Hughes - New Coach? | Golden Skate

Hughes - New Coach?

R.D.

Record Breaker
(this is Sarah BTW) I read on her fan board that there is an article in IFS mentioning her...it said that:

"On the coaching front, Hughes is training on Long Island with her new coach, Adam Lieb, a former U.S. senior national competitor and World professional medalist, and the longtime coach of rising junior pairs skaters Chloe Katz and Joseph Lynch."

So...she MIGHT be actually trying to come back??

What do other people think of this?

ATW27

On the Ice
If she's planning a comeback, it's for later on, down the road; in the same article you're refering to, Sarah goes on to say that she doesn't plan on competing this season, nor is she looking ahead to the Olympics. She probably just wanted a coach to help her find her 'ice legs' again, and to properly prepare for the coming SOI season (not to mention anyother appearences she may turn in during this season); remember, her appearence on the Today show last month was her first public performance in well over a year! So I think she was needing a "skater's ear" to talk to. Then again, she could be indeed thinking about the competition scene further down the road. who knows.

Andy W.

Ximena

Final Flight
maybe she is planning to coming back in competition. It was mentioned that she signed up for regionals but the referee told her that she had a bye for Nationals becuase of some USFSA rule so she didn't need to compete. So I guess if she was going to do regionals, is because she was looking for Nats?

jesslily

Final Flight
Sarah put her college education on hold and came back to skating, touring and training full time. It tells us she is a kind of serious about skating which she had put in so many years hard work. She and her family is greatly fond of skating. Her dad talked about that Sarah and Emily both compete at 2006 Olympics. So Sarah does not come back just for fun. Since she hasn't skated for year and half and many pictures showed how not in shape she was, so her aproach probably is taking things one step at a time, whenever she feels that she s possible to compete, she'll make announcement then.

Ximena

Final Flight
jesslily said:
Since she hasn't skated for year and half and many pictures showed how not in shape she was, so her aproach probably is taking things one step at a time, whenever she feels that she s possible to compete, she'll make announcement then.

I don't know about that, she looked in a good shape in the "Today" show, yes not a great great shape (figure skating speaking) but better than she looked in all the pics of the different events she attend the past year. I don't know how she is technically since she didn't attempt that much jumps, I think she only did a couple of doubles but if she is training again, she does seem heading into the right path.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Maybe, too, Sarah is taking the "Michelle and Scott Williams" approach to coaching...have someone you feel comfortable with to help you keep your skills sharp ( or in Sarah's case resharpen) and someone who you're comfortable talking about your own ideas. And though I don't think a Wagner-Hughes reunion is on the horizon, it wouldn't surprise me that if she and Sarah are on talking terms again, that Robin might "drop by" to do some "expertise coaching" for an hour or two.

It also occurs to me, that though Sarah's competitive days may be behind her, they may also not be. I forget that she is still a relatively young woman and that many athelets have come back from "career threatening" injuries. I mention this because, from a physical basis, there have been atheletes that have not been able to train/exercise in any significant way for an extended length of time, yet were able to return to competitive form.

Sarah has remained active, and though her body has grown and she hasn't skated that much I don't see why she couldn't "return to form". A lot of what goes into a great skater is the natural abilities that they posess inately that determine the difference between good and great. Balance, movement, feel for the ice, biomechanics, those are genetically driven and aren't easily lost.

Fossi

Final Flight
Thanks for the wonderful news!
I have always wanted Sarah to go to Frank Carroll, or Tarasova. I think these two coaches are remarkable and would help Sarah to be a two time Olympic gold medalist.
I would also like to see her with Robin again. I think they were the dynamic duo and suited each other's personalities.
At any rate, I'm so happy to get these reports. I am crossing my fingers for Sarah in Turino!

jesslily

Final Flight
Ximena - What do you mean "I don't know about that"? Basically what you said is about same as what I had said before your post.

Ximena

Final Flight
jesslily said:
Ximena - What do you mean "I don't know about that"? Basically what you said is about same as what I had said before your post.

I meant about her not being in shape, I probably misunderstood and I though you said that she still was not in shape.

Crizzy

Rinkside
This is not intended as a bash, but Sarah has been away for 2-3 years and the Oly is what 1 1/2 year away, she'll have alot of catching up to do. Also let's be realistic here, SOI conflict with the Nationals, so I don't know how she'll manage to compete doing both. I don't know what her contract is with SOI, if it's just for one season or two, either way her schedule will work overtime to skate competitively again. I don't see her competiting at all for 2004-2005 season but if she really really still have the drive and really really train hard, then 2005-2006 might be a possibility. I don't know how well she'll do if she decided to skate eligible again considering the ladies field is very deep and the new scoring system.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Sarah has been getting back into shape and is just about at fighting weight again, as THIS picture, taken about a month ago, clearly indicates. :agree:

jesslily

Final Flight
It's a great picture. Sarah looks so much better than last year. It's impossible and unhealthy if she changed dramatically from last year out-of-shape to now total fit. It needs time to transit.
She has her own new coach rather than sharing the same coach with her sister Emily.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
From what I've heard, Sarah is mainly just doing double-jumps at practice. She's far from being in competitive form.

S

SkateFan4Life

Interesting, indeed! Frankly, I would have been surprised if Sarah Hughes did not attempt to make a comeback in competitive figure skating at some time, given her love of the sport and her zest for skating under pressure situations. She is only 19, and surely she could skate competitively for several years to come, if she chooses to do so and if she gets herself back into top shape.

I guess there must be a special fire in Olympic athletes - the "call to compete" must course through their veins for a long time. Sarah may use the upcoming season to just get herself and her triple jumps back on track, and then, she may really go for it. I woud love to see Sarah defend her Olympic title in 2006, and perhaps that might be a possibility.

On the other hand, there's certainly no guarantee that she would successfully defend her OGM or even medal at Worlds, for that matter. The Japanese women are awesome, and with Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen, there's no guarantee that Sarah would challenge for the US title.

It should be very interesting, to say the least.

Good luck, Sarah. You go, girl! :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
Sarah has been getting back into shape and is just about at fighting weight again, as THIS picture, taken about a month ago, clearly indicates. :agree:

I had a look at the rest of the SOI photos. As much as half the pictures displayed have Sarah somewhere in them. As for looking "in shape", IMO depends on the picture you look at.