Kulic And The Arabian Cartwheel. | Golden Skate

Kulic And The Arabian Cartwheel.

KULIC AND THE ARABIAN CARTWHEEL

I don't think I've seen this in any competition. What it is, is a cartwheel with no hands. One often sees them done in sucession during finales of shows, but not Ice Shows,.

I have tried them off the ice and found them very difficult to do. However, some friends would work on them feverishly off the ice and maybe one or two would be able to do them on the ice. Ilia Kulic's is fantastic. It should not be confused with butterflies which are totally different and totally extremely easy. Butterflies are more like flying camels without the camels.

My question is: Since the back sommersault is a no-no in ISU competitions, would the Arabian Cartwheel also be invalid?

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
KULIC AND THE ARABIAN CARTWHEEL
My question is: Since the back sommersault is a no-no in ISU competitions, would the Arabian Cartwheel also be invalid?

Joe

I think the Arabian cartwheel would be invalid in ISU competitions, as it's more of a "circus" maneuver than a skating element. How would the judges assign a technical score to such a move? It's not a jump, spin, or the like. I think the move looks great in exhibitions and shows, and Ilia Kulik does a fantantic Arabian cartwheel, with a lot of style and flair.

IMHO, of course. :biggrin:

IDLERACER

Medalist
I've always thought of this move as being just an exagerated arabian butterfly. The main difference, is that a butterfly usually leads directly into something else (often a sitspin), whereas a cartwheel is a jump in itself, and not just a prelude to another element.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
IDLERACER said:
The main difference, is that a butterfly usually leads directly into something else (often a sitspin), whereas a cartwheel is a jump in itself, and not just a prelude to another element.

Joe mentions this in his post on Kristi show thread about Ilia´s Arabian cartwheel:

> And did anyone notice the arabian cartwheel Ilia executed? I remember way back when many pro skaters were working on it, Many did it on the floor but could not do it on the ice. And in this case, Ilia shot right into a falling leaf and a half! >

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7442

Excuse my ignorance in skating terms, but is a falling leaf and a half the same as Arabian cartwheel or where they something that was done after that Arabian cartwheel move?

Marjaana

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Last edited:
Jaana said:
Excuse my ignorance in skating terms, but is a falling leaf and a half the same as Arabian cartwheel or where they something that was done after that Arabian cartwheel move? Marjaana

Ilia did an Arabian Cartwheel (which has a toe-rake landing) and from that landing he did a Falling Leaf and turned an extra half to land backwards. Two separate jumps. (My level for the combo would be 8 ;) ).

I would believe Elvis could do the move but I've never seen it.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
IDLERACER said:
The main difference, is that a butterfly usually leads directly into something else (often a sitspin), whereas a cartwheel is a jump in itself, and not just a prelude to another element.

Is that the way with Elvis? I see Joe explaining above how Ilia adds more difficulty into that move (jump). I notice that Elvis did a cartwheel in Nagano,

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/StojkoMosaic/072199.html

so it is (the way he does it) a move that can be done in an ISU competition.

Thanks Joe for explaining!

Marjaana

Last edited:

treeskater

Rinkside
Evelyn Chandler Mapes was known for her Arabian cartwheels in the 1940's. It is considered an acrobatic move and has long been banned from competition.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
treeskater said:
Evelyn Chandler Mapes was known for her Arabian cartwheels in the 1940's. It is considered an acrobatic move and has long been banned from competition.

So, what about Elvis? He is wearing his Olympic season costume on some of the photos. Maybe that move is not quite the same as what Ilia is doing, Idleracer?

Marjaana