Sarah Hughes & COI in Dispute | Golden Skate

Sarah Hughes & COI in Dispute

E

eltamina

Re: Sarah Hughes & COI in Dispute

Please work things out, I want to see Sarah at COI

<span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">
Congratulaions Fumie</span>!!!!

<span style="color:red;font-size:x-small;">eltamina, totally mesmerized by Fumie's edges</span>

D

dlksk8fan

This sounds like it might get very messy. Could it be since she didn't do great at world's that she and her dad are thinking of other options?
One says there was a contract to do the show the other says there wasn't-enter the lawyers:smokin:

H

heyang

Actually I was wondering if Sarah would skate the full tour this year. It seems as though she has been very busy with post-Oly obligations, skating almost every stop on COI's last summer tour and recovering from injury. I thought she may want to take a breather just to relax before making some life impacting decisions. Also, if she decides to remain eligible, she'll want to train more rigorously for next season.

Even if it weren't for this current dispute, I think it would be wise for Sarah to not perform at every tour stop. Actually, I think it's a good idea for any of the skaters who have had injuries.

I'll be seeing COI at the Meadowlands on Sunday afternoon. If they make any announcements, I'll let you know.

M

maxell1313

I could understand Sarah not wanting to skate the full tour last year as it was 93 performances in 80-something cities, but this year the whole tour has been scaled back to 27 shows, period. If she wants to take time to finish out her senior year and choose her college, I don't think anyone's got a problem with that, but she and her "staff" need to come out and say so. Otherwise it starts sounding a lot like the excuses that Tara started with and then one thing builds on another, etc, etc.

If she's having a dispute with Collins because she probably won't close the show, there's really no one to blame in that scenario. The hard truth is that Michelle gets butts in the seats, so she gets to close the show. Sarah got to close last year, and rightfully so, as the Olympic winner, but the Olympics were last year.

B

BronzeisGolden02

Sarah and the Tour

Well, I certainly don't think Collins would be foolish enough to spend thousands of dollars on advertising featuring a skater he wasn't sure would be on the tour. I hate to hear this for Sarah, especially with her coming off of a disappointing Worlds that only deepened the confusion. As for closing the show, I think that should be reserved for the reigning World Champion, or in Olympic years the Olympic Champion. It obviously doesn't sound Sarah-ish and that's why I get leary when parents are involved in their children's careers (especially high-level sports careers). For example, wasn't Tiffany Chin's mother just horrible in the 80s? I always felt so sorry for Tara, her mother seemed so abrasive and controlling. And though it was sweet, I felt weird seeing Danny Kwan sitting with Michelle at the Olympics, etc. I'm not saying Sarah's father is the overly intrusive type, I really don't have enough information to support such a claim, but I just feel it's a bad idea to begin with.