$1,300 to carpet a 12 x 18 bedroom?! | Golden Skate

$1,300 to carpet a 12 x 18 bedroom?!

Johar

Medalist
My bedroom is 12 x 18. With a carpeting pad and foot wide darker border of carpeting around the bedroom they said it would cost $1,300, plus $150 labor.

My friend says I am getting waaaaay ripped off. He said in 1998 he had three bedrooms, a living room and a hallway carpeted with a pad underneath for $1,000. His living room alone is bigger than my bedroom and his bedrooms are pretty good size each.

Am I getting taken for a ride because I am a female?

dfj

On the Ice
Johar said:
Am I getting taken for a ride because I am a female?

What does being female have to do with anything? You more than likely picked an expensive contractor. Get some more estimates before you make a decision. And remember the quality of the carpet and underpad will dictate its price.

Also ask if the estimated price includes removal and disposal of the old carpet (if necessary).

Johar

Medalist
Some contractors will think females are gullible and naive and will jack up the prices.

CanuckSk8r

Rinkside
I would expect that the custom border in the darker colour will be costing you extra. But as it was said before, the price will depend on what quality of underpad AND carpet you chose.
Working it out, you are payin a little over $6 per square foot. I would assume that probably $1.50 (approx) is for the under pad. If you are that concerned about getting ripped off, go price it out elsewhere.
JMO, it's not right for people to rip consumers off, but ultimately it's our responsibility to be informed. You can't get taken if you know what you want and have done the research.

Definately shop around, don't go with the first person you consult.
The dark border definately adds to the price. As does the quality of carpet and padding you use, which has been mentioned by others. I haven't had carpeting done in 17 years so I don't know what prices are now-a-days, but I might be finding out within the next year or so...17 years has left the work we had done that many years ago looking pretty ragged. The carpet has held up fairly well, tho. It'd probably look almost new again if I'd get it shampooed.
I hear tell that a brand called Lee/Leigh(SP?) is one of the best and would obviously be more costly.