Where is Naomi Nari Nam? | Golden Skate

Where is Naomi Nari Nam?

Arianne

On the Ice
Just wondering if Naomi plans to compete this season. Does anyone know if she is skating this year? I know she skated regionals last year. Any updates is apprecitated!

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I'm glad to see that there are more NNN fans out there. I just loved her when she first burst on the scene... I remember watching nationals the year she came in second and thinking oh god poor MK another teeny bopper will beat her in the next olympics (come to think of it I was right... just that it was a different teeny bopper).

I think she didnt qualify for regionals or sectionals or whatever this year (also this would be a good point for me to ask someone to explain to me how all these lower level competitions work).

How in the world does the heirarchy of competitions go, what do you need to do to get to nationals? to compete on the grand prix etc.

I am still hoping that NNN will get back into fighting form again and be around in the 2006 medals race.

nicole_l

Final Flight
A skater starts at Regionals. If she places in the top 4, she goes to Sectionals. If she places in the top 4 at Sectionals, she goes to Nationals. Skaters are assigned to the Grand Prix by the home country, I think. That usually goes by their placement at the previous Nationals or Worlds. There are also 4 Team Envelopes at http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp . This is usually how USFS will assign international assignments.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
thanks for the helpful insight nicole! I have more questions for you or anyone who would like to answer...

What is the progression of levels? novice, junior senior .... It seems like there are just about a bazillion levels. Are these levels based on tests?

nicole_l said:
A skater starts at Regionals. If she places in the top 4, she goes to Sectionals. If she places in the top 4 at Sectionals, she goes to Nationals. Skaters are assigned to the Grand Prix by the home country, I think. That usually goes by their placement at the previous Nationals or Worlds. There are also 4 Team Envelopes at http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp . This is usually how USFS will assign international assignments.

Nice description of the Rules, Nicole. But anyone know how Naomi did this past season if she skated in Regionals or Sectionals or both?

Joe

dr.frog

On the Ice
Naomi did not compete at regionals this year, or (AFAIK) at any club competitions earlier in the season, either. It's been 5 years since her last appearance at Nationals, and if she's now decided it's time to move on with her life, I hope fans will respect her decision to do so.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Longhornliz said:
What is the progression of levels? novice, junior senior .... It seems like there are just about a bazillion levels. Are these levels based on tests?

Yes-- you can read all about the levels and test rules at:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/m_rules.htm

There are 5 qualifying levels in the U.S. to Nationals: Juvenile, Intermediate, Novice, Junior, Senior.

"Junior" Nationals -- the national championships for the juvenile and intermediate levels -- is this week in Jamestown, NY -- see: http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=28028

"Senior" Nationals in Portland in January will be the national championships for the novice, junior and senior levels.

Edited to add... Nam was a Juvenile and Novice National champion and a National silver medalist. Even if her career is over, she can be proud of her skating accomplishments.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Just a note that the photos at the link above were all from last (2003-04) season. As far as I know, Nam has not competed since her 5th place finish at Pacific Coast Sectionals in November 2003.

jesslily

Final Flight
Longhornliz, thanks for the great pictures of NNN. In my mind, NNN is still that 13 years old talented little girl, who has amazing spins, outstanding ability of expressing herself in in-betweens, great jumping power, mostly that confidence and uniqe christma. Since NNN I haven't seen any 13 years old who has the package NNN had.

GrandmaD

Spectator
This is the first time I have ever posted on a skating website, but I keep seeing this question about Naomi. I did see her skate at the Ice Palace in Yorba Linda last year. She looked pretty good, but is a little heavy. I saw her in Aug. or Sept. of this year at the Ice Palace in Aliso Viejo and I think, do not quote me, she is coaching for Mr. Nicks along with Jennie and Todd.

cheekers85

Rinkside
jesslily said:
Longhornliz, thanks for the great pictures of NNN. In my mind, NNN is still that 13 years old talented little girl, who has amazing spins, outstanding ability of expressing herself in in-betweens, great jumping power, mostly that confidence and uniqe christma. Since NNN I haven't seen any 13 years old who has the package NNN had.

Naomi Nari Nam was brillant,- when she grew she seemed to develop such natural power. I miss her so much. Those photos from SWP skating are so gorgeous. She looks so beautiful. I don't think her growth was the problem, her jump were a mess. Her technique was always awesome on spins and she had good edging and all. She did did alot of mature advanced thigns so well at such a young age. But some of her jumps always looked like she was going up on a hope and prayer. I'm not an expert enough to point out exactly was what was wrong. But she had problems with the growth I think, becuase it wasn't right to begin with. I'm so glad she's skating again though. There is a chance she could grab that third spot if she starts to skate again a bit like she used to. (I agree with whoever said that.) It's wide open! She is breathtaking.... I miss her too! And I remembering her programs and work now. :love: Now, I've always really liked Sasha but for the most part, I felt Naomi was the more talented one...and we know how good Sasha is. I hope Naomi gets it together somehow and stops being so unlucky with injuries and all. It would be wonderful if she could reach her potential especially after so much hardship. :cry:

-edited for horrendous spelling :eek: and I added emoticons for the heck of it. :)

Last edited:
Her "Itty bitty pretty one" exhibition number is in the hall of fame, for sure! :love: Also her short program at 1999 Nationals.

MM