Skaters you Don't Miss | Golden Skate

Skaters you Don't Miss

Linny

Final Flight
Not to be nasty or anything... but there are some skaters for whom I generally hit the fast forward button. It bothered me that they took up valuable broadcast time.

Victor Petrenko: he was my favorite earlier in his career. Then he got to doing Michael Jackson with about 40 extra pounds on him... and the doll dancing the Mambo with him was great but he took it over the top when he started dancing with a dog. That entire program was a dog. The last program I saw from him was super - I don't remember when, but it used no props and he seemed to be in better shape. Still, I'm glad he is working behind the spotlight these days instead of in it.

Nancy Kerrigan: her professional programs just didn't have much pizzazz, IMO. My husband thought she skated with a pout. I thought the Halloween concept was a hoot and she was fun to watch skating in a costume and disguising make-up... but I don't actually miss her. Even in Ice Wars, were she was replace with Nichole Bobeck, I preferred to see Nichole. However, I wish Nancy all the best of luck with her newest child on the way and have nothing but admiration for the way she conducted herself throughout the whole Harding thing and in her life choices since then. I just don't miss her skating.

Arthur Dmitriev: it always seemed disrespectful to his talent, to the fabulous efforts of his partners and to the sport for him to appear with such obvious unpreparation. Have the time, he didn't bother to shave or comb his hair. What a marvolous career he had! But he should have stopped skating professionally when the light went out of it for him. How wonderful it is that he is coaching and working out of the spotlight now. This is a much more appropriate contribution to the sport. If I missed him, I would be missing the man who made skating his life, not the older version who made the performance and afterthought.

Michael Weiss: his exhibition programs are just juvinile. One protrays a high school student longing for the innocent sweetheart who isn't so innocent when she grows up... so why didn't the guy grow up at the same time? Another is skated to a boy band teen sensation. Hello? So, I hope that Michael gets his jumps back and has a wonderful run in this last year of eligible skating (I'm assuming this is his last year but could be totally wrong). Then, I hope he gets some good advice about choosing music for his exhibition programs. If I want to see fancy backflips, I'll watch another sport. I want to see fancy everything, set to tasteful music.

Hope this didn't sound like a slam. I said very nice things about each skater I don't miss... but I really don't miss them.

Linny

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I didn't take it as a slam, Linny. You defined the programs and not the skater. I won't miss the skating of Maria Butreskya. Her skating seemed stiff to me. I never cared for the skating of Roca and Sur, except for their "Maria" program. Their skating often seemed to be "too choreographed", with a lot of "flinging of the limbs" incorporated......42

I'm not good at remembering specific programs and I don't mean my answers as a slam, either, but, for the most part, I have not enjoyed the skating of:
Tara Lipinski
Maria Butyrskaya
Nancy Kerrigan
Gary Beacom
and tho he's still "on the scene", Michael Weiss
Altho I've enjoyed a program here or there by all listed (except Beacom), most of the time I just wasn't drawn into their skating.

diver chick

On the Ice
Hmm,

Mike Weiss, his skating just doesn't do anything for me.
Todd Eldredge, totally respect the man and his ability but I could never get into his skating.
Grischuk and Platov, not really sure why as they were an incredibly talented dance couple. I think it was more to do with the fact that I was huge Usova/Zhulin fan and Rahkamo & Kokko fan so G&P style just didn't appeal to me.
Wortzel & Stuer, it bothers me not one iota that I haven't seen them skate for years.

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Skaters I don't miss

Skaters I don't miss

Maria Butyrskaya
Tara Lipinski
Nancy Kerrigan
Kurt Browning

diamond :love:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
ITA with all of you, but how can we not miss Michael Weiss if he won't go away? I have also neglected to miss Sarah Hughes and (although I'm sure she's an absolute sweetheart) Jennifer Robinson. Oh, and remind me to put "be sure to miss Platov and whatever his partner calls herself these days" on my calendar. Otherwise I'm sure to forget.
;)
Rave...well, maybe it's "Rant" today!

Linny

Final Flight
Not missing Tara

I was pleasantly surprised by Tara Lipinsky's inaugural professional programs. The influence of Kurt Browning was quite evident. I remember in particular a program to Sarah Brightman's Second Element where she flew down the long side in intricate footwork. Later in her professional career, she did a program to Vanessa Carlton's version of the Rolling Stone's Paint It Black that was also quite good... not as good as Fumie Surguri's version, but quite good.

But these were the exceptions. Other Tara programs were, uh, insipid. Guess that's not a very nice thing to say. There are perhaps many who like the programs more - I just didn't. And I don't miss her. But I liked the two programs I mention above...

Linny

Germanice

On the Ice
Kwan - and the worst, she hasn't even retired yet! :laugh:

Eldredge - as far I've heard one of his new SOI-programs is called "Let me entertain you", well, another chance for Todd, because so far he tried in vain ... ZZZZZZZZZ .....

Stojko - I've to say I felt relieved when he retired. I simply had enough of his stale and none saying woodchopper programs! He never even tried to get some meaning into his skating.

Kerrigan - she obviously liked to play her Snow White role. No Oscar for her!

Anke

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tara Lipinski - small jumps, tiny acting talent
Oksana Baiul - over the top dramatics, double-footed skating
Sarah Hughes - faulty technique, bad posture
Philippe Candeloro - unwashed hair, no shirt, BO--Phew!
Maria Butyrskaya - stiff, made me nervous
Alexei Urmanov - the gloved one, never got him
Elvis Stojko - brillo hair, stodgy skating
Fusar-Poli/Margaglio - frantic skating
Lobacheva/Averbuch - that green-costumed rock'n'roll number will live in infamy
Viktor Petrenko - who let the dog in?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Philippe Candeloro - when he takes off his clothes! Don't get me wrong - I really liked his "Godfather" programs & "The Three Musketeers." His "George of the Jungle" program was the most inane program I've ever seen. :mad: :confused:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Tara Lipinski
Elvis Stojko
Philippe Candeloro
Alexei Urmanov
Fusar-Poli/Margaglio
Lobacheva/Averbukh
Sarah Hughes - although I must say I am interested in seeing her in SOI, much more than Tara (I refused to go when she was in the show so I missed out on the final year for Kristi :cry: )

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Tara Lipinski--insipid musical choices, uninspired choreography
Sarah Hughes--ungainly and awkward at times; lots of little problems with her basic skating technique
Maria Butyrskaya--stiff, robotic
Nancy Kerrigan--boring programs, no spark
Oksana Baiul--too melodramatic and diva-ish in her prime; now just flat artistically and very weak technically
Katya Gordeeva--her programs have been disappointing since she dropped Zoueva as her choreographer

Michael Weiss--overly flashy programs and too many technical mistakes
Elvis Stojko--just no artistic talent, predictable music choices

Eltsova & Bushkov--perhaps the least impressive World pairs champions ever
Kovarikova & Novotny--could never get into their programs
Meno & Sand--boring programs during their pro career; never quite realized their potential
Kazakova & Dmitriev--never liked this couple and felt they never quite gelled as a team, despite having won OGM. Was always a big Mishkutenok/Dmitriev fan; never felt Oksana was a worthy successor to Natalia. (Oh, and LOL about Artur's hygiene problems.)

Fusar-Poli & Margaglio--frenetic, sloppy
Grishuk & Platov--no magic or emotion to their skating
Rahkamo & Kokko--a little too odd for my taste
Krylova & Ovsiannikov--overhyped, too melodramatic
Lobacheva & Averbukh--just nothing special or memorable about them
Bourne & Kraatz--can't say I really miss them. Despite their undeniable charisma, always found their skating a bit sloppy and lacking in unison

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Surya Bonaly

Nancy Kerrigan

Jennifer Robinson

Meno and Sand

There are also several I'm sick of that will not fade into the woodwork! :mad:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Kerrigan, Baiul, Lipinski, Butyrskaya, Ito, Thomas,Harding Tickner, Stojko, Zagorodnik, Candoloro, Yagudin
Moniotte/Lavanchy, Gritshuk/Platov
Urbanski/Marvel

shine

Record Breaker
eyria said:
Krylova & Ovsiannikov--overhyped, too melodramatic
:eek:hwell: They are the most under-hyped/under-recognized greatest ice dance team ever, if there were one at all!!
But then, I find your entire dance list pretty bizzare :p

Last edited:
I for one miss Tara. She had spunk and drive and she always skated her little heart out.

MM:)

dfj

On the Ice
I was happy to see Yagudin go - sore loser, bad winner and a whiner to boot.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Pasha (or Oksana or whatever) Grischuk - I miss Platov, but Oksana made me ill with her "Everyone stop and look at me" attitude. I usually like the Diva types because they stir things up, but she is one Diva I can definitely do without.