Denkova and Stavinski; wedding rings | Golden Skate

Denkova and Stavinski; wedding rings

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I know we discussed it before, but I just saw Maxim's interview with Peter in Japan and he was wearing what appeared to be a wedding ring. First I noticed his left hand (which is how Russians would wear it) and then the same kind of ring on his right hand. any thoughts?

Yana

katherine2001

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan said:
I know we discussed it before, but I just saw Maxim's interview with Peter in Japan and he was wearing what appeared to be a wedding ring. First I noticed his left hand (which is how Russians would wear it) and then the same kind of ring on his right hand. any thoughts?

Yana

Actually, in Russia, if they are Eastern Orthodox (which would include Russian Orthodox), wedding rings are worn on the right hand, as the right hand is the hand of blessing. Wearing wedding rings on the right hand is a Western custom.

Eliza

Rinkside
katherine2001 said:
Actually, in Russia, if they are Eastern Orthodox (which would include Russian Orthodox), wedding rings are worn on the right hand, as the right hand is the hand of blessing. Wearing wedding rings on the right hand is a Western custom.

I think you meant that wearing wedding rings on the left hand is a Western custom.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Wedding rings

As an Orthodox person myself, I wear my ring on my right hand. Many of my friends and myself have the wedding rings of our deceased elders (Grandparents, parents) given to us just prior to their dying, or left to us in their wills. We wear these on our left hands. Maybe he has the same custom in his family? This could explain the two wedding rings. Then again, maybe he just loves jewelery. :agree:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Sorry, I meant the right hand. I am not sure if it is an etirely an Orthodox custom, everybody in the old Soviet Union wore the wedding ring on the right hand. Most likely the origin of this custom is religious. We are Jewish (and so is Maxim actually) but all of my married family members wore the rings on the right hand.

Yana

soogar

Record Breaker
Maybe the rings are just "couple" rings. Lots of steady couples get matching bands without making the commitment. Some countries wear the ring on the right (I think Germany is one for the right, others on the left).

KMK0902

On the Ice
In a lot of countries/cultures you exchange engagement rings. At the wedding only one ring is used for the female.

K