Speedy's reception | Golden Skate

Speedy's reception

S

sk8tngcanuck

Speedy's reception

Tonight was the first night that I got to see a medal presentation and I was astonished at the reception Speedy got! It's a wonder the crowd wasn't throwing tomatoes and eggs at him.

Normally I am a very compassionate person and would have felt sorry for the person who received such a negative welcome, but not in this case. He deserves it and I hope he took note.

Canuck

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

Re: Speedy's reception

he probably took it as a compliment....

J

JOHIO2

hi canuck,

doesn't surprise me at all. speedy was booed at every competitive event and the opening ceremony (yes, that included me!). why would the crowd cheer him at an award ceremony? he shows such a lack of understanding of figure skating and utter contempt for the athletes and coaches and fans of the sport.

i agree with toni - he probably didn't care at all. BTW, toni, how are the puppies???

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

JO

They are doing very well(though YOU try house breaking two stubborn females in Alaska in the winter and get results! :p )... Yuka(my pug) is very very naughty and spends most of her time in time out because she doesn't listen... and Lulu's so big right now and CLUMSY that she breaks things :lol: so we have to take them out one at a time after we puppy proof the area. It's funny actually... they both sleep through the night now... and don't need to go potty every few seconds... Lulu has started going outside... but it's still a bit chilly for Yuka...

on a funnier note... Yuka hates figure skating... she growls whenever it's on... but she loves to watch the people's court :lol: Lulu gave Plushenko a kiss the other night(to which I informed dad he should have said "bad girl" but oh well... dad says if *I* can have favs... so can she :lol: ) It's really cute to watch them try and figure out what to do with the TV... Lulu used to be terrified of it... and Yuka just wants to take it on... she's such a little toughy... I read once that pugs are just big dogs trapped in little dog bodies :lol: and I'm starting to believe it! :lol:

Dad recently ordered fencing material(close to 700 dollars worth... mom and dad say it's a good price considering the square footage we're getting....) we decided to fence in the whole backyard as our neighbors(my best friend who is in the military's family) have a teen boy who is getting into trouble back there[ie drugs and sex and what not] and the parents/whomever is in charge over there now that Courtney's gone don't give a darn.... it's frustrating... so we're fencing in our yard :lol: it's going to be really neat when it gets finished....

anyway to get back on topic.... It's this kind of reaction that should get on the news.... not more Iraq stuff... they should say "in other news the ISU president was booed out of the country by skating fans at an awards ceremony... he had this to say 'They like me! They really really like me!' "

:evil:

S

Spirit889

Wouldn't that be, "Rogge likes me! He really, really likes me!"

I'm wondering how much of the booing and public reaction they'll show on television. Knowing how the media works, I have to presume that since this is controversial, ABC will just lap it up.

J

Joesitz

The problem is whenever a skater is on the floor and his name is announced for some reason, the boos go up and I cringe that the skater on the floor is thinking it is for him/her.

Joe

M

mathman444

Joe, welcome back. Are you going to post your impressions in the Worlds folder? I especially would like to hear about any interesting experiences you had as a volunteer.

Mathman

D

DORISPULASKI

We watched Speedy through the binoculars. When the crowd booed him, he laughed. Every time. Not a nice man. He does not give a rip what anyone thinks of him. So the booing accomplished nothing.

The crowd also booed Korytek and Balkov, 2 cheating judges.
Every Time. And the description of the Sekret Komputer judging system. Every time.

And really weird spreads on judging. Most of the time.

But: They did not boo any French or Canadian skaters.

dpp

J

Jules Asner

At the next major US event, if Weedy is still in power of the ISU, the crowd should chant something like SPEEDY is SEEDY.

J

Joesitz

Mathman - My computer went dead and it has just come up. I hope to give a very unbiased report on Worlds somewhere.
In the meantime, I want you to talk to somebody to have "Michelle's Greatest Hits" on tape. You would have enjoyed that gal doing her thing. It was awesome in the arena.

Joe