Arakawa withdraws from Marshalls; Onda added | Golden Skate

Arakawa withdraws from Marshalls; Onda added

Lucy25

Final Flight
Excidra2001 said:
I don't blame her, she needs the time off. Now i'm crossing my fingers for Irina to withdraw as well.
Bite your tongue! :p While I think it would be smart for Irina to pull out, I selfishly hope she does not so that I can see her compete live again.

Best wishes to Shizuka!

Lucy25

Final Flight
katherine2001 said:
Afraid that Irina might be able to beat her favorite, maybe?
Hardly. I am pretty sure Excidra would like Irina to withdraw so she can rest and prepare for her upcoming events.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
But it would be nice to see her go up against Sasha and Michelle to see where she stands with those two, even though this will be scored as the 6.0 system

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I think this is a good move on Shizuka's part. She can now prepare for the Grand Prix Final. I also hope Irina doesn't withdraw. It will be great to see her back in top form competing against Michelle. I've missed their friendly rivalry.

Vash01

Medalist
It is a good move for Shizuka. She has lost two GP's in a row. She needs to tweak her program so that she can be more comfortable with it. Also, she is just recovering from the flu, so it is good for her to not take on the strain of international travel right away.

I wish Irina would withdraw so that her body gets some rest. She has the major competitions coming up- GPF, RN, Euro and worlds. Why waste time on Marshalls? However, I have a feeling that she will skate.

Vash

lavender said:
Irina is her favorite.
His favorite, LOL.

I owe a personal debt to Excidra for helping me to see the beauty and excelence of Irina's skating!

Mathman:)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
With the medical expenses for both herself and her mother, I'm sure that Irina needs the money from the cheesefest. Aren't Russian skaters allowed to skip Nats, and earn their way to the World team at Euros? IIRC, Yagudin didn't skate at Nats to earn his SLC Oly berth; he skipped Nats, but won Euros (while Plushy won Nats, but skipped Euros)

lavender

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
His favorite, LOL.

I owe a personal debt to Excidra for helping me to see the beauty and excelence of Irina's skating!

Oops..sorry Excidra. Thanks Mathman.

Excidra2001

On the Ice
Mathman said:
His favorite, LOL.

Thanx for correcting the others. Because of the 'a' at the end of my name, members think i'm a female. I get that all the time.

Excidra2001

On the Ice
attyfan said:
With the medical expenses for both herself and her mother, I'm sure that Irina needs the money from the cheesefest. Aren't Russian skaters allowed to skip Nats, and earn their way to the World team at Euros? IIRC, Yagudin didn't skate at Nats to earn his SLC Oly berth; he skipped Nats, but won Euros (while Plushy won Nats, but skipped Euros)

Yeah, i'm sure she can use the money. I believe the Russian federation allows their skaters to keep the money they earn at cheesefests so if Irina wins the 50k, she pockets most of it and gives a small precentage to her agent.
Yes, Russian skaters are expected to compete at Nationals, its where they can secure their World/Euro spot. When you are a top skater(Slutskaya, Yagudine, Plushy etc) and an injury occurs before Nationals and I believe in the case of Yagudine it did, chances are you will be able to skip the Nationals and still end up on the World/Euro team.

S

SkateFan4Life

Vash01 said:
It is a good move for Shizuka. She has lost two GP's in a row. She needs to tweak her program so that she can be more comfortable with it. Also, she is just recovering from the flu, so it is good for her to not take on the strain of international travel right away.Vash

IMHO, perhaps Shizuka is feeling the weight of being World Champion. When you're the #1 skater in the world, you're supposed to be great all the time, and that's a difficult burden to bear.

I hope she recovers from the flu and arrives at the 2005 Worlds ready to compete and defend her title. She is a beautiful skater, and I want to see her skate her best! :biggrin:

Excidra2001

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
IMHO, perhaps Shizuka is feeling the weight of being World Champion. When you're the #1 skater in the world, you're supposed to be great all the time, and that's a difficult burden to bear.

I hope she recovers from the flu and arrives at the 2005 Worlds ready to compete and defend her title. She is a beautiful skater, and I want to see her skate her best! :biggrin:

I some-what agree, but not really. Has Shizuka been consistent with her skating prior to winning the world title? I can't really say I payed much attention to her before she won the world title. It seems to me that the stars were really lined up for her in Dortmund. Also, who said world champions are supposed to skate to their potential at each competition, Slutskaya didn't, kwan didn't and many other world champions didn't. They are human and they will make mistakes more often then we think.

But good luck to Shizuka, I hope she comes with the goods at GPF, she needs to get one up on Irina.