Figure Skater Condeleeza Rice | Golden Skate

Figure Skater Condeleeza Rice

S

SkateFan4Life

The future U.S. Secretary of State, Condeleeza Rice, is a former competitive figure skater. Today, while watching an MS-NBC news program on Dr. Rice, a photograph was shown of her skating with her partner. It was difficult to tell whether she was skating pairs or dance, but she cut a very trim, attractive figure. Dr. Rice recently turned 50, so the photograph was probably taken sometime in the early to mid 1970s.

Does anybody know anything about Condeleeza's competitive record?

This women is certainly an over-achiever! Advisor to President Bush (41st), professor at Stanford University, National Security Advisor to President Bush (43rd) - and a figure skater, to boot! đź‘Ť

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Wow!!

If someone can come up with a pic, I'd sure love to see it.

While none of us agree 100% with everything Bush decides, I do generally like the way he has organized his team. It's not a particularly "Rebublican Thing" to select women, African American, Hispanics, etc. (historically) to important positions. While I'm not 100% nuts about Bush, I do think he has assembled a credible team despite the fact that they are not all White Male Protestants.

DG

Not to mention a gifted pianist.

Here she is performing with cellist Yo-Yo Ma.

"Condoleezza (from a musical term meaning "to perform with sweetness") began piano studies at age 3, took up competitive figure skating in high school (rising at 4:30 am to practice before school), and graduated high school at age 16. She had earned her PhD by the age of 26 and was teaching at Stanford University within months."

MM

PS. RTureck, can you shed any light on that musical term?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I too am interested in a picture/anything on how competitive she was :)

BridgetJ

Rinkside
I've known for years that she was a former skater, that's not something I as a skating fan and political junkie could forget, lol! I believe she was an ice-dancer. I don't have a link to a pic, but they showed it again today on CNN's "People in the News" program. IIRC, she is in the killian hand-hold? Not sure. I'll check Google Images and see if I can find anything.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
While doing a search for info on her competitive career, I also found out (besides what was already mentioned here) that she took lessons in ballet, french, and tennis. She is also an avid football fan. LOL
No luck on finding anything about her skating though.

Hi BridgetJ. Welcome to Golden Skate and thanks for posting.

I sent an email to the U.S. State Department asking if they could send me some details and a picture, so I'll see if they respond, LOL.

Mathman

Vash01

Medalist
I vaguely remember reading that she was a pairs skater but I cannot remember the details. Also I don't know how accurate the information was, since I have seen numerous errors in reporting FS related news.

It is amazing that one person can do so much. She is truly extraordinary. Sometimes I wonder if she may run for US Presidency some day?

Vash

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL Mathman!

If the State Department is wise, I'm sure they will realize immediately the benefit of sharing pics of Condi's skating career!!!!

Condi v. Hilary??? Methinks that would be an excellent topic for Le Cafe.

DG

Mathman said:
Hi BridgetJ. Welcome to Golden Skate and thanks for posting.

I sent an email to the U.S. State Department asking if they could send me some details and a picture, so I'll see if they respond, LOL.

Mathman

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Condoleeza all the way! :laugh: :rock:

we'll see :cool:

Math, keep us posted on that return email ;)

S

SkateFan4Life

BridgetJ said:
I've known for years that she was a former skater, that's not something I as a skating fan and political junkie could forget, lol! I believe she was an ice-dancer. I don't have a link to a pic, but they showed it again today on CNN's "People in the News" program. IIRC, she is in the killian hand-hold? Not sure. I'll check Google Images and see if I can find anything.

I saw the CNN "People in the News" program again last evening, and, indeed, the photo of Condoleeza Rice and her partner appeared to be of them in a Killian dance hand hold position.

Again, if anyone has any details on her competitive skating career, let's share it with the gang.

You go, Condoleeza! :agree:

S

SkateFan4Life

Here's a link to a bio on Condoleeza Rice, as published on the Presidential Prayer Team website. It's not preachy, folks. There's just a one-sentence reference to her experience as a competitive figure skater - that she took up competitive figure skating in high school and used to get up at 4:30 a.m. to practice.

http://www.presidentialprayerteam.org/aiaward/2002_august.php

John King

Final Flight
Condi

Hi,Bridget,welcome to Golden Skate!You'll find some of the ol' gang here,Nadine,Jennifer Lyon,Zhivago & MaryJane!Glad to have you aboard!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The Presidential Prayer teams makes it on the Golden Skate... that is just too cool! :rofl: I'm a member!

Hey Toni, do you like Dr. Rice's statement of faith?

"I have a very, very powerful faith in God. I'm a really religious person, and I don't believe that I was put on this earth to be sour, so I'm eternally optimistic about things." -- Dr. Condoleezza Rice

It reminds me of the composer Haydn's words:

"When I think upon my God, my heart is so full of joy that the notes dance and leap from my pen; and since God has given me a cheerful heart, it will be pardoned me that I serve Him with a cheerful spirit." -- Franz Josef Haydn

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Math, I don't really know enough about her to really form a "religious opinion" about her per se... as far as I know she's not pro-life but that's the only thing SO FAR that she and I don't agree on ;)

icer

Rinkside
There was some info posted on a board in my rink from the USFSA (not up anymore, so reporting from memory). It was back in the 70's so they have no record of her competing (which doesn't mean she didn't). She did take some of the lower level dance tests.