Miki Ando and the Quad Factor | Golden Skate

Miki Ando and the Quad Factor

d12p

Rinkside
So far this season Miki has not landed a quad salchow at the major international competitions (or at all in competition?). If she had landed it, how much would it have affected her? I think it's unfortunate with the new judging system because she has no incentive to do the jump.

Even if she skates 100% clean at GPF with a quad, I don't think they would give it to her. She would need to land two quads to win and the judges would jack up Slutskaya's and Arakawa's artistic scores to make it look closer.

IMO, if Miki lands that quad, they should give it to her, unless she really falls apart in other areas. Her artistry and spins are fine, really not that bad like people say. Compare her artistry and spins to other great jumpers such as Nedlina and Ondo....Her long lines are actually very nice to watch.

The quad is just such a step up, it's hard to fathom because no one else does it. I think this judging system is really a problem for skaters trying to push themselves to the next jumping level.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Well so far I've seen that Miki had her shoulder all patched up all season so I guess her shoulder hasn't totally healed. Now, even if she did landed it, if she doesn't improve the connections and transitions in the choreo the judges won't give her a higher component marks, which is were she is failing. I don't think she has a bad presentation, but she needs to connect more with what she is doing (I love her choice of music, I think it suits her because is subtle and powerfull at the same time). Sometimes in the transitions she makes slights mistakes (like loosing an edge, having a small slip), her spiral has to be sustained more, I don't ask for a stretch like Sasha's, but just that she can hold her position (sometimes it looks like she loses her strenght in that position). However I see small improvements from each performance (from campbells until cup of china), and she is imporving in the right direction. These small things that put her down, she will learn eventually as she matures as a skater.

As if the judges should give her the win if she does the quad, that could have been done perhaps in the 6.0 system, and even if she did it, I still don't know if tehy would have (pretty much the same situation with Shen and Zhao ate the SLC Olys, when they attempted the throw quad sal). The thing is that if she lands a good quad, even if she got a +3, if the other elements are classified level 1 or so, she won't rack up as many points as needed to beat other skaters that may get a higher level of difficulty in the other elements. I applaud Miki for going that extra mile with the quad, but in the things that I see she can improve, I would like to see that same enthusiams she puts in her jumps for the other elements such as more difficult spins (she has a good centering in her back scratch, so she could do a lot with that spinning skills). Once she works in the details, she'll be awesome! I love the energy she puts, and I see good things for her.

Miki is a much improved over-all skater this season. How important are the quads? There will be a higher score but not that much when compared to Irina who will do a total of 8 triples, and more than likely, clean! Will Miki do 8 triples plus the quad? That is the question. Under the 6.0 system, the quad may make the judges jump but not if they are limited to giving it base points.

Joe

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Miki is a much improved over-all skater this season. How important are the quads? There will be a higher score but not that much when compared to Irina who will do a total of 8 triples, and more than likely, clean! Will Miki do 8 triples plus the quad? That is the question. Under the 6.0 system, the quad may make the judges jump but not if they are limited to giving it base points.

Joe

7 triples, Joe. ;) It would be news to me if either was going for a triple Axel.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I believe Ando's goal is to perform two 3/3's, which would give her 8 triples altogether. Same with Arakawa. I don't know if Slutskaya is planning to train towards two 3/3 combos for Worlds (or one 3/3/2 and one 3/3).

One thing I like about the new judging system is that the judges (and the skaters) do not have to guess about how much credit they get by trying the most difficult jumps and combinations. The skaters only have to decide whether to play it safe or go for broke.

Mathman

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
hockeyfan228 said:
I believe Ando's goal is to perform two 3/3's, which would give her 8 triples altogether. Same with Arakawa. I don't know if Slutskaya is planning to train towards two 3/3 combos for Worlds (or one 3/3/2 and one 3/3).

8 triples is not possible unless the skater is going for at least one triple Axel.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Tony Wheeler said:
8 triples is not possible unless the skater is going for at least one triple Axel.
You're right. A skater would need to repeat three triple jumps (once in combo or sequence) without an 3A.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I think that she needs to focus on continuing to improve her artistic/presentation skills rather than her quad if she is ever to stand on the World podium. There is a reason Irina and Shizuka receive higher component scores: they earn them. In comparison to these skaters, Miki's presentation looks Juniorish. She and her coach(es) need to determine the best course of action to improve this facet of her skating.