Klimkin has the foot surgery, out for 4-6 months | Golden Skate

Klimkin has the foot surgery, out for 4-6 months

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Sovetsky sport just reported that Klimkin had the foot surgery (the one he was meant to have in late October) and is expected to miss 4-6 months.

The article states that as far back as September he knew that he had to have a corrective surgery, but he prolonged it to do some shows in Germany for financial reasons. He is disappointed that now it will be very difficult for the Russian team to earn 3 placements for the Olympics, but then he states that "being disabled at age of 24 is not something that he wants".

I wish him all the best! Looking forward to seeing him next season.

Yana

lulu

Final Flight
I hope Ilia is able to fully recover (and yes, a selfish part of me is very much looking forward to his return on the ice :love: ).
I do think he's quite :rock: for getting the surgery done now; rather than wait for his foot to get more damaged.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Lulu, my impression is that it is already at the point where he can't skate competitively (if at all) with it. His goal was to get it done in time not to miss the next season. As for waiting -- had he gotten it done when the problem became apparent last season, he might not have had to miss this season either.

I'm hurting with him :cry:

BTW, What does this mean?
He is disappointed that now it will be very difficult for the Russian team to earn 3 placements for the Olympics, but then he states that "being disabled at age of 24 is not something that he wants".

If Evgeny wins the Worlds and that is highly possible, wont the Russians, therefore, qualify to send 3 skaters to the Olys? If not, what is the rule for countries to send more than one skater to the Olys?

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
Financial

Ilia is 24 years old. Don't know the average age of the elite level male skaters. I know it's a tad older than the average age of the elite ladies skaters...

However, I wouldn't second guess his decision to take the tour in Germany before getting the surgury. Even with complete health, it's a gamble at best as to whether he'd be able to sustain his level such that he would be invited on another tour in the future. The reality for any athlete in any sport is that they've got to strike while the candle is hot.

All the best in his recovery and if he chooses to continue his competitive career, best of luck, and if he chooses to begin his next career, best of luck with that, too.

Linny

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
He is disappointed that now it will be very difficult for the Russian team to earn 3 placements for the Olympics, but then he states that "being disabled at age of 24 is not something that he wants".
Joe
It used to be that the number of skaters a country could send to the following Worlds (and Olympics) was based on the skater who had the highest finish. A top 3 finish (except in pairs - top 5) meant 3 skaters could go; a top 10 finish allowed 2 skaters. This changed after the 96 season.

If a country has 2 skaters at Worlds, their placements will determine how many skaters they can send to Worlds (and Olympics) the following year. The skater who comes in first gets 1 point, second gets 2 points, up to (IIRC) 12 points for 12th place. Again, IIRC, skaters who finish in 13th-24th place, 25th-30th, or do not make the cut after qualifying, get a set number of points. The goal is to get as little points as possible. For a country to be able to send 3 skater, the total points of the top 2 skaters must not be more than 13.

So, if Plushenko wins he gets one point. The other Russian skater must not finish lower than 12th place. Otherwise, Russia can only send 2 skaters to the following Worlds (and Olympics if it is an Olympic year). [I guess Klimkin felt he could finish Top 10 and perhaps feels that the young Russian men are not capable of that yet.] Using Russia as an example again, they have been able to send 3 women to Worlds since 97 because they've had at least 2 women in the Top 5 - the last time being 2003 when Elena S. finished 2nd and Vika finished 5th (7 points total). In 2004, Irina and Elena S. finished 9th and 10th (?) and the point toal is more than 13 - so they can only send 2 skaters this season.

[One more note: In 97 and 98, if a country had 3 skaters then all the placements counted. However, this hurt both the Russian and US men. Dan Hollander did not make it out of qualifying and got the maximum number of points. Alexei Urmanov withdrew d/t injury before the LP. Because there was no provision for skaters who withdraw, he also got the maximum number of points. After this, the ISU changed it to counting only the top 2 skaters if there are 3 competitors]

I tried to look for the rule on the ISU website, but didn't know where to look. Hope this helps.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Last edited:

Ximena

Final Flight
that was the big problem that almost happened in Dortmund, Ilia withdrew and Griazev after a good placement in the SP, he did terrible in the FS (16th) however luck was in his side and finished 12th, that with Plush being 1st allow Russia to have three men for this year Worlds. Pissiev would have gone crazy if they lost their three places considering Worlds are in Russia.
I'm confident Russia can keep their 3 spots for Olys in the men event.

Sadly, that is what happened with the ladies.

Thanks Herm - I did know about the number of points at finish time to send more than 1 skater to the Worlds (and Olys). I just wasn't thinking and you post is excellent for others to digest.

Interesting about what happened in 97 and 98. I think Dan Hollander should have hung around anyway.

Your mentioning: If a country has 2 skaters at Worlds, their placements will determine how many skaters they can send to Worlds (and Olympics) the following year. The skater who comes in first gets 1 point, second gets 2 points, up to (IIRC) 12 points for 12th place. Again, IIRC, skaters who finish in 13th-24th place, 25th-30th, or do not make the cut after qualifying, get a set number of points. The goal is to get as little points as possible. For a country to be able to send 3 skater, the total points of the top 2 skaters must not be more than 13.

would be ok for 3 USA men based on 5 (Johnny) and 6 (Michael) less than 13. Russia just making the cut with Griazev, and what about Joubert? I think Dambier came in 9th so that would total 11 for France.

And Canada? Would Sandhu coming in top 10, can they send two?

Back to Russia: I think Griazev should be ready for a top 10 this year. Eratic as he is, when he is on, he's good.

Joe