Ryan Jahnke | Golden Skate

Ryan Jahnke

S

SkateFan4Life

I'm crossing my fingers that Ryan Jahnke will make the US World Team this year and also make the 2006 Olympic team. This guy has a tremendous amount of artistry and performance skill; however, he seems to be perpetually challenged to land his triple axels. If he does land all of his triples and performs at the top of his game, I think he has a good shot of winning another US bronze medal.

Jahnke's style has flair, class, and maturity. I really enjoyed his Brazilian music long program from this past season. It was terrific. Good luck, Ryan!

http://www.usfsa.org/AthleteBio.asp?id=2286

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Yay, Jahnke!

Not just bronze, but silver too I think is totally within his reach. :yes: What I hope for is gold, but I know that's a reach considering nationals is still 6.0 system this year. The judges will probably lean towards Goebel's quads and Weir is of course a favorite.
Hopefully Ryan will make the GPF this year and raise his profile and credentials a little bit before nationals.

Vash01

Medalist
Given Goebel's most recent injury, I don't think he will be a factor at the US Nationals. The USN title is Johnny's to win or lose. I like Jahnke'e chances for silver, unless Weiss pulls off a great performance in the LP. I expect both Ryan and Mike to make one mistake each in the SP (that's not very encouraging, is it?)

Vash

I don't think Ryun (am I wrong to use the 'u'?) is a top tier skater but that can change. My definition of a top tier skater is one who makes it into the 'last group to skate' at the Worlds. Although it's subject to change after I see US Nats and Euros, I have at the moment Evgeni, Brian, Stephane, Johnny, Adrei, and either Eman or Jeff. BTW, the 'next to last group to skate' are an interesting bunch, too, and I'm sure one of them will upset the apple cart. It might be Ryun, or Chengjiang, Michael, Evan, Stefan L, and one further to be announced. :laugh:

Joe

Last edited:

dr.frog

On the Ice
Ryan's name is spelled "Ryan", not "Ryun".

BTW, I don't really think Ryan is sitting at home thinking, "gee, maybe if some other skaters screw up I'll be able to win a bronze medal this year if I'm really lucky"! I think he's got his sights set a little higher than that. ;)

shine

Record Breaker
IMO, to put a skater like Ryan Jahnke in the same category with Chengjiang Li (Who I like a lot), Stephane Lindemann, Evan Lycasek, and Michael Weiss is simply absurd.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ryan is such a nice guy. I had the chance to visit with him in the airport on my way home from Skate Canada. I think he can give some a run for their money.

Dee

shine said:
IMO, to put a skater like Ryan Jahnke in the same category with Chengjiang Li (Who I like a lot), Stephane Lindemann, Evan Lycasek, and Michael Weiss is simply absurd.
If you wouldn't put him in the last 6 to skate or the next to last 6 to skate, where would you put him and who else would be in that group?

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
shine said:

I do not see it absurd to put Jahnke in the same gategory with e.g. Stefan Lindemann (the "reigning" World bronze medallist), Weiss (6th in Worlds) and Li (10th). Jahnke was not even participating in Worlds.

The future will show whether Jahnke is competing in next Worlds and if he is, which place he may achieve..

Marjaana

S

SkateFan4Life

With Timothy Goebel's recent injury (ugh) and Michael Weiss's patented inconsistency in his quads and triple axels (ugh) - IMHO - Ryan Jahnke has a good shot at making the World Team this year. Silver may well be within his range - BUT he absolutely must, must, must land those triple axels!

IMHO, the National title is Johnny Weir's to win or lose.

Jahnke is a complete skater - smooth, athletic, elegant, artistic, masculine - and he has interesting choregraphy and choices of music.

GO, RYAN!! đź‘Ť

lil lion 816

Rinkside
I've admired this skater for years - I was tickled when he won the bronze at Nationals in '03 and think it's possible he should have been on the World team last year.

I've been frustrated at times by the inconsistencies, and then I was frustrated because it seemed Ryan wasn't getting the credit from the judges when he was able to put it together more often. :sheesh:

This year has been a breakthrough year for him on the Grand Prix circuit and I think it has helped to build his confidence a great deal. He'll need that going into Nationals because as someone else pointed out there is still a 6.0 system in place at Nationals. I think it's well within his capacity to make the World team again, and if he can maintain the confidence as well as have a consistent competition I have no problem with seeing him make the top 5 (at least) at Worlds. :rock:

nicole_l

Final Flight
I'm also liking Ryan's chances for silver this year. :love: He did great on the GP this year, which is awesome. The men's field is getting very, very tough in the US now, though, with three former national champions eligible.