Oksana B. cancels 'meet & greet' in Winnipeg | Golden Skate

Oksana B. cancels 'meet & greet' in Winnipeg

John King

Final Flight
Organizers canel Oksana B. 'meet & greet' in Winnipeg

I recieved a phonecall from my Aunt in Winnipeg,Manitoba,and apparently Oksana Baiul had cancelled an appearence at a fundraiser out of concerns over the election uproar in her native Ukraine.It was to raise funds for Scott Hamilton C.A.R.E.S. project,as well as for a Ukrainian orphanage.What rotten timing,as I'm sure Auntie Dee would have loved that.

Update:I got a letter from my Aunt,and it wasn't Oksana who cancelled it,it was the organisers who didn't want to put her in the spotlight unnecessarily.So don't blame the li'l lady.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

John King said:
I recieved a phonecall from my Aunt in Winnipeg,Manitoba,and apparently Oksana Baiul had cancelled an appearence at a fundraiser out of concerns over the election uproar in her native Ukraine.It was to raise funds for Scott Hamilton C.A.R.E.S. project,as well as for a Ukrainian orphanage.What rotten timing,as I'm sure Auntie Dee would have loved that.

With all due respect to Oksana, what possible connection could there be with the fundraiser in Winnipeg and the political situation in her native Ukraine? One has NOTHING to do with the other! I hardly think that anyone who harbors resentment towards the Ukraine would be lurking in the audience to attack Oksana. I'm sure she is concerned about the situation in her native land, but she's not living there any longer. She has a life in North America, and that means keeping your professional commitments. IMHO, of course.

John King

Final Flight
Oksana

I don't know either,but she has been hitting the fashion curcuit,and has made appearances for fundraising,so it must have been something.She had visited the Ukraine earlier this year,as well as her reunion with her dad last year.Maybe she had heard news about some friend or acquaintance being injured or something,and she got cold feet regarding the timing.

Patches

Spectator
There is a very large Ukrainian population in Winnipeg - who knows what the connection could be but if she felt threatened - better safe than sorry!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Patches said:
There is a very large Ukrainian population in Winnipeg - who knows what the connection could be but if she felt threatened - better safe than sorry!

You can say that again! There is a large Ukranian population in Alberta - especially in Edmonton - as well as Manitoba. I met loads of Ukrainians when I lived there for a year. Almost everyone had "chuck" on the end of their name. Ate lots of great Borsche soup!!!!

Could have been a publicity thing for Oksana. Maybe one day she will reschedule her visit. She really not fear any threat here in Canada.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Oksana in Winnepeg

Watching the World team Challenge was wonderful because I got to see Oksana skate. Many things about her skating I have always found exciting, and two things that have remained after all these years are her speed, ice coverage and her huge jumps. Her triple lutz was absolutely gorgeous and as big as Sebestyen or Volchkova's or Irina's. Her triple salcow was also huge and approached with such great speed.

Her style is one of building great speed with crossovers in a pattern around the rink into huge jumps, then into more slow, isolated choreography. In the rink, it builds great excitement, and she is still exciting to watch.

Great skate Oksana!

John King

Final Flight
A little off-topic,but....

Go to these photos at Absolute Now ,especially this .Gal sure has matured since her Olympic Gold(even though these services keep misspelling Gene's name :sheesh: .It's Sunik,not Sonik!).