Mixed feelings about the WSF | Golden Skate

Mixed feelings about the WSF

B

Bleuchick

Mixed feelings about the WSF

I know it is too early but I am not too excited about this WSF. It promises all the things that we have all been demanding from the current ISU:

- paid judges.
- cash for figure skating not for both skating and speed skating.
- life-time bans for corrupt judges.
- elimination of the pro-ams competitions and some of the restrictions currently in place for eligibles and pro skaters

and the list goes on...

Yet all the articles that I have read are denouncing the WSF rather than praising it for coming up with these great ideas. Beside the mentioned skaters and former ISU officials, where are the supporters of this organization? tell me a sport organization that seceded from another and survived.

I would like the organization to succeed but I doubt it will :(

L

Ladskater

Re: Mixed feelings about the WSF

I am not sure this bird will fly. The ISU has been around for a long time and watching over the affairs of figure skating. It's going to take time to restructure the figure skating organization. Will all of these former skaters have the time to do so? One wonders.

Ladskater

H

heyang

It'll be really tough because there are obvious ties between the ISU and IOC. One can only hope that the skaters will support it. Without the skaters, there's no money for the ISU. Unfortunately, the current eligibles will probably not step away and risk the wrath of the ISU. It would be good if Irina and MK decided to retire and support the WSF - this would give a boost to pro competitions supported by the WSF and, therefore, the WSF.

L

ladybug

It is really going to be tough for the WSF. The elite skaters are not going to jump on the band wagon for fear they will not be able to go to the Olympics or World Champ.

Once a skater joined the WFS, I am sure they would be banned from skating with the ISU. A lifetime ban, not the kind you get for cheating.

I would love to see it work but I just don't see it happening. Maybe it would work for Pros only.

R

rgirl181

As Dick Button said, anything worth doing is going to be difficult--especially when you're going up against an entrenched organization. Even if the WSF doesn't last, hopefully it will at least be a major thorn in the side of the ISU. ITA with Scott Hamilton. To have figure skating run by speed skaters is silly and obsolete.

I don't think these people would have stuck their necks out--any careers they had with the ISU are over--if they didn't think there was any other way. Things with Speedy have only gotten worse after year in and year out of judging scandals. I'm sure the road will be incredibly rough for the WSF, but I hope they last and wish them luck.

As for the USFSA, I think Phyllis Howard may not just be hesitant about endorsing the WSF because of the timing. She's been waffley throughout everything Speedy's done, at least from what I've read. She may too believe that the WSF won't last and doesn't want to lose her status and good standing with the ISU. She was such a marshmallow in terms of what she said when interviewed on TV tonight. I don't see any other alternative, frankly. Speedy is never going to give up figure skating and he's never going to give up ruining figure skating. Coup or a new organzation is the only way, IMO. The WSF might not work in this version, but I think a governing organization for figure skating, one separate from speed skating and run by people in figure skating, is going to happen eventually.
Rgirl

L

Lynn1951

Rgirl said: "The WSF might not work in this version, but I think a governing organization for figure skating, one separate from speed skating and run by people in figure skating, is going to happen eventually."

I definitely agree that the sport of figure skating should not be run by speed skaters or people only concerned with speed skating. They are two separate sports and should be governed separately. I really hope that the IOC would recognize that the WSF is all about what's best for the future of figure skating and figure skaters. The ISU would still be able to function but only by governing speed skating. JMHO

Lynn

E

Emilieanne

The goal of the WSF is not to do away with the ISU...just simply leave the ISU with speed skating and short-track. WSF only wants figure skating and synchro.

No doubt the IOC members are furious with Speedy (who is also a member of the IOC, unfortunately) and the ISU and are sure looking for an opportunity to pulverize the living daylights out of him for the shennanigans. Remember that Speedy and the ISU totally embarrassed the IOC in Salt Lake with their shennanigans and perhaps the IOC is looking for a way to solve this problem. The WSF is literally handing the IOC a solution to this mess, and I think they are smart enough to see this. The 115th Session of the IOC is coming in early July in Prague and no doubt this will be one of the hottest (if not the hottest) item on the agenda.

We can help the WSF. How? Heat needs to be put on the IOC and the sponsors, but we can gear up for that after Worlds is over.

J

Jules Asner

Speedskaters are making the rules for Figure Skating -- it just doesn't make sense.

the WSF should be born and with the help of skaters and federations it can and it will.

the USFSA probably supports it but is afraid to speak out for fear of retribution from the ISU judges at worlds. Notice how the president kept saying "this is bad timing, this is the world championships" -- I think it is GOOD timing and a good way to get the word out. Good luck to the WSF - Figure Skaters governing Figure Skating - now that makes sense.

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

the only problem I have so far is it's too close to WWF :p