Exhibition Question... | Golden Skate

Exhibition Question...

brenlynn

On the Ice
does anyone know what the typical standard is for exhibitions? is it just the medalists who skate? top four? top five?

i know for the only isu event i've been to, top five skated.

anyone?!

From what I understand it is the top three plus the fourth places to make up the complete afternoon. There is always fear that one disappointed skater may just take the next plane out without giving the exhibition.

Joe

I believe that according to the ISU rules, there is a financial penalty for any prize winner who doesn't stick around for the exhibition.

Chele615

Rinkside
I think it might also depend on the venue and what they want to do numbers wise. Because I know that it was top 4 at Skate Canada this year (since Anabelle and Patrice skated) but it was top 5 at NHK (since Seb and Utako skated). So maybe it varies?

I was hoping that it would be top 5 at this one just to give Katie and Garrett the chance to participate in the exhibitions!!! Boo... hehe

brenlynn

On the Ice
darn. i was hoping it would be top 5 so katie and garrett could skate too!

at Four Continents it was top 5. hoping it would have been the same here too.

Antilles

Medalist
Mathman, you are right about the penalty for not performing in the exhibitions. There is also a rule that says skaters are supposed to use an actual "exhibition" program, meaning they shouldn't be using their SP or LP. There is also a rule that the gold medalists are supposed to do some sort of encore. I read it in one of the various official documents that the ISU sends out. It was probably on their homepage.

I've always seen top five do the exhibitions, and sometimes the top finishers from the host country perform as well, ie I believe Belbin and Agosto performed at Worlds 2003, even though they finished 7th.