Veterans Day | Golden Skate

Veterans Day

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Happy Veterans Day to all our veterans, including my dad! Thank you for your service to your country. I salute you.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't believe that quite a number of ABC stations refused to air saving "Private Ryan" last night, according to ABC World NewsTtonight. IMHO, that was a slap in the face to our veterans. :cry:

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
iluvtodd, I thought I heard a blurb somewhere about the ABC stations, but I didn't get the full story. Did they give an excuse why some stations refused to air it?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't remember the whole story about why so many stations refused to air it, but I think it had to do with the fear of lawsuits after the Janet Jackson mess during the Superbowl. Some other issues may have related to the violent scenes/lstrong language in the movie. Granted there are scenes in the movie that are difficult to watch (but it's not gratuitous violence), but it sounds like a case of political correctness to me.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
My dad was a vet and served in WWII..........as for showing "Private Ryan", perhaps some of these stations could have substituted another military film, such as "Memphis Belle" instead of going for a rerun of the "Andy Griffin" show....... :sheesh: 42

People are not against war when they haven't been in one. To see a movie where the action is realistic might change their minds and decide the present mess we are in is not worth the dead and the severely wounded. Our present government wants us to support war.

Joe

I agree, Joe. It's easy to spend other people's money and its easy to be brave with other people's lives.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Our local ABC station showed a Batman movie. What a waste of time. They never gave a good explanation, but it seems that the ABC stations were more afraid of heavy fines and losing their licenses. The official line seems to be, we asked for a ruling by the FCC that there was an exception for the movie and we didn't get it, so we're not taking any chances.

Saving Private Ryan is such an emotionally moving movie and should have been shown on Veterans Day in respect and thanks for the veterans who made our way of life possible.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Our local station carried it and although there was some flack, I think most people agreed with it. I don't watch shows like that so it didn't matter to me.
Well, it would have if they could have shown skating then instead. :rofl:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Good grief! Saving Private Ryan was too strong for the American public to view after what the real vets went through in World War 1 and World War 11, not to mention Korea? Give me a break!!

We also had Remembrance day here in Canada - there was graphic footage shown on the CBC about the different battles Canada took part in. Here is the famous poem penned by John McCrae:

"In Flanders Fields"

"http://www.geocities.com/~worldwar1/default-poppies.html

PS - That is the whole point of Remembrance Day - ":Lest We Forget." Showing a movie such as Private Ryan helps people remember the horror of war and the sacrifices others made so we can live in peace. Shame on ABC.

valuvsmk

Rinkside
Ladskater said:
Good grief! Saving Private Ryan was too strong for the American public to view after what the real vets went through in World War 1 and World War 11, not to mention Korea? Give me a break!!

We also had Remembrance day here in Canada - there was graphic footage shown on the CBC about the different battles Canada took part in. Here is the famous poem penned by John McCrae:

"In Flanders Fields"

"http://www.geocities.com/~worldwar1/default-poppies.html

PS - That is the whole point of Remembrance Day - ":Lest We Forget." Showing a movie such as Private Ryan helps people remember the horror of war and the sacrifices others made so we can live in peace. Shame on ABC.

Shame on ABC? ABC (the network) showed the movie unedited. Certain stupid affiliate stations (60 or so) refused to carry it locally. Let's not confuse the two situations, please.

MinnMan

Rinkside
Yaaaa

Grgranny said:
Our local station carried it and although there was some flack, I think most people agreed with it. I don't watch shows like that so it didn't matter to me.
Well, it would have if they could have shown skating then instead. :rofl:

I would have liked skating too. I did go to an excellent Vets Day program
at our local high school. It was great.

MinnMan