Marshall's World Cup of Figure Skating - Results - Ladies Free Skate | Golden Skate

Marshall's World Cup of Figure Skating - Results - Ladies Free Skate

gezando

Final Flight
In agree Irina is unbeatable this season, go Irina for world gold #2

Happy for Michelle, accordingly she had new boots on Mon, and only got all her triples back on Weds.

Last edited:

Lotta

On the Ice
Go Irina!!!! :rock:

Just happy that my girl Michelle still did well and stayed on top three. :)

Excidra2001

On the Ice
I think Joe's prediction of Irina winning the world title might just be true. I did not think she was going to win this competition, I predicted kwan to take it but damn i'm proven wrong. It should be a very exciting competition in Moscow.

congrat's Irina

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
gezando said:
In agree Irina is unbeatable this season, go Irina for world gold #2

Happy for Michelle, accordingly she had new boots on Mon, and only got all her triples back on Weds.

Yeah, yeah, we've heard the "new boots, new skates" story before. Why does she always seem to get these items right before a competition? She has ALL YEAR to get them... :p

Someone else is reporting on another thread that she has some kind of ankle injury. Now THAT is something deserving of concern. If that is, in fact, the case, she is to be commended for competing and not disappointing the crowd.

Last edited:

cianni

On the Ice
Marshalls

Hats off to Michelle. She doesnt usually use injury as an excuse for a loss. Oh well she won Silver. I dont understand Sasha being on the Podium with 3 falls. Some things never change.

Not surprised one iota at the results.Let's face it, Plushy and Irina came from a far distance to skate this competititon and both won. If you think for one minute they are not going to repeat these wins in Moscow, I'd suggest you get a new crystal ball.

As for the American and Japanese divas, I would suggest that they make this a serious learning experience for Torino.

Joe

gezando

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
Yeah, yeah, we've heard the "new boots, new skates" story before. Why does she always seem to get these items right before a competition? She has ALL YEAR to get them... :p

Sure, new boots, new skates are baseline stuff for skaters. I am sure you have heard all that before, including MK skating to a newly patched together old boot 2 minutes prior to her qualifying round in world 2001. I brought that up because according to a report she got the boots on Monday, and was unable to do her triple jump until Weds. BTW, even if Kwan landed 7 triples, like I said Irina was unbeatable this year, Kwan would still be beaten by Irina. I love Irina, and want her to win worlds in Moscow hometown. I am not being disrespectable to irina. She has all year to get new boots, but skaters usually break in one pair at a time, and boots do not come with exppiration date like the milk in your frige. So it is Kwan's fault for having a pair of boots break down days before Marshall's. Anyway what is your point? :p

Why does she always seems to get these items right before competition
yeah, why does my realtor seem to always get her camera, appointment books, amortizatin calculator, PDA, housing information etc right before she takes me house hunting? Could it be possible it is the tools of the art or trade? :p
BTW, if my realtor's PDA ever breaks down minutes prior to clsoing the house, I will tell her oh gee, you have all year to get a new one. :)

Last edited:

cianni

On the Ice
Ques.for Joesitz

Joesitz, Im not quite sure what you are saying. Are you saying its in Moscow therefore they win, I agree. Are you saying no matter how they skate they win, probably. Are you saying no one else has a chance because they are so much better then the rest, dont agree. Are you saying the judging will be questioable, I think probably. Are you saying no matter how others skate they have no chance to win esp. in Moscow, probably. Are you saying the Japanese and American ladies are so bad they might as well stay home ,might as well if they have no chance to win. Well this is a sad state of affairs to be sure. Unfortunately I agree with you however I can dream that the skate that deserves to win will . Marshalls I hope is not a preview of what is to come. Congrats to Irina and Michelle. Cohen can fall 3 times and be on the podium, Kirk can skate well and no Medal Angela last not a great skate but she didnt fall 3times. I can understand the dropping in ratings, lack of attendance at events and little Tv airing of comps. I dont think the skating organizations learned much from SLC just changed the way they hide doing the same thing. Who they want to win will. Getting discouraged about the future of the sport. My guess is Nats, Worlds and Olys are all we will see in the Future and maybe not even that. Again Congrats to Irina and Michelle both were great.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I can't speak for Irina, but Plush almost always skates extremely well in front of the home crowd. Some skaters implode with the pressure, but he completely thrives on it. So I think what Joe is saying is.....Plush wiped the floor with the competition while battling jet lag and in front of a foreign audience, if you will. So you hand him Moscow, "his" people and no jet lag, I think we are going to see a magnificent performance. The judging won't have to be questionable, he will most likely clearly deserve his win.

Laura :)

lavender

Record Breaker
I think if Irina and Michelle both skate great Irina will win in Moscow. I think that's that's what most are feeling. I don't think that Irina will automatically win if she skates bad. I don't see that happening because Irina hasn't skated bad all season. She's skatingbetter than she ever has. Just a note that there's nothing etch in stone. There are still other countries on the panel that don't think Irina's presentation warrants a 5.8 or 5.9 even with a great skate so we will see.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
gezando said:
Anyway what is your point? :p

My point is that this is not the first time it has happened to MICHELLE right before a major competition. I haven't heard about it happening to another skater -- and if it has, it didn't make the headlines! :p

yeah, why does my realtor seem to always get her camera, appointment books, amortizatin calculator, PDA, housing information etc right before she takes me house hunting? Could it be possible it is the tools of the art or trade? BTW, if my realtor's PDA ever breaks down minutes prior to clsoing the house, I will tell her oh gee, you have all year to get a new one.

I suggest you get another Realtor! I know a reliable one! :rock: :laugh:

Last edited:

cianni

On the Ice
Worlds

I agree Plush will win and will probably deserve to and Irina may deserve to win but will win in Moscow. I just would like to see the program skated the best win even if it is in Moscow. I think Irina won last night and deserved to but I see no different skating from her except she has the advantantage of being able to do the Beilman spin and does so all through the program. I dont think that should be the auto winning move. Her jumps are great but very little choro in the program. Lets hope the winner is the real winner for the sake of the survival of continued interest in the sport. I would also say as much if it was here of Michelle and Sasha no auto win because its here in America. Will be very interesting this season.

gezando

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
My point is that this is not the first time it has happened to MICHELLE right before a major competition. I haven't heard about it happening to another skater -- and if it has, it didn't make the headlines! :p

This is not headlines for Michelle in Marshalls, just some fans reporting among themselves. Where oh where were you when Timmy had the boot problems last 2 seasons? it is not her fault when boots break down when they break down, will of skating gods.

I suggest you get another Realtor!

Getting another one why because she brings along her PDA, camera, and information? Because her PDA may potentially break down, besides I have way too much fun house hunting with my current one.

Last edited:
I, too have wondered why skaters can't plan the breaking in of their equipment better. They only skate a few times a year. You would think they could anticipate, "OK, it takes four weeks to break in a new pair of boots, and it's six weeks until my next competition. Let's see now, what to do, what to do..."

Didn't Shizuka Arakaw withdraw from the Eric Lompard Trophe this year because of new boots?

MM

Here is my report on the ladies' competition.

Ann Patrice McDonough! No, she didn't compete, but there she is in the printed program, stunning in dark red, in a full page ad for Capezio Skatewear. I cut it out and framed it! :love:

1. Michelle Kwan. There was definitely something wrong. When she came out to skate she spent quite a long time kind of stomping around trying to seat her foot in her boots. She tied and retied her laces several times. Although she got the biggest opening applause of any of the skaters, she seemed distracted and did not relate to the audience like she usually does.

Whatever the cause, my girl just didn't have the eye of the tiger. I think she two-footed both of her last two jumps, she had a wonky landing on her double Axel, and an awkwardness between the jumps of her triple-Lutz / Double Toe. Overall, I would have to say her performance was ordinary.

Of course, Michelle's ordinary is anyone else's to-die-for, but still... I wasn't crazy about the new dress, finding it sort of generic. The music did not help her. To me, it sounded tinny and without the full-throated orchestration that it needs for its emotional impact. (Maybe the fault of the audio system, but other music sounded OK.)

I could not tell that the choreography was any different from Campbells, except for a new variation in her combo spin. (It looked like an interesting position -- I’ll be looking for it again when the show is televised on December 18.)

Skating first is definitely a handicap, especially for a skater like Michelle, who depends on drawing emotional energy from the response of the audience. It's not just the shortened warm-up time or the fact that under ordinal scoring the judges have to leave room for later skaters. It is more that the audience is not really into the competitive flow of the event yet. If you skate last, the arena is electric with the excitement of, "After that fantastic performance Irina is in first place, but now here comes Michelle, do or die!!" or whatever. It pumps up both the audience and the skater.

I gave her a 5.6, 5.7 (matching the scores of the Russian judge, LOL.) As soon as Michelle's skate was over I knew Irina had it in the bag.

2. Sasha Cohen. I'm with Dick Button. For the first 30 seconds of her program, you wonder how anyone can possibly ever beat Sasha. She glides across the ice like an ethereal spirit. Even her jumps seem as if she is just lifted into the air by magic. (For most skaters the energy they put into these elements is apparent -- you can actually see them clenching their butt-muscles for the effort, LOL.)

Unfortunately, what goes up must come down. I, and a good part of the crowd, thought Sasha was held up on both the tech and the presentation scores. She got straight 5.3’s in technical. I suppose we should derive confidence from the fact that all of the judges agreed. But four of the five judges gave 5.1 or 5.2 to Angela Nikodinov, whose only technical errors were one doubled triple attempt and the singling of her double Axel. And two of the five judges put Sasah ahead of Jenny Kirk in technical, although Jenny hit five triples (I think) and had only one fall.

The presentation mark, too -- yes, Sasha is a vision of loveliness, wonderful extension and flexibility, etc., etc., etc. But it is how well you present your program that is being judged. I thought that Sasha’s program lost its focus -- although she still did some nice elements --after the three falls.

I didn’t care for Sasha’s Nutcracker music. It seemed too big and grand for her style. The swells of the music call for the skater to dominate the ice, and for this performance anyway, Sasha wasn’t doing that.

3. Jenny Kirk. Her best performance of the year. :love: The judges evidently don’t give any credit for flat-out drop-dead beauty, because she only got 5.4s across the board for presentation (5.6 from the American judge -- after all, Jenny might be our third lady at Worlds again, LOL)

I thought she opened with a triple-triple, but maybe it was only a triple-double (a little bit shaky on the landing of the first jump.) Followed by a 3-Lutz / 2-toe and three more jumps that were pretty nice, although she had to struggle to hold a couple of the landings. She seemed to tire later in the program, leading to a fall. But she came right back with a very solid triple Lutz near the end.

Jenny’s weakest area is her spirals, IMO. Much room for improvement there.

When her scores came up, the audience gave a lusty BOOOOO! I don’t think the boos were specifically because the audience felt that the judges had held up Sasha unfairly over Jenny. Just that they didn’t like the low marks (tech scores 5.4, 5.4, 5.4, 5.1 and 5.2).

Speaking of the third American lady, Jenny made a loud statement that she is not ready to abdicate just yet.

4. Alissa Czisny. Home town girl makes good. Very nice performance. Opened with a 3-Lutz / 2-toe, I think she completed 4 triples in all. She did do some Sasha-esque flexibility moves, such as an Ina Bauer (held only very briefly, however), a forward Charlotte, a Beaver Cleaver, and some spiral moves. She needs to stretch out more and hold her positions longer. There is still a youthful quality to her overall skating.

She did a much better Bielmann than Slutskaya.

Nice outing for Alissa. This is her breakout season for sure, and she has made the most of her opportunities. There was quite a bit of disagreement among the judges about 4th, 5th and 6th place. It could have gone any which way for the last three ordinals.

Shizuka Arakawa was heavily promoted in the program and in the videos that ran on the Jumbotron. I wonder if Shizuka wishes now that she had come, since Michelle gave a beatable performance, nor was Irina’s out of reach.

5. Irina Slutskaya. Excellent performance by the comeback kid, especially since she has three back-to-back competitions in a row in three different corners of the globe. Clear first. She did 7 triples in all ,including a triple-triple, two more combinations, and excellent straight-line footwork.

Her catch-foot change edge spirals (backward and forward) were only OK. Bad traveling on her final combination spin.

IMO Irina’s program is not intended to grab your emotions, wring your heart, turn your soul inside out, make you fall in love -- that sort of thing. Rather, she goes about her job in a efficient and workmanlike manner, checking off one finely executed move after another. I don’t know whether this is the ticket to CoP success or not. Three of the five judges (Japan, Canada and France) gave Michelle higher presentation scores than Irina, despite an emotionally limp effort from Michelle.

But Russia and the US gave Irina 5.9s for presentation. I agree, at least in so far as Irina presented her program with outstanding confidence and aplomb. I gave Irina 5.8, 5.8

6. Angela Nikodinov. What a shame that someone had to finish last. Angela skated great. Only two mistakes, neither of them major. The main thing is that she didn’t fall apart after an error or two. She fought back and finished strong. In fact, her best triple was the one she hit right after doubling her third jump.

The judges as a whole gave her scores that were at the same level as Kirk and Czisny, and it worked out to 6th place for Angela. Another round of Boos from the audience. I don’t know if I can say she was robbed, but she gave a very nice performance and it is too bad she couldn’t have been rewarded better for it. Unlike Sasha, Jenny, and Alissa, at least Angela stayed on her feet.

I scored it: Slutskaya, Kwan, Kirk, Nikodinov, Cohen, Czisny.

Mathman

lavender

Record Breaker
Interesting. Michelle does great going first. Remember Nationals with Aranjuez. The girl was on fire. I just think Michelle had distractions with her boots. She wasn't in the mood if you ask me and whatever Michelle is feeling is translates on ice.

Also I heard Irina did 6 triples and on 3/3 combos.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Thanks MM, been waiting for your report. You really didn't like Michelle's dress? I was impressed by the pictures I saw, liked the color and longer (looking) skirt. That being said, I know Vera does lovely work, but her costumes for Michelle seem somewhat bland.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
cianni said:
I think Irina won last night and deserved to but I see no different skating from her except she has the advantantage of being able to do the Beilman spin and does so all through the program. I dont think that should be the auto winning move. Her jumps are great but very little choro in the program.

I enjoyed her choreography. I thought she made excellent use of the music. I did think there were too many Beilman positions, though, between the spiral sequence and the spins. It was kind of like, yes, I know you are flexible, now show me something else.

lavender said:
Also I heard Irina did 6 triples and no 3/3 combos.
I think that's right. According to my notes, she did 6 triples including three 3-2 combos, but no 3-3.

The article in todays paper says she did 7, so I thought I got it wrong.

You might be right about the mood thing, too. I don't know any reason why Michelle would be in a bad mood, but then everybody is from time to time.

Anyway, that was my first impression, that Michelle just isn't into it tonight, for whatever reason.

Tharrtell, about the dress, it was OK, it just didn't grab me. Actually, I just now looked at the pictures on the USFS web site, and it looks fine. Irina's dress, on the other hand, doesn't look like anything special in the pictures because you can't see the glitter. In person, Irina looked mahvelous!

Maybe it was the body language and the emotions of the wearers. Irina was there to kick some major butt. Michelle just never got it going.

MM