Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Trophee Eric Bompard - Results - Ladies Free Skate

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by diver chick
    On the other hand when the speed is controlled it is a joy to watch a skater. The best example of this I can thin of at the moment is Alexander Abt, particularly his Armenian Melodies SP. I saw this live and I was awestruck by the speed and the sheer effortlessness by which he generated it. Never slowed down into jumps and carried the speed through the jump well to give beautiful deep running edges out of the jumps. And the circular step sequence, mostly fabulous edge work ,was so fast but clean and sharp.

I have also seen Corolina Kostner live a couple of times and while I agree that in some ways she is 'over-rated' by commentators and judges, I tend to agree with the general sentiment that she is a very talented skater with wonderful technique and great speed and the potential to be a great skater and possibly a champion of the future. In some ways she reminds me a bit of Urmanov. He had brilliant technique and when he was on form he was an amazing skater, unfortunately he didn't seem to be able to rescue jumps if his technique was slightly off which lead to inconsistancies and I think Carolina is similar. Also she is very young, just 17 and as such one should not expect that her skating would be very mature, very few skaters have mature programs or presentation at that age. Irina's skating did not mature until she was 19/20, Michelle's not until she was 16/17, Fumie, Susanna Poykio, Sokolova etc all in late teens, early twenties before their skating really matured.
    Abt was a very talented skater, with 3 strikes of the blade he was across the ice from one side to the other, and yes, it looked effortless.
    Maturity can be developed ahead of time. There are some examples which are bursting onto the scene, and have the appearance of a champion, well beyond their age. One was "Flutzy - Sarah Hughes" while overrated technically, she was not skating like a teenager, that is for sure. Michelle was another one.
    Cynthia Phaneuf and Yukina Ota are again, new examples of very young girls showing mature presentation. But I agree, there are not too many.

Herios
    Last edited by herios; 11-22-2004 at 04:26 AM.

Rinkside
    That is completely false. I conclude that you have not seen them. End of debate.

Herios

Hah! Right. I have two videos of Rochette from COC. I just watched them as a refresher. She has a Robinson lutz.

Herios - Abt was a very special skater. He was one whose natural talent was somewhat prevented from being all that it could be because of injuries. But when it came to basics, he is among the few who know what figure skating is all about. It goes beyond quads and bielman spins.

Joe

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d12p
    That is completely false. I conclude that you have not seen them. End of debate.

Herios

Hah! Right. I have two videos of Rochette from COC. I just watched them as a refresher. She has a Robinson lutz.
    You mind telling us what the definition of a Robinson lutz or that of a Robinson jump is?

Rinkside
    If you were to watch the two lutzs side by side, they would look nearly identical. I'm not sure that it even matters, I'm just trying to say that Rochette is overrated, being dubbed some goddess of Canadian Figure Skating who will save the Canadian ladies.

I seirously have no idea what you are talking about You think she's overrated because she has a bad lutz?

But yeah, my point is Rochette is one of the best and most natural jumpers in the world, a Canadian godess or not.
    Last edited by shine; 11-21-2004 at 08:55 PM.

Rinkside
    I seirously have no idea what you are talking about You think she's overrated because she has a bad lutz?

But yeah, my point is Rochette is one of the best and most natural jumpers in the world, a Canadian godess or not.

I wouldn't go so far as to say she is one of the most natural jumpers. What about

Ando, Onda, Mao Asada, Mai Asada, Carolina Kostner, Julia Sebastyen, Irina Slutskaya, Sasha Cohen, Ludmilla Nedlina and Yukari Nakano....I could probably keep going. These girls are all much naturally talented jumpers than Rochette.

Skating enthusiast

Naturally gifted jumpers

It seems that some skaters are naturally gifted jumpers. Some skaters are naturally gifted edge jumpers (salcow, loop) and some are naturally gifted toe jumpers (toe loop, flip, lutz) and some are naturally gifted axel jumpers (forward take off). Of course, some skaters are natural at all the different types of jumps.

Natural jumpers of all kinds would include Brian Boitano, Midori Ito, Surya Bonaly and Tonya Harding.

Natural edge jumpers include Yuka Sato, Tara Lipinski, Eric Millot, Kurt Browning, for example.

Natural toe jumpers include Viktoria Volchkova, Julie Sebestyen, Angela Nikodinov, Chenjeng Li, Chen Lu (the way she did delayed triple lutzes and flips was amazing), for example.

I am sure there are numerous other examples of the different type of naturally gifted jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by d12p

I wouldn't go so far as to say she is one of the most natural jumpers. What about

Ando, Onda, Mao Asada, Mai Asada, Carolina Kostner, Julia Sebastyen, Irina Slutskaya, Sasha Cohen, Ludmilla Nedlina and Yukari Nakano....I could probably keep going. These girls are all much naturally talented jumpers than Rochette.
    There seems to be no point continuing this conversation at this point. I'm convinced you have not seen Rochette skate.

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    Ok. Enough with this crap Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Everybody jumps in his or her own way. Through the years they try to develop their jumps so that they will become better. It is clear that Joannie Rochette has developed her jumps so that it will coincide with the COP. Carolina Kostner has also taken some risks to perform triple-triple combos. Shizuka and Miki have all done the same and i hear Michelle Kwan is working on a triple-triple combo. It will be since 2002 Olympic Games since Michelle did a triple-triple.

The bottom line is that everybody jumps in their own way. Time will tell whether they will get better. I have no disrespect for any of the skaters. They all have their own unique abilites

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3