Men's Free Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate

diver chick

On the Ice
I'm Brian fan but IMO he really needs to work on his artistry and the choreographical aspects of his skating. Under the old system Brian could probably have beaten Johnny as they quad would have made a big difference. Under the new system, from what I can gather, one jump won't be the difference between winning and losing any more because there seems to be more emphasis on other aspects of the program and a lyrical skater without a quad can make up the difference against a more jumping bean skater with more difficult spins, footwork etc.

Thinking along those lines, I imagine a skater like Stephan will not be in too difficult a position when he makes a return, provided he can get all his triples and keep up the difficult spins and maybe increase the difficulty of his footwork and include more choreographical detail in the programs.

I am really interested to see how Plushenko does under the CoP.

diver chick said:
Thinking along those lines, I imagine a skater like Stephan will not be in too difficult a position when he makes a return, provided he can get all his triples and keep up the difficult spins and maybe increase the difficulty of his footwork and include more choreographical detail in the programs. I am really interested to see how Plushenko does under the CoP.

First of all and imo, Plush should not have a CoP problem. He has style, he has appeal, and he has quads. he should skate well and bam, he will win.

As for Stephane - (Is there an e at the end of his name?) He is, imo, the best musical skater out there. He does quad, and his spins are outstanding. But the poor guy has had injuries since day one (a la Abt) and this will hurt him. Hopefully the judges see the true nature of figure skating and give him the gold.

Joe

diver chick

On the Ice
I agree that Plush should not have a problem with the CoP as he does have the whole package. Personally I am not a huge fan of his style but I won't be complaining if he wipes the floor with the competition under the CoP as provided he skates his best and has two programs as choreographically difficult as he normally does ;) As for appeal, well he doesn't appeal to me but that's just me, I am more a fan of the softer style a la Abt and Lambiel ;)

As for Stephane, yes I agree that the injuries may hurt him in terms of having not competed under the CoP and also in terms of lack of exposure. Unfortunately these are things that shouldn't matter but they do. If Stephane was to turn up, put out two good performances and be marked accordingly, he wouldn't have a problem with CoP. Hopefully he will use Euros as a warm-up to sort out the level of his program and then be competitive at Worlds.

oh and yep there is an 'e' at the end of his name. my mistake :p

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Well Joesitz, MK was the world champion going into the 2002 Olympics...Thats a FACT!! lol I'm just saying that MK has had more fan back up and is the most beloved skater in history.. I believe that has made her the favorite everytime...Even in the judges eyes...AND they would have gave the Oly gold to her in 2002 definately...

Well Equestrian - I was thinking of the 98 Olys, where Tara was the 97 World Champ and MK was the 98 Nats Champ before the Olys. No matter, you are correct about the many fans MK has in the US. I might add nowadays, Irina has more international fans and Sasha's fans are growing steadily. I think, too, Shizuka is getting high hopes up in Asia. Why not?

Joe

Last edited: