The smoking area - Another Worlds tidbit | Golden Skate

The smoking area - Another Worlds tidbit

G

GSK8

The smoking area - Another Worlds tidbit

Yes, I'm a light smoker who is trying to quit. However, at least I got a chance to speak with fellow smokers - Sasha Zhulin, Artur Dmitriev, and Genrikh Sretenski. :cool: There were probably more but I didn't search for them. I was to busy trying to take a few puffs so I could get back in to the event.

I'll make sure I'm smoke FREE before the next worlds!

K

Kara Bear

Re: The smoking area - Another Worlds tidbit

I met Artur once...at Skate Canada a few years ago. I tried to to talk to him, but he didn't seem too talkative. Did you get anything interesting out of all these skating stars your running into?

G

GSK8

I really don't try to be aggressive. People don't like their personal space invaded so I just go with a gut thing.

For instance, Scott Smith was very receptive by his stance, therefore, he was more talkative and smiling. Alexei Mishin was the same - what a funny guy :)

I was more interested in watching the event and the breaks aren't long. By the time I get my turn in the ladies room, the Zamboni has left the ice!

T

tvcats

Aha! Those smokers are so busted. ;)
Good luck quitting smoking, Paula. And thank you for sharing these tidbits with us.

L

Ladskater

Figure skaters smoking? How horrible! And what a poor example for the younger set of skaters coming up. They should be ashamed of themselves!

Ladskater

H

heyang

Actually, I think North America is one of the few non-smoking regions of the world. When I was in Italy, every one was puffing away on the street. A lot of people smoke in Russia and Korea, too. Gotta remember to look at things from 'their' societies perspectives, too. Generational differences, too.

BTW, I was reading somewhere that teenage smoking is 'up' in the USA. Time to get out that non-smoking ad campaign again. I don't understand why anyone would want to kiss an ash tray - I don't even want to kiss anyone with tuna fish breath.

P

Ptichka

When I went to Russia last summer, I was positively shocked by how unfriendly the society is to non-smokers. My best friend there is allergic to smoking, but she cannot convince her co-workers to not smoke at the office they share with her! And it's not like they are mean, they just don't believe that anybody can be so bothered by smoke! Arrrgghhh... On the other hand, I think the US has gone a bit far. Some places now even have the "do you smoke?" question on the applications, and won't hire smokers! I think some of the European countries have got the balance right.

R

rgirl181

Great stuff, Paula! Zhulin and Dmitriev have always seemed like "work hard, play hard" guys to me.

They say it takes two weeks for the nicotine to get out of your system and that's exactly what I found when I quit. On day 14 after I quit, I no longer had any desire whatsoever. Also, both my parents smoked so I never knew what it was like to be in a nonsmoking environment. About a month after I quit, I went to a party where, surprise, there was a lot of smoking. When I got home and pulled my sweater off over my head, it was literally the first time in my life I had smelled cigarette smoke on my clothes. My reaction was, "GROSS! This is what I've smelled like all these years?" That probably cured me of ever going back.

I know you are quitting, but one more incentive if you haven't already heard this one: smoking is bad for your back. It reduces the oxygen in the smaller blood vessels all over the body, including those that go to the discs in the lower back. Anyway, smokers have more and worse back pain than nonsmokers.

Good luck quitting. You can still always go to the smoking room to meet the cool people (smokers do have more fun:smokin: g)
Rgirl

G

GSK8

Re: The smoking area

I was apprehensive about mentioning my dirty habit. I am so ashamed of it as I stay fit physically and don't do drugs (except for my daily pound of caffeine). If I didn't have my caffeine and nicotine, you'd probably see another <em>person</em> posting here. :mad:

However, I don't drink and what cracks me up is the people who scream about smokers killing other people and then get behind of the wheel of a car after a few drinks. What irony......but I don't condemn drinkers at all.

What's funny is that I can't STAND the smell of smoke so I don't smoke in the house. If I go out to a club, I have to rush home to take a shower to get the smell out of my hair.

I have already made a big effort in my quitting by cutting down by 50% as well as smoking the lightest brand on the market with the lowest level of nicotine and tar. Hardly any of my friends smoke, but the ones who do smoke won't ask me for a cigarrette anymore. They say, "God Paula, this is like puffing on air!" :lol:

T

tvcats

Have any of you other past-smokers noticed how you can <strong>taste</strong> food?! I was shocked at how little seasoning I needed after I quit. Unfortunately, I have to quit again. It is a nasty and persistent habit.

S

sk8tngcanuck

smoking

Hey Paula et al.,

I too recently quit my filthy habit, today is nine weeks and 2 days! (Pats self on her back)

I didn't use any aids in my attempt, I just woke up one morning and decided that was the day. I had tried previously and had always gotten so worked up with the anticipation that I was smoking almost double right before the quit day, lol!

This time I did it cold turkey... not going to tell stories, it was hard as heck. I found lollipops were a huge help for me. Everytime I had the urge, I popped a lollipop in my mouth. I only had it really bad for the first 4 days, but last week was a killer for some reason. I almost cracked, and even if I had, that still would have been OK. It's a tough thing to do, and any person who quits should be super proud of themselves.

Canuck

J

Jules Asner

Re: smoking

I'm so happy NYC and New York State is going to be anti-smoking in bars and restaurants - Finally, I can start drinking heavily again without stinkin of smoke the next day - woo hoo hoooo! just kidding of course, but actually, I haven't gone out in ages to a bar or club just because I can't stand the smoke and when I get home I feel the need to burn all my clothes and take a shower immediately. I smoked as a teenager and when you are smoking you really have no idea how bad it smells. I never knew people could actually smell the smoke off of me and could never understand how the school principal knew we had been smoking - If you smoke, everybody probably knows it as the scent really does stick to you. It also turns everything yellow - walls, curtains, furniture. Gross.

But to be honest, the place where smoke bothers me the most is outside -- walking behind someone who is puffing away and accidentally breathing in a huge puff of their smoke is the best way to ruin a nice walk in the fresh air. Cigars are even worse, I can smell them a block away. Pipes don't bother me as much, probably cuz they remind me of a nice old Scottish man I knew as a child who smoked a pipe. Who knows.

Anyway, goodluck quitting Paula, it was hard but it was the best thing I ever did and I hope you can too.

D

Dee4707

I have cut back by 50% and am very proud of that. The funny thing is that those 10 ciggies mean so much!!!! I know people who say that it is bad and why would anyone do such a thing <strong>has never been addicted</strong> to anything. <strong>I am totally addicted to nicotine.</strong> Another thing is I really have to work on my behaviors associated with smoking and that is not easy.

My doctor stated it correctly. I know what you are going through, it's like losing your best friend.:smokin:

Dee

J

Jules Asner

good for you Dee!!
When I quit the first ones I got rid of were the routine cigs -like as soon as you come out of someplace where you can't smoke or after a meal (that was the hardest of all). Finally I cut down to 1 a day and I would keep putting it off and putting it off and save it till late in the day. Then when I officially quit I had 1 pack left for emergencies. That pack lasted me about a month and once it was gone that was it.
There were some days I had to go to bed at 730 pm because I couldn't take it but after about 2 weeks of no nicotine at all and got it totally out of my system I was fine. I'm very thankful I quit and I don't have any cravings whatsoever. I don't miss it at all. Keep trying!

D

dlksk8fan

Paula-if you want incentive to quit smoking I'll send you my mother-in-law who has been a smoker all her life (she is 69) and let you know what it does to your body (like you don't already know). She has eveything from chronic bronchitis, smokers voice, back pain, Raynards disease, difficulty breathing, bad teeth, etc, etc. For her it is too late but for you it is not. So when can I send her:p

G

Grgranny

Bet none of you thought Granny never smoked! Well, she did I am sad to say. If I still did I would be dead. The sicker I got the more I smoked and the more I smoked the sicker I got. I got tired of something controlling me. I was up to 3 packs a day! Had to go into surgery and thought that was a good time to quit. (Quitting is easy, I've done it hundreds of times.:lol: ) Well, I went into a deep depression. I was already thin and lost my appetite. That was 1964. I cried for 6 months but I never smoked again. Now, I can't stand it and am allergic to it. So, just get mad at something controlling you. Maybe it will help.

P

Pather2000

<em>I am working on Month 2, as of the 31st. It will be 2 months that I stopped.You guys have no idea how hard it is to watch these championships. Watching the news on the War. Living here in New York being under constance threat. & trying not to smoke. I just Put another Nicorette in my mouth. They have got to get a better tasting gum:lol: . I twice bummed a few cigaretts off of my co workers only to give them back. Thank GOD. But, I just say that I haven't quit smoking I just did not have a cigarett for these days. I do have to agree about the smell though. I hate the smell of smoke on people. But, I love the smell of the smoke in the air. Don't ask my why. I am retarded. I do kind of agree about the New Smoking laws here in New York. But, I think that they are going a little to far when they are even banning smoking in the smoking clubs. Private clubs mind you. If you don't like smoke why would you work there. Knowing that, that is the main thing that they do there. That makes no sense at all. A person who is alergic to smoke shouldn't even apply to work in a place like that. But, whatever:rolleyes:

Good Luck to those who are trying to quit. I will say one thing though. I am saving money. 4 packs a week around $25.00. That is something.:cool: </em>

S

sk8tngcanuck

My quit day was January 22nd, and I hear you on the saving money bit!

I was smoking a pack and a half a day... do the math on that one at $10.00 a pack! Thats alot of extra money for my daughter's figure skating lessons!

Canuck

R

rgirl181

I have one tidbit for getting started quitting and then I'll shut up: Have major surgery and make that your first day with no cigarettes. You'll be so doped up first on anesthesia and then on pain killers for a couple of days, you just won't care about cigarettes. After the pain killers, the hospital won't let you smoke. I know, kind of drastic and I wouldn't recommend it, but hey, morphine worked for me:lol:
Rgirl

PS Jules, I know what you mean about smokers outside in NY. It's what gives me mixed feelings about the new law. I'm afraid they'll all be all over the place outside!

M

mathman444

Congratulations Canuck, Pather, Granny, Jules, Dee and Paula.

I smoked a pipe for 20 years. I've been clean now for 13. Cold turkey. Mind over matter. All that. You can do it!

Mathman