Sasha Cohen's "Day in the Life" | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's "Day in the Life"

S

SkateFan4Life

Here's a link to a "Day in the Life" from Sasha Cohen's official website.
I hope she eats more than she states in this report; otherwise, how could she maintain her strength and energy during practices? Just an observation, of course.

http://www.sashacohen.com/life.shtml

IDLERACER

Medalist
When I saw the title of this post, I assumed that you were indicating that she was going to skate to yet another one of Michelle Kwan's old routines. :p

skatepixie

On the Ice
Well, she eats more breakfast than I do...lol.

I really dont see cause for concern...it doesnt say how big the omlette is or how much lunch she has...

Lotta

On the Ice
She should soon change "On ice with Tatiana" to "On ice with Robin".

Hmm vegetable omelette? sounds... interesting.

Francilienne

Spectator
Although an egg white vegetable omlette is a healthy start to the day, I'm a little concerned to see no carbohydrate in there; even a bannana instead of the apple would make me feel a little more certain that Sasha's getting all the essential nutrients she needs to function properly as both an athlete and a woman.

And to the poster who said Sasha eats more brekkie than you, I say breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Not eating breakfast and thus prolonging the "fast" is a sure way to reduce your metabolism; your body goes into starvation mode and thus becomes more and more effecient in its caloric expenditure. In the long run this can lead to rapid weight gain as soon as anything other than a severely restricted eating pattern is resummed.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I vaugely remember another section on sasha's page where she answered fan questions on nutrition and she listed her favorite foods as fish, vegtables and whole grains... I dont think we need to worry about what she is eating. I bet she has a nutritionalist on her team.

Hi, Francilienne. Welcome to the forum! :)

Is Sasha still a spokesperson for the beef industry?

Mathman

rtureck

Final Flight
skatepixie said:
Well, she eats more breakfast than I do

I guess that is why you are the pixie skater. I won't use the amount you eat for breakfast as a measuring stick for sure.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
maybe she's on one of those stupid low carb diets. :p
But her diet seems fine to me...3 squares, and a snack. Certanly more than I eat in a given day.

R.D.

Record Breaker
rtureck said:
I guess that is why you are the pixie skater. I won't use the amount you eat for breakfast as a measuring stick for sure.

:laugh:

I'm more than sure she's eating what's right for her. IIRC she took a nutrition class so she should know better.

Francilienne said:
Although an egg white vegetable omlette is a healthy start to the day, I'm a little concerned to see no carbohydrate in there; even a bannana instead of the apple would make me feel a little more certain that Sasha's getting all the essential nutrients she needs to function properly as both an athlete and a woman.

And to the poster who said Sasha eats more brekkie than you, I say breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Not eating breakfast and thus prolonging the "fast" is a sure way to reduce your metabolism; your body goes into starvation mode and thus becomes more and more effecient in its caloric expenditure. In the long run this can lead to rapid weight gain as soon as anything other than a severely restricted eating pattern is resummed.
Welcome, Francilienne. You're a poster after my own heart where diet and nutrition are concerned, particularly for athletes.

The thing about this jounal entry is that because she keeps referring to "On ice with Tatiana" she must be talking about LAST autumn. So this tells us what she was doing a year ago, before she broke with TAT, but nothing about how she trained with Robin Wagner before her injury. That's what I want to know, did she stop or start doing something that brought on her back reinjury? Or was it just a matter of cumulative stress over time?

And Sasha, please, tell us if you pick the music for your programs or if your coaches do? I know you picked "Carmen" and the "Rachmaninoff," but I read in an article that you didn't even want to do "Swan Lake" until Tatiana explained the whole concept of what it would be. So who picked the "Nutcracker Pas de Deux", Sasha? You or Robin Wagner?

Also, who did last season's second "Swan Lake" costume? I loved the first one, but the second one -- :sheesh:. Who designed this year's "Nutcracker" costume? I think it's your best since your SP costume for the Olympics.

And Sasha, please, who's behind the quad business? Do you really want to keep trying to do one or are you chasing somebody else's dream? Miki Ando already has the first ratified quad by a female. Wouldn't getting a consistent 3/3 get you almost as many points and be easier on your body?

Finally, how do you like this headline? SASHA COHEN FIRST SKATER TO COMPETE IN HINGED FIGURE SKATING BOOT. Sounds good to me ;).

Good luck. Hope your back has healed well and that you get that inconsistency monkey off that gorgeous back of yours.
Rgirl

Johar

Medalist
While I haven't read the link, I believe Sasha has taken college classes via correspondence on nutrition.

Francilienne

Spectator
First of all thank you to all the people who have welcomed me! You've certainly done GSF's reputation as a friendly board no harm.

Johar said:
While I haven't read the link, I believe Sasha has taken college classes via correspondence on nutrition.

Yes, but KNOWING a lot about nutrition and eating that way are two entirely different things. However, Sasha does not appear to be gaunt, have sallow skin, thinning hair or swollen glands, so I think we can assume that her extreme thinness is a genetic pre-disposition as opposed to disordered eating.

The reason I am more concerned about Sasha's stated food intake is the example it sets for others. Fans want to be just like Sasha, and thus are likely to take what Sasha says about food as gospel. There is a huge difference between what people publicly admit to eating and what they do actually eat, but if you ltake a good look around Sasha's site you do find mentions of a range of foods (beef, yougurt, vegetables, but oddly no carbohydrate other than those found in fruits and veggies), however it is spread out, with the most cohesive "food plan", is the nuritionally deficient omellette and apple in the DITL section.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm completely condemning Sasha because I'm not: I think it is a good thing that she is atempting to address such an important issue on her website, however, I think the delivery of her healthy eating message could be improved.

nuggetr

Rinkside
IDLERACER said:
When I saw the title of this post, I assumed that you were indicating that she was going to skate to yet another one of Michelle Kwan's old routines. :p
Don't know if you are kidding here but if not what are drinking tonight?? Sasha do one of Michelle's routines made me :rofl: !! Why would Sasha want one of Michelle's routines? Sasha does a beautiful job with her own originality, she sure doesn't need Michelle in that department. And why oh why would she want to do a routine where all she did was skate around the ice and just fling her arms at invisable ice monsters. Not the smartest statemant I have seen on here....... :agree:

gezando

Final Flight
nuggetr said:
why oh why would she want to do a routine where all she did was skate around the ice and just fling her arms at invisable ice monsters. Not the smartest statemant I have seen on here....... :agree:

Well Sasha already did that , ie skating arrond the ice in the zzz boring robin version swan lake program at worlds 03 free skate. Anyways a day in the life brought Michelle a world gold, I say MK swing at invisible ice monsters or visible ones too who streaked before her skate or tried to bump into her in warm up ice practice.

BTW, I think idleracer is very smart, and he makes smart statement all the time, including the one you quoted here. So IMHO, the "not smart" wasn't Idle's statement, maybe the interpretation??????

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Francilienne said:
The reason I am more concerned about Sasha's stated food intake is the example it sets for others. Fans want to be just like Sasha, and thus are likely to take what Sasha says about food as gospel. There is a huge difference between what people publicly admit to eating and what they do actually eat, but if you ltake a good look around Sasha's site you do find mentions of a range of foods (beef, yougurt, vegetables, but oddly no carbohydrate other than those found in fruits and veggies), however it is spread out, with the most cohesive "food plan", is the nuritionally deficient omellette and apple in the DITL section.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm completely condemning Sasha because I'm not: I think it is a good thing that she is atempting to address such an important issue on her website, however, I think the delivery of her healthy eating message could be improved.

I agree with much of what you say. Sasha Cohen has legions of loyal fans, quite a few of whom may want so much to be like her that they accept what she writes concerning nutrition as the last word on the subject. While I certainly accept Sasha's right to post whatever she pleases, and since nutrition is an important subject for any athlete, it's a very appropriate topic, I would hope that everyone realizes that what Sasha eats may not necessarily be best for them.
With all due respect to Sasha, she is not a professional nutritionist and is not qualified to dispel advice to people as to what they should or should not eat. Certainly, friendly advice is OK, but let's take it with a grain of salt.

That being said, IMHO, Sasha's eating regimen seems to be working fine for her. She has a strong, sleek, healthy body.

R.D.

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
With all due respect to Sasha, she is not a professional nutritionist and is not qualified to dispel advice to people as to what they should or should not eat. Certainly, friendly advice is OK, but let's take it with a grain of salt.

That being said, IMHO, Sasha's eating regimen seems to be working fine for her. She has a strong, sleek, healthy body.

I certainly agree that what diet works for one person won't work for another. That's why I wonder why so many people seem to be concerned with what she's eating. IMO it doesn't matter as long as it works for her.

I agree with the above statement to some degree. Not saying to totally disregard it but she isn't an expert or pro in any of these fields. I think occasionally one might get the impression that she "knows it all" by reading one of these pages. I just shake my head.

Last edited: