On Sarah Hughes | Golden Skate

On Sarah Hughes

A

ApacheApache

On Sarah Hughes

I like this kid (not her skating), she's very nice, humble, and level-headed, she showed lots of courage by showing up at 2003 Worlds. It was heartbreaking seeing the picture of her crying after her horrifying performance in the qualifying round. Imagine being in her shoes, damned if you did damned if you didn't. Had she withdrawn due to undertraining, she would've been accused of chickening out, so she participated and ended up at sixth and she was admonished for having not been well prepared. They suggested she should've let an alternative who was more committed take her place. I respect her for having to deal with all this crap.

Now that being said, I'd advise Sarah to stop explaining why her performance was not up to standards. Those are valid reasons - distractions, undertraining, ...etc...etc, but saying those things over and over and over in each competition she has entered this season would only make her sound like making excuses.

M

mathman444

Re: On Sarah Hughes

I think that Sarah has already followed your advice, Apache. I don't remember hearing Sarah herself offering excuses about undertraining, post-Olympic responsiibilities and opportunities, school, etc. To me, these are things that other people have been saying sbout her.

Mathman

S

sk8ing lady2001

I like Sarah's skating, as well as her kindness and generosity toward others. She is very level-headed and I like that in Sarah, of course, also. You rock, girl! :)

L

Lynn1951

These were Sarah's comments after her programs:

Qual. round:
Sarah Hughes (USA), 2002 Olympic Champion
"I have two more programs, hopefully. I’m looking forward to feeling better, just warm up. It’s hard. I haven’t had the practice competing much this year, but I won’t blame that for everything. The Olympics changed my life a lot off the ice. It’s an adjustment year. I’m just looking forward to get my feet back on the ice, competing. Hopefully it will go better the next two programs. I felt a little tight. My body is a little tired right now. I had a strong opening combination. It’s ok, it’s one program."

Short program:
"I’m really pleased with my skate. It’s been an extremely difficult long year after winning the Olympics. I’m just glad that I could be here."

Long program:
"It’s not easy being an Olympic Champion. I’m glad that’s over, just that flip. (On the fall) It didn’t go up straight but sometimes I can save it, the fall hurt. It’s been an incredibly difficult year. I have a lot to look forward to, a lot of choices. I wanted to see how it was to come back and compete."

Whatever Sarah decides to do with her life, I hope it's what she wants and that she'll be happy.:D

Lynn

M

mathman444

Thanks, Lynn. (And thanks for not prefacing your post with, Mathman, you idiot... :) )

MM

C

CuteGreekGoddess

<span style="color:blue;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:x-small;"><strong>
me too Lynn
I wish that for her too
I hope she is happy doing what she chooses
and does it well </strong></span>

L

Lynn1951