Equestrians on GS | Golden Skate

Equestrians on GS

Linny

Final Flight
Someone asked about horse people on GS. I'll start the thread and hope that the rest of you'all will pipe in.

I ride dressage at USEF 2nd level. My horse is a 7 year old mare who I bought as a weanling and trained to saddle. I don't have a lot of experience, but I have a lot of qualified assistance, support and great luck.

I also teach elementary riding lessons and run a small boarding stable.

Dressage is a bit like ice dancing... the "dressage tests" are like the first phase of ice dancing where everyone does the same dance. After that, we have a "freestyle" where the horse/rider perform required movements using their own choreography and music.

Linny

Johar

Medalist
I always thought Dressage looked very difficult.

BTW, have you hear it may be phased out of the next summer olympic games, along with show jumping and the cross country?

bronxgirl

Medalist
They've talked about dropping the equestrian sports before. I don't know if the fact that three horses tested positive at the last games will have any impact.
As for me, I learned hunt seat (but started at an age when I was old enough to realize how far down it was to the ground), I took up dressage after a break of some years, (actually in NYC), and need to start riding again. There is no other feeling like being on a horse. :agree:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi all!

Linny, I always wished I had learned dressage. To me it just seems like the ultimate in the horse and rider becoming one. Congratulations on your success! It sounds like you and your horse must be very bonded since you've been together since she was a baby.

I grew up riding American Saddlebreds. My Mom and her Dad shared that dream together. LOL, Grandad had champaign taste but a beer budget, so we had a lot of fun but not a lot of success.

Later on in life I bought a Standardbred who was shown in what's called the "Road Horse Division" at the Saddlebred shows. Go fast and look pretty was the name of the game, and we did very well - won some nice shows together. It's such an expensive hobby though (at least in that realm of the sport) that I gave it up and just enjoy happy memories these days.

My Mom got into miniature horses and shetland ponies later in life. She's in her 70's but still gets out there and shows. It's fun to see her having so much fun at this time in her life.

Drugs seem to be such a pervasive problem at the high levels of horse sports, regardless of which dicipline. The top Saddlebreds all get tested at the high level shows, and there's always somebody trying to figure out a way around the system. A few years ago there was a big scandal at the World Championships in Louisville. I guess people had taken to using some kind of snake venom of all things to "hype" the horses. Several horses apparently died at this show from a "bad batch." I can only hope that someone is in jail for this - sounds like animal abuse to me. What will they think of next??

DG

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I have shown Appaloosa's and Quarter horses since I was seven..I just turned 30 this year.. I show in the all around amateur divisions.. English, western, fence classes, etc... My family also raises horses.. We raise 2-4 babies a year.. This year at the App Worlds I won three classes on my western pleasure 4 yr old gelding.. This is also a horse in which we raised from a baby.. It has been a great experience working with these animals..many we raised ourselves and were not bought.. Also, it has been wonderful working with different trainers from around the country and making lifelong friends..This is a sport just as much as any other physical competition..I believe there is no other greater achievment than a human and animal working as one to acomplish goals.. Like I said before it has been an excellent experience.. I wouldn't trade it for the world.. even with all the ups and downs.....................................Peace