Sarah's performance at Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sarah's performance at Worlds

J

Jules Asner

Sarah & Irina

Sarah and Irina both won major events for the first time last year and both seemed well satisfied by their success. It's likely they were content enough with the accolades of 2002 to slack off a bit, and who could blame them?

D

dizzydi7

Re: Sarah & Irina

There might be other issues at play here. Sarah is very serious about school, or so it seems. Irina may want to have a child sometime soon. In fact, I think Irina has mentioned this in past interviews.

I do believe that if Irina had won the GPF she would have elected to skate at the Worlds. As much as I like Irina, I believe her mother's illness was an excuse to skip the World Championship this year. Honestly, I don't think anyone would have beaten Michelle this year anyway.

Dizzy

M

mpal2

Re: Sarah & Irina

I have to add to a comment that was made in the first post.

"ANother thing---I don't understand the excuses everyone is making for her ---she probably had the same commitments as always. Waiting for colleges is not like doing the actual applications..."

I don't want skaters to get bashed by the media, but I've read way to many articles and the negatives about Sarah that are always followed by an excuse.

I don't really understand the excuses that the media is making for her. Sarah has made quite a few on her own (they may be valid, but they are still excuses). But Michelle Kwan dared to slip to 3rd place twice in the 2002 season and was crucified for it much more than Sarah who slipped to 11th place and jeopardized spots on the world team for next year. Oh yeah.. Michelle dared to try her hand at college too.

Is it because everyone knows that Sarah's win at the Olympics was still a fluke even though it was her best skate ever? I don't think that anyone would give Sarah the win if Irina or Michelle had come out with both guns blazing. Does it have anything to do with Sarah being the pretty white skater that "looks American" (to quote some of the ignorant at my office-I have to bite my tongue pretty hard around them)? Is it both of the above?

I don't wish evil on any skater and it seems like Sarah is getting a glimpse of the crap Michelle has put up with since she was 16. It just feels like there is much more sympathy for Sarah.

After rereading this, it sounds kind of harsh towards Sarah. It's not meant to be. I'm just tired of ignorant journalists pretending to understand skating who feed crap information to others. I am then stuck with hearing the "informed" opinions of those who understand all of skating's nuances because they read an article and watch the Olympics every 4 years.

In any case, may all skaters mentioned in previous posts find the direction in life that makes them happy. :D

A

ApacheApache

Sarah

mpal2: "I don't want skaters to get bashed by the media, but I've read way to many articles and the negatives about Sarah that are always followed by an excuse."

I've been reading all the articles after Worlds and the media is always quick to add "...due to busy schedule, undertraining...etc". I'm not complaining about Sarah, I like her, I'm just complaining about the media, how it's willing to cut Sarah some slack for not meeting everyone's expectations but it's not forgiving towards Michelle. Nevertheless, Sarah's reasons are very valid and I totally understand that. I never think those are excuses, Sarah is merely telling the truth. But I still think the best way to handle the question about her lackluster performance is not to dwell so much on the reasons even though they are valid.

V

Verbalgirl77

Re: Sarah

I totally see Sarah's point, and I do admire her for staying eligible. I guess I just wanted to see her skate as well as she did at Nationals, where I thought she was quite good and gave podium-worthy performances. I just didn't see how the busy post-Olympic schedule and the old injury could have impeded that. I wish her luck for next season however, and I still think she could have a long, successful amateur career ahead of her.