Marshall's World Cup of Figure Skating - Results - Ladies Free Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Marshall's World Cup of Figure Skating - Results - Ladies Free Skate

insecureedge

On the Ice
Thanks for the report, Mathman. Interesting that you did not see any of the changes others are reporting in Michelle's program. Also as lavender said most other reports say Irina did 6 triples with no 3/3. I guess we will all see for ourselves two weeks from now on ABC.

insecureedge

insecureedge said:
Interesting that you did not see any of the changes others are reporting in Michelle's program.
I'm sure they were there, Insecureedge, I am just not an expert observer.

MM

PS. About how people looked in their costumes, for some reason the big four-sided overhead screen in the center of the arena was stretched out horizontally, making everybody look short and fat, LOL.

Last edited:

cianni

On the Ice
Marshalls

Thanks Mathman for the report it was great. I would guess Michelle was distracted by hurting feet those boots can reek havoc and I can tell you that will cut you short. I agree Sasha was held up big time but with her whats new. Im happy for Irina and think the Irina michelle rivalry will spark more interest in the comps. They push each other. Too bad for Kirk and Angela. I said the judging hasnt changed.. Im also wondering whats with it with Cohen and the judging as she seems to garner way over the top marks no matter how she skates. Ill wait for Nationals and see how all progress.

lavender

Record Breaker
Mathman, I agree about the dress. It's pretty but nothing new. I wish she would wear long sleeves from time to time. I also think she should think about burgandy. That would be a beautiful color on her.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Great report, Mathman........thanks for the effort. If Michelle can skate "in a bad mood", have boot problems, a sore ankle, and land 5 triples and come in second.......well it just shows you how marvelous a competitor she is. Very happy for Irina. Looks like she's back on track. Of course I haven't seen the competition yet, but Irina for me has never been a 5.9 presentation skater. Not surprised at all with Sasha's and Angela's skating efforts. When they're on, they're the best, but when they're not.............. :sheesh: 42

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Kurt Browning was forced to break in new boots during the 1990 Nationals. His old boots need replacing, and if he didn't do it then, he'd have to do it at worlds.

I suspect Michelle had a similar reason.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
gezando said:
yeah, why does my realtor seem to always get her camera, appointment books, amortizatin calculator, PDA, housing information etc right before she takes me house hunting? Could it be possible it is the tools of the art or trade? :p
BTW, if my realtor's PDA ever breaks down minutes prior to clsoing the house, I will tell her oh gee, you have all year to get a new one. :)

Ah, re-reading this post and your more recent one makes me realize I misunderstood you. My correct response needs to be:

Yes, your Realtor gathers up these items right before she meets you; but my guess is that they are not all brand new items purchased right before your meeting. She brings items that she has already "broken in" so to speak--in other words, she knows how to use them well before she meets with you. After all, she KNOWS she needs them to work with you effectively, and she makes darn sure that she's not standing there saying, "Now, how do I use this PDA? Give me a few minutes to work it out!" :biggrin: :laugh: ;)

Further, if her PDA breaks down once, well, those things happen. If it happens a second time, she's got a big problem.

As for Tim, I think we all know now that he had a lot more serious problems going on than just ill-fitting boots. Apparently, he is still experiencing those problems.

Mathman - I'm impressed. Your critique of the competition was nicely done.

It seems that Irina's bielman-like-spirals are the cat's meow this season. I guess the skaters with the best back bends have an advantage.

It also seems that the last 3 ladies scores were somewhat planted in the judges heads before the competition. really sorry about Angela.

But I'll take a look on the 18th. However, right now I am thinking how many of the 6 ladies and 6 men will I actually see? And how many skaters will be fluffing Holiday Greetings?

Joe

double_loop77

Spectator
Well, after seeing these results I must say that as much as I love sasha cohen, she needs to clean up her act. From everything being said.... the judges really held her up at this one. I can understand that she has been injured and such, but Nationals is creeping up and there will not be room for 3 falls in her long program a month from now. As far as Irina is concerned... I couldn't be happier for her. She has worked so hard to climb back to the top after all her setbacks, and she is back with a BANG! In Michelle's case, I seem to be disappointed with her so far. She has been doing the same triple jumps for years now and I would hope she'd be doing triple/triple combinations by now. Don't gte me wrong she is a beautiful skater and has done a lot for this sport, but it gets tiring seeing the same stuff from her year after year. In my opionion... no guts no glory!

Some other skaters on the GP circuit have proven that they can not only compete with these skaters artistic wise, but they can also do the triple/triple combinations. IMO if Joannie Rochette can continue to build on her season so far, she can be a serious threat at worlds this year. She has proven she can do the jumps, and she is also the all around practice, and on a whole I love her skating. Even Cynthia seems to be building on her season each time she competes. Carolina Kostner has battled with consistancy so far this year but Ithink that on a good day she can also compete with the best. Shizuka Arakawa hasn't been in top form yet this season, but I wouldn't count her out. She didn't win a world title last year for nothing. I think she will be just fine and in competition for just in time to challenge for the world title again this year.

This years worlds proves to be an exciting competition, but I think that certain skaters need to step up their game if they want to win. The title isn't just going to be handed to someone, they have to skate it first. :yes:

insecureedge

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I'm sure they were there, Insecureedge, I am just not an expert observer.

MM

PS. About how people looked in their costumes, for some reason the big four-sided overhead screen in the center of the arena was stretched out horizontally, making everybody look short and fat, LOL.

Mathman, you're being too humble. Given that you told us that you were trying to be a good date and combined with your excellent writing, that report was superb. I appreciate your honesty in writing about Kwan's difficulties and your impressions on all the skaters.

insecureedge

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Great report, Mathman! As far as Michelle and the 3/3, I don't think that is what she needs to focus on right now. She needs to let any injuries or pains heal (if that is the case) and work out her boot problems. She also needs to tweak "Bolero" a bit more and focus on successfully increasing the difficulty of the spins, transitions, etc. She needs to be in top shape and comfortable with this program. Once all of those things fall into place, I can only assume "Bolero" will be stunning with or without a 3/3. At any rate, great effort from Irina!

gezando

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
Ah, re-reading this post and your more recent one makes me realize I misunderstood you. My correct response needs to be:

Yes, your Realtor gathers up these items right before she meets you; but my guess is that they are not all brand new items purchased right before your meeting. She brings items that she has already "broken in" so to speak--in other words, she knows how to use them well before she meets with you. After all, she KNOWS she needs them to work with you effectively, and she makes darn sure that she's not standing there saying, "Now, how do I use this PDA? Give me a few minutes to work it out!" :biggrin: :laugh: ;)

Further, if her PDA breaks down once, well, those things happen. If it happens a second time, she's got a big problem.

As for Tim, I think we all know now that he had a lot more serious problems going on than just ill-fitting boots. Apparently, he is still experiencing those problems.

Actually, I said "if" her PDA breaks down. Also my point is that no one can predict when things break down, unlike the milk in the frige that comes with expiration date. I don't know how you use your PDA or what brand. But mine breaks down without notice, and after my PDA breaks down for the first time, it is not usable again ever, I have to get a new one,I am using a 3rd one in 2 years. So how many back up PDAs do you have, and do you carry all of them to work everyday? "She has the whole year to get a new one" doesn't make sense, because people don't replace their equipment until it breaks. I remember Kurt Browning had a pair of boots breaking down right in the midst of a cheesefest competition. In my original message I was just congrats Irina for her win, and was stating I was happy for MK, since she got new boots on Mon, and ony got her triples back on Weds.

"she makes sure that she is not standing there to say give me a few min to see how this PDA works" Hopefully the realtor will learn from Mk to be prepared, and break in the PDA before she meets me. MK got her triple jumps back 2 days before the competition, cutting it close but she did it in time.

Boots are not Tims only problem but a huge part in the past 2 years. Skating requuiring new boots throughout the year is a very common thing, they have no control over when the boots will break down, finding fault with them for requiring a new pair of boots right before a competition is ridiculous

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
For those of you who were snarking about Kwan making excuses about her boots before...did you ever think that this is the normal time for Kwan to change her boots? Maybe she normally changes it around late November-Early December so they can be fresh for Nats in early-mid January. I mean attempting 5-7 triple jumps at a made for tv competition around this time is still a pretty new thing.