Trophee Eric Bompard - Results - Ladies Free Skate | Golden Skate

Trophee Eric Bompard - Results - Ladies Free Skate

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Congrats, Joannie!! :rock:

And while I'm thrilled to see the Canadian ladies doing so well this season, I can't help but think that Jennifer Robinson is sitting somewhere thinking "Oh, MAN....."

herios

Medalist
JonnyCoop said:

And while I'm thrilled to see the Canadian ladies doing so well this season, I can't help but think that Jennifer Robinson is sitting somewhere thinking "Oh, MAN....."

That is most likely. Although Jennifer made the most out of her limited talent, 7th at the OMG is not too shabby after all, the way her conquerors (Cynthia and Joannie) from last year came out this season like gangbusters, I am sure have her thinking something like "Why, I couldn't do it??"

Antilles

Medalist
Yay Joannie! it's so nice that Canada has some great ladies to cheer for now. It's been so long since we had a real contender.

I did pick her. Joannie joins the top 6 group this year. :love:

Fumie is skating a different style this year; one she is not used to, but I think in time it will improve her overall skating. She'll get better for the Japanese Nats and Worlds(?)

Julia seems to have had all the bad luck this season she could take. So now it's on to skating at her best.

Carolina, for me, is usually overrated. I have to see this LP.

Amber, whatever you think, just keeps rolling along. :)

Joe

glow_girl85

Rinkside
JonnyCoop said:

yeah, i can't help but feel bad for her, but i never liked Jennifer Robinson's skating anyway so it doesn't really surprise me that these girls are doing much better.
congrats Joannie! :)
Carolina, for me, is usually overrated. I have to see this LP.
i have to agree with you. i think i have seen her LP (maybe at Skate Canada? i'm not sure) and i wasn't a big fan of it, i don't know...maybe it's because i'm not a big fan of her.

herios

Medalist
glow_girl85 said:
yeah, i can't help but feel bad for her, but i never liked Jennifer Robinson's skating anyway so it doesn't really surprise me that these girls are doing much better.
congrats Joannie! :)

i have to agree with you. i think i have seen her LP (maybe at Skate Canada? i'm not sure) and i wasn't a big fan of it, i don't know...maybe it's because i'm not a big fan of her.

Probably you saw her at Skate Canada, that was her first event. There she was more than mediocre in the LP, as she is coming back from an injury which kept her away from training for a few months. (She didn't have or plan 3 flip or 3 lutz, and she doubled the loop).
I agree she is overrated, she gets usually too high second marks (old and new system) and the reason is simply ....SPEED.
The Canadian commentators stated she is the fastest skater in the world ( I thought this is figure skating , not speed skating), so the judges get carried away, and they reward her greatly for that particular aspect of her skating.

Herios

d12p

Rinkside
Quote:
The Canadian commentators stated she is the fastest skater in the world ( I thought this is figure skating , not speed skating), so the judges get carried away, and they reward her greatly for that particular aspect of her skating.

Speed is not at all overrated. Skating fast greatly enhances the level of difficulty of the element. It also obviously looks better and contributes to both artistic and technical marks. I'm not sure if you've ever seen Fumie skate live, but I have seen her two or three times (last year and the year before) and she too is FAST. Especially into that lutz....that lutz is enormous! I hope she pulls it together because she is MUCH better than Joannie, so is Carolina.

shine

Record Breaker
Huh? While I really like Kostner and think she has a fantastic LP this year, how is she "MUCH better" than Rochette? Yes, she's the fastest skater in the world, but Rochette's also known for her speed and basics. And at this point, IMO Joannie is the more polished skater of the two.

d12p

Rinkside
Quote:

Huh? While I really like Kostner and think she has a fantastic LP this year, how is she "MUCH better" than Rochette? Yes, she's the fastest skater in the world, but Rochette's also known for her speed and basics. And at this point, IMO Joannie is the more polished skater of the two.

Like just about every Canadian lady that comes to mind in recent history, (over than Choiunard), it's about the jumps. They all have had some little, funky, jump technique thing going on. Take Robinson for example, she had spastic timing and stiff knees. I really do not like watching Phaneuf's jumps either although she is a beautiful girl. Rochette can't breakway from the plague either it seems. Kostner is also surely more accomplished than Rochette.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
d12p said:
Quote:

Speed is not at all overrated. Skating fast greatly enhances the level of difficulty of the element. It also obviously looks better and contributes to both artistic and technical marks..

I will agree with this -- UP TO A POINT. I think "too much speed" should be just as much of a detriment, artistically, as "not enough speed", depending on the circumstances. I get so tired of seeing programs done to mellow, slow or middle-paced music, and the skater is out there flying around at about 90 miles an hour like they're skating to something fast-paced. This is something that used to drive me insane about Bereznaja & Sikharulidze in their earlier seasons -- they'd have soft lyrical music going on but they'd race around like to it like they needed to get the program done before Jelena went into labor or something. Overall NOT a pleasing artistic effect IMO. I feel the music should be dictating your speed, as long as you're not slowed down to a dead crawl or something.

missflick

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:

I doubt it. She KNEW what her limitations were. She was happy to get top ten performances, all the while when other (Canadian) girls were falling all over the place. She served Canada well. And she knew when it was time to move on.

:rock: to Jen.

missflick

On the Ice
d12p said:
Quote:

Speed is not at all overrated. Skating fast greatly enhances the level of difficulty of the element. It also obviously looks better and contributes to both artistic and technical marks. I'm not sure if you've ever seen Fumie skate live, but I have seen her two or three times (last year and the year before) and she too is FAST. Especially into that lutz....that lutz is enormous! I hope she pulls it together because she is MUCH better than Joannie, so is Carolina.

It can be overrated. Whe G&P was skating, there were times I wished they would slow the f**k down, as it felt like speed skating in fancy costumes sometimes. I disliked they way they whip, whip whipped around the ice.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
missflick said:
It can be overrated. Whe G&P was skating, there were times I wished they would slow the f**k down, as it felt like speed skating in fancy costumes sometimes. I disliked they way they whip, whip whipped around the ice.

:rofl: :rofl:

Thank you, I could not have said it any better myself. I felt the same way about Belbin & Agosto's free dance last season -- "Y'know, there's some wonderful stuff going on here SO WHY DON'T YOU TWO JUST SLOW DOWN SO WE CAN ACTUALLY SEE WHAT IT IS???"

d12p

Rinkside
There is a HUGE difference between skating fast and doing your movements fast. If you do your choreographical movements too fast, then sure, I can see where there may be a problem. But skating too fast? You can never skate too fast. Adding speed increases difficulty and pushes it to the next level. I'm not sure how many of you in here skate, but I do, and when working on the harder triples especially, it can scare the sh*t out of you to add speed. I think you have experienced more skaters who you have wished would speed up rather than slow down the skating in their performances.

herios

Medalist
JonnyCoop said:
I will agree with this -- UP TO A POINT. I think "too much speed" should be just as much of a detriment, artistically, as "not enough speed", depending on the circumstances. I get so tired of seeing programs done to mellow, slow or middle-paced music, and the skater is out there flying around at about 90 miles an hour like they're skating to something fast-paced. This is something that used to drive me insane about Bereznaja & Sikharulidze in their earlier seasons -- they'd have soft lyrical music going on but they'd race around like to it like they needed to get the program done before Jelena went into labor or something. Overall NOT a pleasing artistic effect IMO. I feel the music should be dictating your speed, as long as you're not slowed down to a dead crawl or something.

That is exactly what I meant, when I opened the discussion about Carolina's speed. I didn't mean that it shouldn't count, yes, it should, it's part of the "Skating Skills" mark there (in the component scores). She should get credit for it, the problem is she is getting too much credit !!!
The judges don't know how to use these scores, if they pick up a certain aspect of a skater's skill (like speed in this example), they reward that skater for all the other aspects, while they shouldn't.

Herios :)

herios

Medalist
Speed is not at all overrated. Skating fast greatly enhances the level of difficulty of the element. It also obviously looks better and contributes to both artistic and technical marks. I'm not sure if you've ever seen Fumie skate live, but I have seen her two or three times (last year and the year before) and she too is FAST. Especially into that lutz....that lutz is enormous! I hope she pulls it together because she is MUCH better than Joannie, so is Carolina.[/QUOTE]

While I agreed with your comments about speed, I completely disagree with this last sentence, particularly "so is Carolina"...
Fumie, yes she is overall better, but the "is" will turn soon into "used to be". Fumie is still a great skater, but she struggles lately. She doesn't make any progress in the technical department, and the mistakes she makes, affect the overall performance level as well (she looks worried and labouring out there, she cannot skate free).
Carolina, hhhmmm, did you actually see her performance in Dortmund, she placed 5th with ??? Well, let's get serious, that was not a top 5 performance, there were "Bambi" moments in that skate, she looked sometimes very "juniorish".
All 3 ladies behind her (Sebestyen, Suguri and yes Rochette) should've been placed higher.
I know she had a big lead after the SP, but the mistakes and her presentation were not up to that level she got credit for.
I have not seen Joannie's skate this year, but looking at the results, she must be doing something right. She has a well polished presentation, she has speed, power, height in jumps (except the lutz), she is connecting to the music... I don't know how many times you have seen her, but keep watching her, please, she will be going far! She has all it takes to get onto the world podium!

Herios

alain707

Rinkside
herios said:
I agree she is overrated, she gets usually too high second marks (old and new system) and the reason is simply ....SPEED.
Herios

Is the reason SPEED or SPEEDY ? ;)