Men's FS... | Golden Skate

Men's FS...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
OK. Just being honest here. Johnny doesn't HAVE to pee his pants with nerves - I'm doing that for him, thank you very much.

AAAGGGGHHHH!!!! Go Johnny.

DG

Hikaru

Final Flight
good for evan! of and now Shawn is in the lead. Interesting and interesting!

Last edited:

Hikaru

Final Flight
yeap! he got the highest score in a free skate at this GP series! I'm really looking forward to see his FS, 'cause he's again using music by Edvin Marton :love:

Hikaru

Final Flight
whoa Min zhang is gonna make it to the podium!! I liked his skate at CoC.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Oh Johnny...

GREAT job on the silver for COR. 4th place in TES - wonder what happened. Almost 25 points total behind Plush. While I would dream of an upset victory for Johnny, it's not fair at all to "expect" that of him. He's a youngster in this field, and has had an AWESOME year. Onward and forward...

DG

Hikaru

Final Flight
ggood skate for Johnny, though not at teh level he had at NHK. His PC scores are close to Evgeny's (about 3 points away or so), but he beat him with the TES, so Johnny has homework to do if he wants to overcome the difference. However its going to be good to see him skate against Jeffrey, and the other GPF contenders. can't wait!!!!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I give Johnny tons of credit!!

Johnny is the "up and comer" while Plush is the "master." Good for Johnny, in his position, to at least knock on Plush's door. Barring major injuriies, 2006 is shaping up to be a very interesting year!!

DG

Hikaru

Final Flight
http://www.isufs.org/results/gprus04/GPRUS04_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

OK here's the description of the free skate. Plushenko's program had a base value of 72.50, but he got a total score of 76.50. Johnny's base value was 52.60, but he got 57.54. Johnny doubled 2 jumps. Plushy had his 4t-3t combo, but maybe it wasn't clean 'cause he got severla -1 -2 and a -3 deduction. Johnny's spins I think had a higher level than Plushy's.

Not surprised at the top two in either SP or LP. Although this Olys is not Johnny's goal, I still think it would be wise to up his TES. That underrotated 3A marked down to 2A together with all its consequences did him in. This just may give him the impetus not to be so smug.

Min has it all. He just has to get it together and that means a very special coach, and Lee Ann Miller.

This might be what Sawyer needed to join to top 12 skaters in the world.

Evan is winning over his junior rival but that's not enough. I wonder if he was still hurting? He did have 2 deductions.

BTW, what is keeping Andrei down? He did have 1 deduction.

On to the Final!!!

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Question for you Joe...

This just may give him the impetus not to be so smug.
I'm curious about when Johhny has been "smug" in your opinion. I've probably missed something - I just haven't seen anything from him in press quotes or interviews that makes me think he's acting smug.

Just curious - like I said, I probably missed something.

DG

BittyBug

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Although this Olys is not Johnny's goal, I still think it would be wise to up his TES. That underrotated 3A marked down to 2A together with all its consequences did him in.
:confused: Why do you think that Johnny is not gunning for Torino? But I do agree that it would be nice if he could up his TES.

In this comp, Johnny missed the axel and his triple flip (which is supposed to be in combination with a double toe). Comparing his 3A from NHK to CoR - 8.1 vs. 2.04 gets you 6.06 points lost. For the flip, comparing NHK to CoR he got 8.1 vs. 2.1, gets you another 6 points, so he lost 12.06 points on those two jumps alone. Even without those two mistakes, though, he'd still be 10 points short of Plushenko, or just about a well-executed quad.

Nonetheless, Johnny had an outstanding Grand Prix debut and goes into the final as the top qualifier. I'd say that's a pretty excellent showing. :agree:

mpal2

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
I'm curious about when Johhny has been "smug" in your opinion. I've probably missed something - I just haven't seen anything from him in press quotes or interviews that makes me think he's acting smug.

Just curious - like I said, I probably missed something.

DG
I can't speak for Joe, but Johhny has made comments regarding Plushy's presentation and the rest of the world catching up to him.

Johnny lost in the technical and was extremely close in the "presentation" side of the marks. Without the benefit of actually seeing this competition yet, it looks like Johnny Weir has closed the gap and just needs to add that quad to give Plushy a run for gold.

I say "just" like that's an easy thing to do. :laugh: We know it's not so we'll have to see how that plays out. Go Johnny!!!

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
Lotta said:
Saw the results. Wonder who Shawn Sawyer is? :)

Check out my comment I made on the Men's SP thread. I gave some details about him there.

Herios - Joseph :)

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
So I guess we have our answer...Johnny can't beat Evgeny without a quad.

They both had huge issues in their programs, and yet Evgeny still won by a large margin.

He needs to get that quad if he has any chance of overtaking Evgeny.