World Team Challenge | Golden Skate

World Team Challenge

Antilles

Medalist
After watching the technical program, this event is already so much better than Ice Wars. The programs are entertaining, but they look like real programs. Due to a technical glitch (at least in my area) I did not see Sale&Pelletier, and only the tail end of B&S, but everything I saw was good.

The height of Oksana Bauil's beautiful triple lutz was amazing. It was so nice to see Caryn Kadavy again. Browning was exquisite. What a lovely program, and I always love seeing Yaguidn perform Winter.

I can't wait for the artistic programs tonight!

bleuchick

On the Ice
I love both pairs....kinda miss their programs, rivarly, and all that which used to make me have a heart attack. :cry: :cry: Oh I miss the good old days. :biggrin: :biggrin: .... :sheesh:

Kurt - wow. The complete opposite of Ice Wars. :rock: :rock: Triple-triple combinations and no props. !!! :cool: :cool:

Kadavy - I know I know but I liked what I saw. :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, Toni, if you're lucky enough to have the Oxygen Channel as part of your cable service.

Airtimes in USA (EST)

Saturday, December 18, 7 to 11 PM

Sunday, December 19, 5 to 9 PM

Saturday, December 25, 8 to 12 AM, 12 to 4 PM , 8 to midnight

Sunday, December 26 10 AM to 12 PM

As always, check your local listings! :)

millie

Medalist
Oksana

Oksana skated with all her heart and soul. She did excellent. She said that she hasn't did the triple lutz since she was 16, it was beautiful. She gave a very nice interview with Debbie Wilks after her program. She is first in the technical. Can't wait to see the artistict program.

dmr65

On the Ice
bleuchick said:
I love both pairs....kinda miss their programs, rivarly, and all that which used to make me have a heart attack. :cry: :cry: Oh I miss the good old days. :biggrin: :biggrin: .... :sheesh:

Add high blood pressure.... :laugh:

Denise...

chania36

On the Ice
I just watched this competition and it was great, yes, much better then Ice Wars, before we did have a pair team in each group for ice wars, but no more. I dont know why.

I was very happy to see that professional competition, four group.

They have Team Canada

- Kurt Browning
- Sale and Pelletier
- Jennifer Robinson

They have Team Russia

-Alexei The Great, Yagudin
- Maria Burtiskya
- Helena and Anton

They have Europe team

- Oksana Baiul
- Joseph Sobvochek
- pair team that do not know.... and do not remember their name

They have USA Team

-Todd Eldredge
- Karen Kadavy
- Ina and Zimmerman

This is a great format, from what I've see for the technical part of it, it was all new programs. Very well skated. Sale and Pelletier were great like always, the pair part of this competition is very strong, very good pair skaters. Very exquisite style for Elena and Anton to If I could, Elena although the fell on the throw jump... the program was amazing, Sale and Pelletier too had an amazing program, their style, hyper pair with a lot of energy and great pair elements. No mistakes for them visible to the eye. I love them both those two couples, I would hate to be judging both team because they are so different but so good each and everyone of those two.

Tonight is the long program, so I am so anxious, I am taping it. All of it, this mean 4 hours of complete coverage on TSN.

I just want to say that on December 18 someone here mention that it will be broadwasted in th eUSA starting that date but on that day, we have the show Andrea Bocelli on ice from 4pm to 6pm on NBC. It will be hard to do both.

Anayway, if you want to watch it when it is showed in the USA,. for those who live there, do not miss it, it is so good and been so long since we've seen a pro competition like that.

Enjoy it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Actually Ice Wars has only included pairs twice in it's history... and ice dance only once!

not sure if I get the Oxygen channel... probably not :(

heyang

Record Breaker
Darn - I don't get Oxygen Network. Almost makes me want to swtich back to DirectTv.

Antilles

Medalist
Well, the artistic was just as good as the technical. "The Feeling Begins" is popular music lately. Kurt skated it tonight. It's an excellent program. I'd like a tad more footwork though. Yagudin was really on fire tonight. I like the "bourbon" program.

Both B&S and S&P have good programs, but both had a couple of little glitches tonight. Lots of dance moves in B&S's program. I&Z did a really classy routine. That European pair was a little scary. I've never seen "headbangers" performed quite like that. I've never seen a woman's head really come that close to the ice. The variation on the end was cool, too.

It's nice to see Bauil doing so well, and Jennifer Robinson had a great night. Kadavy was classy as always. Butyrskaya was the only one who really had any difficulties.

Overall, Canada defednded it's title. Russia finished second, the US third, and Europe 4th. Great night of skating!

bleuchick

On the Ice
Hey Kurt Fans - one message. Get a hold of a tape. It is worthy to see Kurt and others of course.

đź‘Ť

Vash01

Medalist
chania36 said:
I just watched this competition and it was great, yes, much better then Ice Wars, before we did have a pair team in each group for ice wars, but no more. I dont know why.

They have Team Russia

-Alexei The Great, Yagudin
- Maria Burtiskya
- Helena and Anton

Please..... her name is 'Elena'. Please don't call her Helena!

Also it is Maria Butyrskaya.

I have read about this competition elsewhere. Whenever there is a competition in Canada, only Canadians win. These type of competitions have made pro competitions meaningless. The judging is a joke, as we saw last year (I have not seen this year's competition on TV but I have read what others wrote- it sounds similar to last year). As much as I miss watching some of these skaters (particularly B&S and Yagudin) it is no pleasure to watch such competitions. I have no problem watching their show or exhibition performances.

Of course I have no problem with others enjoying it. We are different, that's all.

Vash

Last edited:

skatersmom

Spectator
I Saw this Live

[FONT=Impact]undefined[/FONT]undefinedundefined

I was in Winnipeg last night to see this event live. It was absolutely great. These skaters have such personalities that they do not show on TV.

Kurt, as always was amazing and Alexi, well, he was Alexi. What more can be said.

I do agree with the poster above. The Russian team should have won. ( and yes, I am Canadian)

Antilles

Medalist
I don't think Russia should have won, based on the performance of Butyrskaya. She really had two uninspired performances, and that is what kept Team Russia down. Canada lucked out, in that all of the disciplines had decent Canadian skaters. I do think B&S should have finished ahead of S&P in the artistic, because they had less glitches. Also, Yagudin should have won the technical program outright. I did love Kurt's performance. I think it should have been close, but not quite enough for a tie.

Although I agree, in both the eligible and pro Worlds, Canada really does seem to benefit from some home country bias.

A big welcome to Millie and Skatersmom -- thanks for posting.

Tech notes Millie, if you want to make corrections in your posts, you can click on "edit" right below the post.

Skatersmom, to make the buttons work for "font," "bold," "color," etc., first click on "enhanced mode" at the top of the dialogue window.

Mathman (moderator) :)