Training | Golden Skate

Training

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Six hours a week on ice, including one hour of lesson, plus three hours of off-ice cardio and strength training. I'd do more on ice, but this little thing called a job keeps me away from the ice. Darn it all - why can't I get paid to skate? ;)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I usually train about a 1 1/2 hours three to four days a week. I also do weight training 2 days a week and on the days I don't skate I do some type of cardio, walk or ride my bike.

IcePrincess

Rinkside
Monday I skate for 2.5 hours, Tuesday 5 hours plus off ice training, Wednesday 4 hours, Thursday 2.5 hours plus off ice training, Friday 2.5 hours, and I have weekends off. Although, when I get the opportunity, I love to skate then too! :biggrin:

Summerkid

Rinkside
I teach approximately 12 hours per week--group classes and private lessons. I skate synchro one hour per week and try to skate on my own for 2 hours. Plus I work full time off the ice, too.

icy fresh

On the Ice
Since I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread, I decided to ask for advice here concerning being on time for practices. I am usually always late for practices because my mom takes a while to get ready. I get very frusturated and angry because it cuts down my ice time by at least 10 minutes, and I follow I schedule I make up for every practice that is then ruined. :cry: I get very mad and every time I express these feelings to my mom she gets even more mad. :mad: What should I do to get there on time?

sk8er1964

On the Ice
icy_fresh said:
Since I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread, I decided to ask for advice here concerning being on time for practices. I am usually always late for practices because my mom takes a while to get ready. I get very frusturated and angry because it cuts down my ice time by at least 10 minutes, and I follow I schedule I make up for every practice that is then ruined. :cry: I get very mad and every time I express these feelings to my mom she gets even more mad. :mad: What should I do to get there on time?

If the problem is your mom, and not you, then there are a few things you might try.

You can try to talk with her and explain how upsetting it is to you to have your routine messed up by being late. Explain to her that it makes you feel unsettled and rushed to have to change your practice routine because of tardiness, and that you have difficulty concentrating on skating when you are upset about being late. Adults have a lot of stresses on them, and sometimes we don't take into consideration how our foibles can negatively effect our children. I would hazard to guess you mom has no idea that you are so frustrated by her tardiness, because to her it is normal. (I have the bad habit of tardiness, but I am never late to my son's hockey practices or games - it's important to him.)

If that doesn't work, then plan your session around 40 minutes, not 50. If you know for a fact that you will always be 10 minutes late, than plan accordingly. It's better to have 40 minutes of good practice, then 40 minutes of being upset.

Good luck and happy skating!

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Icy - the obvious answer is to ask your coach to tell your Mom that your practice is going to start 15 minutes earlier as from next Monday - the rink, or your club, or whoever, is changing the times. That way, if you are late, you'll still be on time! And if your Mom finds out and Says Things, you can explain that you really hate being late, or get your coach to say that s/he hates to see you so upset when you are late..... ;)

icy fresh

On the Ice
Thanks, everyone. One thing though is that my mom is my coach, so I can't really have a coach tell her to be on time. Unfortunately she knows all too well when the session starts and ends. I have a feelig being late is somehting I'm going to have to deal with the rest of my skating career. :cry:

love2sk8

Rinkside
During competitive season about 3 hrs on ice, and 1-2 off ice a day...During training season, about 4 hrs a day, and 2 hours in the gym/off ice

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
icy_fresh-
Stop being mad at your mom and just be glad that you have a mom that takes you skating. Even better you have a mom that takes you skating and is your coach! Lucky you. Instead of complaining to your mom, let her know how much you appreciate the time and effort she takes to get you to the rink (even if she's a little late) and the time she takes to coach you. Help your mom more when she is trying to get ready and let her know that it is important for you to get as much ice time as you can.

icy fresh

On the Ice
love2sk8 said:
During competitive season about 3 hrs on ice, and 1-2 off ice a day...During training season, about 4 hrs a day, and 2 hours in the gym/off ice

wow! you must be a really good skater! :rock:

3ggi3

Rinkside
Monday is about 3 hours of skating, Tuesday about 2, Wednesday about 3, Thursday about 2, Friday about 2, Saturday about 5. Plus On and Off ice conditioning throughout the week!

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Oh well, Icy, if your mother is teaching you, then at least she can make sure she gets your lesson the right length, even if she is slightly late!

As for me, I train between 4 and 7 times a week, it varies according to the time of year and what else is going on - and how tired I am - for anything up to two hours or more at a time. Some days even 3 hours, but that does include breaks.
And I'm an adult skater who will never be very good!

Petlover

On the Ice
I'm an adult skater, and I skate 4 days a week for 45 minutes before work and the fifth day I skate after work for an hour and a half. I'd like to skate more, but work definitely interferes! Off-ice, I try to jump rope a couple times a week, but mostly my off-ice exercise is taking my dog, buddy, for a brisk walk in the evening for around 30 minutes.