"Bocelli, A Tribute On Ice" | Golden Skate

"Bocelli, A Tribute On Ice"

Bubbles

Rinkside
Reposted with permission
Originally appeared in alt.vacation.las-vegas

Last night I saw "Bocelli, a Tribute on Ice" in Bridgeport, CT. Bocelli sang (?) 6 songs and skaters (Brian Boitano, Ekaterina Gordeva, et al) skated to these songs and other recorded Bocelli songs. The show was filmed and will be aired by NBC Sports (Saturday, December 18, 2004 from 4:00 to 6:00 pm EST).

Bocelli was heavily amplified and enhanced with a lot of reverb and one could not tell if he was lip-synching or really singing. I also got the impression that anyone in the audience would sound pretty good with that much enhancement.

I became suspicious about enhancement or singing along to pre-recorded music, when I could hear instruments that weren't present in the orchestra. The only keyboard was a Steinway grand and I doubt it was modified to sound like a pipe organ. The drummer only had a tympani and orchestral drums, but I could hear snares and cymbals.

Bocelli never missed a cue, and never hit an alternative note. He sounded very similar to how he sounds on my iMac speakers. His timing is either impeccable or maybe he has a vibrating metronome timed by a conductor, in one of his pockets. Or maybe he was unheard, over his the recorded music.

Bocelli played around on the keyboards when he sat down, just before the song. I heard it very faintly in the quiet hockey arena. When the song started, the keyboard volume knocked me back a bit. Bocelli said only 2 spoken words during the evening ("thank you") and they were much quieter than any of his song lyrics.

After the concert was completed (with only 6 songs with Bocelli on stage), the skaters said they would appreciate if we stayed for the retakes. They wanted their routines to look flawless on the NBC special. I always wondered why I never saw Boitano miss his signature Triple-Lutz before, but saw him miss it 3 times during the retake. Someone from the crowd yelled out asking
for Nicole Bobek's phone number during her retake. I don't think that will make the special.

So with everything having to be perfect for television, I wondered how real Bocelli's performance was, and how it compared to his other performances.

Could someone please let me know what his LV show is like, tonight?

Thanks
Jafar6

That's show biz, Bubbles. Never let 'em see you sweat. Aretha Franklin lip-sinced the Star Spangled Banner at the Pistons NBA championship game.

I never did figure out what was supposed to be so shocking about Ashley Simpson's performance on Saturday Night Pre-recorded.

But yeah, that's funny when the professional skaters do all those retakes after the show. Sometimes they try and try and never do land it. It is pretty obvious, because in most of these show performances on TV, there is always a change from one camera to another just at the moment of the biggest trick.

Oh well, you can fool most of the people most of the time.

Mathman ;)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

Bubbles

Rinkside
Reposted with permission
Originally appeared in Skatefans

The skating was sensational at this show, even if it wasn't totally perfect. Actually, a lot of it was totally perfect. I have no idea if Bocelli was lipsynching, but his music is so completely in synch with skating that the blending of music and movement seemed, to me, seamless. This was more a Bocelli crowd than a skating crowd, but they seemed enthralled with the skating, and rightly so. Roca & Sur skated to "The Prayer" and the audience began applauding about 30 seconds before the end of their number and just kept it up right into a partial standing O. What a special moment for them! Todd Eldredge and Brian Boitano also saw partial standing O's. The rest of the cast - Weiss, Bobek, Bourne, Fontana, Orser, Gordeeva, Kadavy - had to content themselves with simply being enormously appreciated by the audience. Everyone had two numbers, except Todd (with only one); he looks ready for Ice Wars.

They should take this show on the road!

ChrisC

Iluvtodd, wow you guys on the Todd board really outdo yourselves making colorful posts. It's a pychedelic delight.:)

Kurt Browning is especially good at entertaining the crowd during retakes.

Mathman

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
I loved the show and I'm delighted to read other people's impressions.

As for Ashlee, part of the reason her snafu made news is because she's gone out of her way to criticize other singers who used these vocal tracks and to distinguish herself from them.

tvcats

Rinkside
But yeah, that's funny when the professional skaters do all those retakes after the show.

Actually anyone that skates in a program that is going to be broadcast has the opportunity to do retakes -- not just the professionals.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
That's the difference between tv and a live performance. Everything on tv is expected to be perfect; we all know in a live performance there can be "glitches." Still, it's fun to watch the skaters redo a jump or two. Kurt Browning is especially entertaining when it comes to this apsect - as was noted - Kurt is the consummate "showman."

Linny

Final Flight
Ashley Simpson

Wish I'd heard her criticize Bocelli. Ohmygosh, take that back. I would have ended up cleaning the egg off my TV screen. Does she really think she's in the same league? Where does she shop for all that ego?

Linny