Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plush in or out of CoR??

Skating Freak Barbie

Plush in or out of CoR??

There is a posting at FSU with a link to a Russian article, which apparantly (there is no translation, and my Russian is about as good as my Swahili) says Plush may choose NOT to do Cup of Russia. It supposedly quotes Mishin as complaining about his "lost training time, in useless travel" or some such thing. Does anyone have anything more definitive about this yet? I don't know, I think I will believe it (him NOT doing CoR) when his name is called for the short and he's not in the arena!

Kasey

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    So far he is still listed. Unless someone else heard otherwise.

Rinkside
    give me the link to the article and I can translate

Thanks for the offer Mbi, and welcome to the forum. We really appreciate posters with the linguistic skills to do translations. Here is the link:

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/default.asp?id=171827

Mathman

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar

Welcome mbi00!

And I echo Mathman's appreciation for your offer to translate.

I've had a funny feeling he may not show, but like everyone else, I'm interested in finding out for sure.

DG

On the Ice
    I would like to know too! If he IS going I'd have to pick him for Gold Picks....but if he's not that makes it a whole lot easier on me lol I'd pick Johnny

Plushenko is very patriotic. He has always shown gratitude to the Russian skating federation for the opportunities that he has had, and to the Russian fans for supporting him. I don't think he would skip Cup of Russia unless he really is injured.

If he goes to Marshalls I think he'll go to CoR.

MM

Custom Title
    I agree. Either he will do both (COR and Marshalls) or none. If he is a no show in both, I would be very concerned about his health and the remainder of his season.

Vash

Rinkside
    I'm not a professional translater, but the article goes something like this:

Is Plushenko going to skip Cup of Russia?

It came to the attention of the journalists of "sovsport" that the threetimes world champion Evgenij Plushenko maybe won't participate in the the sixth event of grand prix, cup of Russia which will be held 25-28 november in the moscow sport arena "Luzhniki".

The reason -- unprepareness to the only gran prix event in which Plushenko originally wanted to participate at.

Based on the information which we posses, the athlete intented to prepare for the event by participate by doing a series of commersial skatings. However, just like sovsport allready informed, despite the letters from the president of the Russian skating union, the Internation Skating Union forbade the champion to be a part of any such show. Otherwise, he would be discvalified. That is the reason why the russian chose not to skate in Prag 5th november and in Budapest the 6th and was forced to return from Prag to Moscow.

When last thursday, we called Aleej Mishin, the trainer of Plushenko , he straighforwardly stated "We only finished our second practise after the break! The time which Plushenko spent in appereantly meaningless travel is lost. But the competition were training, repeating the elements. If I see that Zhenja (Plushenkos nickname) isn't prepared to execellently skate in the cup of Russia, then I think it is pointless to start. We cannot lose"

The athlete only has a number of days in order to make a final decision about skating in Moscow. And appereantly they are leaning towards skipping. Of course, without Plushenko the tournament will lose its appeal, like it did at the fourth grand prix event, NHK coup in Japan. The viewers then bought tickets to see Plushenko and when they found out he could not make it, they returned them.

From the other side, like Mishin correctly noted, we cannot risk. In Moscow, Evgenijs main competition will be Joubert, and also a strong american skater Weir. (By the way, the first one is being trained by Yagudin and the second by Tarasova). And defeat might result in psycological problems for Evginij. We can remind you that Plushenko, who lost the Grand Prix final to Sandhu last season and then the European championship to Jourbert appereantly suffered from some complexes. It was possibly not a coincidence that he was joined by a psycologist at his competitions.

For Plushenko, the European championships are ahead (24-30 january, Turin) and the world championship (14-20 march, Moscow) at which the tickets to the olympics will be at stake. According to Mishin, his pupil is also plaining to compete in the Russian championships, 4-7 january in Saint-Petersburg.
    --------------------------------------------

Was happy to help

Skating Freak Barbie
    He's been using a sport's psychologist? I guess Mishin's "If you need a psychologist, you're crazy" theory (advanced previously toward Yags in the Olympic year) is out the window now!

Kasey

Thanks so much for the excellent translation, mbi00.

I can't believe that Plushenko has any "complexes" because he lost a couple of contests. He seems totally grounded. Sure, he likes to win -- who doesn't? -- and he expects to win --why shouldn't he? I hope he is not wasting any money having his head shrunk.

I wonder if the author of the article is correct that many people in Japan bought tickets to the NHK competition, but then returned them when Plushenko dropped out.

Mathman

Skating Freak Barbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman

I wonder if the author of the article is correct that many people in Japan bought tickets to the NHK competition, but then returned them when Plushenko dropped out.

Mathman
    I don't know....Skate America (being there), attendance was LOUSY. But from what coverage I've seen on TV of the other events, I don't think it was great anywhere this year...

Kasey

Custom Title
    I am very disappointed but it may be a smart thing to do to skip COR. He cannot afford to lose his ranking to either Weir or Joubert. If he is not ready, he is better off not competing. He could skip Marshall's and focus on getting ready for the Russian Nationals.

It's going to be a boring COR but I would rather see him skate well later than lose at home.

Vash

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey
    He's been using a sport's psychologist? I guess Mishin's "If you need a psychologist, you're crazy" theory (advanced previously toward Yags in the Olympic year) is out the window now!

Kasey

How wonderfully ironic!

My concern with Evgeny is the knee. How is that? He should not be down trodden over Joubert and Weir. Evgeny has a style, something Brian should work on. Evgeny has more than one quad, something Johnny should work on at least one quad.

This is sad news, and whatever it is that is keeping him from all these competitions, I hope he gets over them. Hope, too, he makes Euros. He's too good a champion not to be in the mix.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast