.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Plushy and Legal Action

According to Sandra Loosemore's website, Speedy is threatening "disciplinary action" against the top skaters who are pulling out of the GP without (what he considers to be) good cause.

curious

Final Flight
the timing is very interesting. they are going after a skater that unlike michel has never skipped a gp comp all because they are losing money,and of course that's all plushy's fault not the horrible job they have done promoting these events and blaming the skaters is not going to solve the situation or lack of enthusiasm for the sport.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Well, for one thing I am not certain that Piseev really did pressure Speedy on this, whereas USFSA is probably far more agressive.

Also, according to the article the point there was that NHK was taking place at the exact same time as this show, so conceivable if Zhenya was healthy enough to skate in Prague, he should have been able to go to Japan.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Koroleva said:
Why doesn't Michelle get these warnings against her when she skips 3 GPs? Ridiculous.

Why bring Michelle into this thread?

And FYI, she diddn't skip GP for the show or tours at the same time.

sk8m8

Final Flight
attyfan said:
According to Sandra Loosemore's website, Speedy is threatening "disciplinary action" against the top skaters who are pulling out of the GP without (what he considers to be) good cause.

Once again emphasizing Speedy's view that skaters are employees of the ISU and are there to bring in money for the organization (IMHO). Though I think it would be foolish for Zhenya to skate in any kind of venue (isn't he recovering? Traveling too much can aggrevate and injury that is healing), he isn't owned by the ISU, and like Michelle Kwan, should be able to void commitments to the GP events if they are injured. Actually punishing skaters for not participating when they are injured is basically asking for trouble. And, as I mentioned before, even though I don't think Zheya should be traveling and skating, I can assure you that his "show" program would be far less demanding on him than skating a "win-worthy" competitive short and long program. So to say that he shouldn't skate in one place because he didn't skate in another is like comparing apples to oranges and ulitmately doing MORE to harm Figure Skating's image than helping it.

soogar

Record Breaker
Well Plush's situation is different from MK's b/c MK does not do shows and tours during ISU events. A skater should be able to sit out for whatever reason they choose be it vacation time, school etc. In fact, if a skater does not wish to skate in ISU events b/c they lowered the prize money and wants to tour then the skater should be allowed to do that as well. There are loads of tennis players who skip Grand Slam events (thinking of Ivan Lendl in early 80's) to play exhibitions b/c they don't feel they'll do well, want to go etc. It's up to the ISU to make their events attractive to competitors and if it means having fewer events to keep the prize money attractive then they need to do that.

Lots of skaters are not happy about the reduced prize money. The fact is that it's an expensive sport and with the Russian skaters (and others) having to foot medical bills etc (thinking of Klimkin here), the ISU really needs to be sensitive to this.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Upon further reflection...

...my guess is that this boils down entirely to a contract situation, but I'm not sure. Do the skater's sign any sort of contract with the ISU regarding the GP events (and/or other ISU events?) What are the contract stipulations about withdrawing, and pursuing other show events, etc.? (please be patient - I'm sure the contractual stuff has been discussed here many times. It's just that my eyes glaze over!!)

Many of us sign contracts every day without even reading them or thinking about them. If the ISU DOES have contracts with skaters over ISU events, then the skaters should pay close attention to what they sign.

I have no idea if written, signed contracts are an issue in Plushy's case, but those written documents do tend to prevail, regardless of other circumstances. I just hope he's not "out of the hunt" for Euro's / World's this year. He is a talented skater, and I selfishly would like to see some of the up and coming Men have a fair shot at him competitively in this pre-Oly season - just to see how things are shaping up.

Just because I think there should be a Rusty Comb Award with Plush as the top contendor doesn't mean I don't appreciate other aspects of his skating! :rofl:

DG

heyang

Record Breaker
I don't know much about this, but I think the main issue is that the event was not sanctioned by the ISU. It's been discussed many times how Oly eligibles can only compete at sanctioned events or they will lose their eligibility. The skater can ask for permission, but can't disregard the ISU's decisions.

I doubt the ISU would have sanctioned this event since it was at the same time as a GP event.

Some may say that it's unfair to the skater, but if said skater wants the cache of being Olympic, World or National champion, they have to follow the rules of the organization. We all do things at work by certain protocols. I don't always agree with the method, but I follow the rules and pick & choose my battles.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Heyang, as I understand it, this is not the issue. He could compete in such an event had he competed in the GP series as well.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Many people on the Michelle Kwan Message boards are concerned about this. They're goiing crazy I am one of them.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In hindsight it sure looks to have been a very bad idea to appear in a skating show in the same time there was a GP event where Plushenko was originally scheduled for and withdrew because of an injury. I could not have imagined matters going this far, but I did not need to, LOL. Plushenko and his people definetely should have foreseen the danger of him skating in this and the Budapest show. Besides I have understood that Plushenko was well enough to compete in some Russian competition not very long ago? Anyway, this is not the first time it occurs to me that Plushenko may not have around him the best brains in skating business to help him in making decisions...

Plushenko also could have withdrawn from the whole GP series before the season even began and in that case it would have been possible to participate in different shows, but only if he got the permission to skate in them. As long as skaters are eligible, they don´t have the freedom to do what pleases them. If it is the freedom they want, turning pro is the right solution in that case.

I can understand that the skating fans in Prag and Budapest are angry, for most people the money is very tight there, I believe.

Marjaana

Last edited:

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Well hopefully this doesn't affect him for the rest of the season. It will be a shame if he doesn't defend his title at worlds.

Linny

Final Flight
Advertising

The advertising for the Plushy events apparently indicated specifically that Plushy would be there. That's how it sounds, anyway. Since he wasn't there, I suppose the fans have cause to ask for their money back.

The adverting for Skate America didn't specifically say that either Michelle or Sasha would be there. Fans can not file suit against the management. They weren't promised this with their tickets... even though both their pictures did appear on advertisments for the event.

Perhaps GP event organizers need to consider positioning themselves differently. When a ticket buyer wants to see the stars, they can buy COI or SOI tickets. When a ticket buyer wants to see a rising star, in competition, they can see them at GP events.

Last year, I got to go to SA because it was close to where I live. I didn't have to take off from work, buy plane tickets or pay for a hotel room. I've also had the good fortune to see COI and SOI at various times when the tour came through my area.

There is a completely different appeal to these... meaning that the advertisments really have to capitalize on the difference. Methinks they really haven't.

One other point of interest: in the audience at the GP event were top name skaters who are no longer in their eligible careers. Plus, there are some pretty famous coaches. Do you supposed that these people could be paid a fee to have autography sessions? Wouldn't that, also, help to pull in the fans?

If the GP events aren't making money, methinks that it isn't Plushy or Michelle or Sasha or Michael's fault because they didn't participate. The organizers need to think out of the box.

Linny

Linny - I was at SA in October, and indeed, there were complaints from some of the paying customers who were there to see either MK or SC or Both.. However, the customers did enjoy the 'show'. Americans are partial to Singles and both the Ladies and Mens events were the most crowded. However, the arena was far from being full. What is the reason for that? Is it the missing 'star' skaters or a growing disinterest in figure skating?

for those connected with the finances of figure skating, these 'stars' Plush included really have the ball in their court. I'm just wondering, though, if they realize that they may be contributing to the waning interest in figure skating.

Joe