Major VCR Alert (Ice Wars) | Golden Skate

Major VCR Alert (Ice Wars)

IDLERACER

Medalist
Tomorrow Evening (Friday, December 3rd), Ice Wars 2004 will air from 9:00 to 11:00 on CBS. Be there or be square! :rock: For more info, click HERE

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Can you believe our local station is not showing it? Thank goodness I have a satellite.

pairsfan

On the Ice
Also on Friday:

Katia on Today 7-10 am NBC (skating usually airs between 8:30 & 9:00)
Tatiana & Maxim on Ellen (syndicated)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
YAY! Ice Wars tonight. I can't wait to see the programs of my favorite pros! :rock:

Last edited:
pairsfan said:
Also on Friday: Katia on Today 7-10 am NBC
I just saw it! Katia couldn't be any prettier. What a beautiful back, just like Dorothy Hamill.

MM.

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
What was Katia promoting? Did she say anything in the little interview? I'm mad I forgot she was on Today.

She was promoting the Katarina Witt and Friends show (Disson Skating ). This was held in October in Trenton and it will be shown on NBC on January 2, 2005 (4-6 EST). The show has Kat, Katia, Kristi, Nicole Bobek, Sato and Dungjen and Winkler and Lohse. Plus live singers Patti labelle, Joe Dee Messina and Hayley Westernra.

Hayley Westenra sang live on Today for Katia to skate to.

MM

Last edited:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Mathman said:
Hayley Westenra sang live on Today for Katia to skate to.
Katia's skating was great as always, but I, for one, was not particularly impressed with this girl's voice, or her somewhat tuneless song. :unsure:

cheekers85

Rinkside
Mathman said:
I just saw it! Katia couldn't be any prettier. What a beautiful back, just like Dorothy Hamill.

MM.
I'm sad I missed it.
Ice Wars was on now! I've been to busy with a new job to be on here lately. But I didn't know anyone on the board knew this was on. It's fun so far. It's good, high quality pro skating I think. :) We need more of that... and Alexie is in this! Yay! :agree: Kristi looks sooo good. I hope when I have a baby one day I look that good! :yes:

Last edited:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Well, that was interesting. Oksana does two routines where she peels off a layer of clothing. She's slowly morphing into Phillipe Candeloro, I tell yer! Could it be that Nicole is having problems with triple jumps because her new chest is weighing her down? :p I kind of suspect that this might be Sarah Hughes' issue as well. :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think Nicole is training all that hard, but I wouldn't know for sure... just guessing... I liked the one program they showed (She is ALWAYS chacked GRRRR)

I actually did not care for Kurt's programs. Yes they were a beautiful tribute to his baby boy, but he was channeling Boitano's really BORING routines from last years' ice wars and I didn't like it LOL I actually thought Brian should have been 2 points ahead of Kurt in the artistic all across the board... it was a well choreographed and executed program even with the tano double! :agree: KRISTI was the highlight! She was BEAUTIFUL out there! YEAY KRISTI!!!!! :rock: I liked Yuka's Artistic, Alexei's Technical, Todd's 3Axels ;), Boitano's artistic, Nicole's artistic... Oksana's artistic flat scared me, and her posture was scary looking in her technical. It's nice to see her get back on track skating wise, though :) good for her... Kurt was the big disappointment for me... I guess I want a "Serenade to Sonia" part 2 or a "Antares/Nyah" part 3 LOL (or a Brickhouse/Funky Music part 3 ;))

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Idle, I mentioned to Mr. RG that Nicole had been ... um... surgically enhanced. His incredulous response was, "And this program was taped AFTER the surgery??" :rofl: Actually, I thought she looked old and emaciated, especially in her close-ups. Her ribs were showing through. This is not a good look for her.

As for Oksana, well, the programs were okay. I think Mr. RG is right when he says she tries TOO hard at everything.

Did NOT like the "sexy skater" look on Yuka. Absolutely boring.

Enjoyed Kristi's programs, especially the 2nd one.

Kurt's programs were wonderful, as were Todd's. I do not understand why with so many 3 jumps in the technical program, Kurt received such low marks, lower than anyone else that evening. Anyone have an idea why? I thought perhaps they found the program too much towards the "artistic" side, but I thought the # of 3s he did compensated.

Brian... oh boy... ANOTHER program with a chair... yeah, yeah, Tracy, pushing the envelope blah blah blah. Yup, dancing with a coatrack is SO pushing the envelope. Yawn.

Alexei skated well, just not as intensely as we are used to seeing from him. Todd outskated him, yet they received the same marks. That was lost on me.

All in all, a very enjoyable show.

RealtorGal said:

Kurt's programs were wonderful, as were Todd's. I do not understand why with so many 3 jumps in the technical program, Kurt received such low marks, lower than anyone else that evening. Anyone have an idea why? I thought perhaps they found the program too much towards the "artistic" side, but I thought the # of 3s he did compensated.
All in all, a very enjoyable show.

RG Very good critique. Just like to add that Kurt's jumps explode out of nowhere. There are no long entrances. It is all part of his incredible transititions and footwork dance. Not easy and it is unique to him. For me, it would be a plus 5 under CoP.

Joe

76olympics

On the Ice
I watched!

I really enjoyed Todd and Kristi's programs-when Todd is "on"--I get caught up in his performance. I always like Kurt-his personality and his programs. I am really behind the times and did not know about his little son! Alexei seemed a little "muted"-but the commentators said he was dealing with injuries which explains that.

RG-Brian's program recalled Scott's comment in his book: they called Brian "Odie the Roadie" because he was obsessed with props! I thought the program was OK-but I think the dramatic programs suit him better.

Oksana and Nicole just make me nervous. I don't dislike either-but Nicole is always under-achieving and Oksana is just TOO intense. I am always cringing just before her jumps because she is always dramatically telegraphing and just holding on to them (with all sorts of distracting facial expressions depending on the outcome). Trivially, I was fixated on her black underpants in the technical. I kept thinking, "Yes-they reallly are black! That doesn't really go with her costume." It was taking me out of the program (tho' admittedly later I noticed that Kristi's were blue! LOL! I am a female and usually notice the guys' bottoms more!) :laugh:

2ndmark

Rinkside
Despite moments of first-rate and inspired skating, I thought overall Ice Wars lacked true excitement. I agree with the earlier post that the "pushing the envelope" issue really means throwing in some lame gimmick when what people really want to see is simply good skating. Kurt skated so well, but the amateurish props just got in the way. And don't even get me started on Oksana's "artistic" program. Someone earlier mentioned Nicole looking old and haggard, but for me it was Oksana who looked rough... kinda channeling Baby Jane Hudson.

Didn't like either of Yuka's "sexy" programs or outfits. Highlights for me were Kristi's "technical program" (looking stunning in the crimson outfit) and Alexei looking fit and skating well in the first program. (Seemed to me he was improvising somewhat on the second.) Good to see Todd skating well. Was a bit disapointed with Brian. I love it when he just SKATES. I heard he's bringing back Nessun Dorma for the Bocelli Tribute special. That's the Brian I love.

Here's what's really been troubling me. I think part of the problem with skating's decline in the past few years is the skaters choice of music (and subsequent programs). Many of the selections are just not musically compelling. This is true for the pros and the eligibles. Either they are recycling from the past or trying to go in "new directions" which frequently spells choices that are simply boring and/or lacking in true musical merit. Last night's Ice Wars seeemed to exemplify my point. Ice Ice Baby??? Come on Oksana. But she wasn't the only one... many of the skaters selections just made me say "huh?" There was no program that truly excited me... nothing that really ripped at the heart... nothing that left me excited or thrilled. Whatever the genre, I firmly believe that skating's future is to be found in programs in which the music is stimulating and has integrity.

Thoughts?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree that the music/programs that some of the pros are doing are getting out there and that that has helped with the decline... but I don't think that's all

I mean... the only Olympic Ladies Champs skating right now are 1994 and before... Tara can't skate and Sarah is still Oly-elligible (I thought, though, that SOI was a non-sanctioned USFSA/ISU show? *shrugs*)

The last couple of years have been pretty lame for Ice Wars, but I don't ever want to see it go away... it's one of my favorite pro comps (and one of the only ones left) I just say to Kurt and Brian - just because you're the older of the 2 and are not as hyped in the media doesn't give you the permission to have gimmicky programs! Heck! I'd ever let Kurt skate to Raggy and Brian to Wild Elephants again only to keep them from using props!!! :laugh:

Antilles

Medalist
This was a ho-hum competition. I disliked Kurt's first program, and thought "oh boy" when he came back in the same outfit. The second program was better though. A nice triple-triple combination, and I actually liked the jump rope and the jump over the box (that would hurt if you missed). Brian did some cool tricks in his artistic program, but overall, I'd like to see the props go. I liked Todd and Alexei. I think Alexei's artistic program could be really spectacular with some more work. It had lulls between the really nice choreagraphy. He also could get going a little faster. I found the ladies even more ho-hum than the guys. Really didn't like Oksana's second program. Kristi was quite lovely though. I miss the good pro competitions, such as the World Pro.