Trophee Eric Bompard - Predictions | Golden Skate

Trophee Eric Bompard - Predictions

euterpe

Medalist
Historically, Joubert has not done well in GP events in his home country.

In the 2002-2003 GP, Joubert was not a seeded skater. He unexpectedly won Skate America when Yagudin was forced to drop out after the SP due to injury, but then he placed 5th at Lalique.

In the 2003-2004 GP, Joubert was a seeded skater, having finished 6th at 2003 Worlds. He won a silver medal at his first (nonscoring) event, Cup of China, but then finished 4th at both Lalique and NHK. As the first alternate, Brian could have gone to the 2003 GPF, when Buttle dropped out due to illness, but he declined. Sandhu went in his place---and won.

This time, Joubert goes into competition on home ice with 12 points and is assured of making the Final if he places 6th or better. He may skate better than he did at Skate America (he won, but with a very sloppy skate)--or not.

You never know how Sandhu will skate at an event. He could be brilliant, or he could be awful. At LeBomp, Sandhu needs only to place 6th or better to make the GPF. Will that ease the pressure on him, so he skates better, or will it have the opposite effect? Who knows.

Goebel seems back in prime shape. He finished a close second to Weir at NHK, and a slightly better performance could place him on top of the podium, especially if Joubert and Sandhu don't rise to the occasion.

Weir owns the highest FS point score, even if it was for his non-scoring event. If he skates as well in France, he should be on the podium. But the pressure--and the competition--is a lot tougher here. At Worlds 2004, Johnny showed that he could perform well under high pressure. He needs to do that again.

GlitterTwist

Rinkside
This was a really tough competition for me to pick for the Gold Picks because my three favorite skaters are all here!! Baboo, Timmy, and Johnny....hmmmm in my Gold Picks I picked Brian because I figured, hey, a lot of people won't pick him, and it'd be nice if he won in his home country. Now, I'll be cheering equally for all three, because Brian is my Gold Picks man, and Timmy and Johnny are American!! Usually, like at worlds, I'll find my American Girl self slightly favoring my countrymen lol

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Glitter, I really had a tough time deciding among those 3 fellows as well, but I picked Weir because he's on a roll and must be gaining confidence as a result of this success.

brenlynn

On the Ice
i don't care about anything else... i just want katie orscher & garrett lucash to skate cleanly, just like i know they can, and so they can prove themselves to everyone who is doubting them right now.

rock it out katie & garrett :rock:

No Plush, no Lambiel, no Klimkin so......

Sandhu, Weir, Goebel, Joubert. I think the hometown boy will do this. He has to do something right now.

Joe

d12p

Rinkside
The ladies look wwweeeakkkkk. The only one I really like and can really ever impress me is Fumie. Yulia has a nice triple lutz, but I love Fumie and she should easily win this given her stature.

For pairs, Shen and Zhao should easily win and hopefully Pang and Tong will be an easy second. I don't really like any of the other teams other than Orscher and Lucash. Petrova and Tikhanov are very overrated and I hate watching their skating.

I think:

Suguri
Sebasyten (however you spell it)
Rochette

and

Shen/Zhao
Pang/Tong
Petrova/Tikhanov (unfortunatley) or Langois/Archetto

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
For Gold Picks I did put these skaters as winners:

Weir, Suguri, Shen&Zhao and Denkova&Staviyski

Marjaana

d12p said:
The ladies look wwweeeakkkkk. The only one I really like and can really ever impress me is Fumie. Yulia has a nice triple lutz, but I love Fumie and she should easily win this given her stature.
Suguri
Sebasyten (however you spell it)
Rochette

d12p - What makes the ladies look weak? as compared to other GP ladies events?

Joe

herios

Medalist
Joesitz said:
d12p - What makes the ladies look weak? as compared to other GP ladies events?

Joe

I don't understand this either. Having nr. 5, 6, 7, 8 ranked skater from Dortmund in the same competition makes it very intriguing and exciting. Weak ???? I don't think so....
And I don't want to hear the argument, that no top US lady makes it weak! (there are ONLY 2 top Us ladies at the moment to begin with, one is injured, the other choses not to compete in GP).

Herios :sheesh: