Litchis | Golden Skate

Litchis

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I think the correct way to spell is lychees..

It is a fruit which actually comes from a tree :) and if you are lucky to have an Asian grocer nearby (or a very well stocked supermarket) you can taste them raw. They taste like a cross between grapes and pears. They come in a fuzzy oval shaped shell (about an inch in diameter) and contain large pits.

enjoy,

Yana

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
They're delicious! I love them raw. However, off season, the easiest way to get them is canned -- you can always get it at Chinatown. It makes for a great and elegant desert.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I have a can of lychees in my cupboard that's been there for 2 years and counting.... (It's spelled that way on the can, but I do think that Litchis or Lichis is an alternate spelling; I've seen it spelled any number of ways).

STL_Blues_Fan, thanks for the info as to the taste. Supposedly, according to my grandmother, my cousin and I tried them when we were quite young (like 3 or 4) and we were NOT impressed, but I have no recollection of the experience (tho my cousin still does). I bought the can out of curiousity, but it's a pretty big can and I've been afraid to open them and try them in the event that over 30 years later I still think they're nasty. But they don't sound that bad. Perhaps I'll even open them sometime this week!

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
You are welcome, Jonny Coop.

Just be careful as to not eat too much. I ended up with a pretty bad skin reaction the first time I tried them. Granted I must've eaten a couple of pounds... I had them fisrt in France where they are fairly popular (and are sold by dime a dozen, or more like 5 kg baskets).

I had no problems since that incident though..

Also, I find that fresh and canned fruits taste fairly similar.

Yana

skatingfantasy

Rinkside
Hmmmm.....sounds like they are pretty tasty. I don't want to gross anyone out but the thing that made me curious about them was a recipe in a woman's magazine that used them in a halloween drink, you cut a little slice in them and stick cherries in them and put them in a glass with apple juice and (pear juice??) i can't remember the other drink that goes in it but it makes the drink look cloudy so that the litchis look like eyes in a formaldahyde solution. They really looked like eyes in the picture. The magazine spelled it Litchis so that's all I had to go on. Unfortunatly I probably won't be able to try them because I don't know of any Asian markets in my town. :cry:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I love lychees!!! If any of you are familiar with "bubble tea" with tapioca pearls in it, lychee is my favorite flavor. I'm not sure if bubble tea is widely popular, I've only had it in austin and houston where there are larger asian populations. I dont think we have any tapioca tea joints here in san antonio :(

John King

Final Flight
Lychees

Hi,MaryJane!Oddly enouch,that's my favorite flavour of Tea!I even know of this Mid-east food store where I can buy instant sweetened Lychee Green tea(made in Poland!).

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Longhornliz said:
I love lychees!!! If any of you are familiar with "bubble tea" with tapioca pearls in it, lychee is my favorite flavor. I'm not sure if bubble tea is widely popular, I've only had it in austin and houston where there are larger asian populations. I dont think we have any tapioca tea joints here in san antonio :(

Bubble tea and lychee nuts are very popular here on the West Coast (British Columbia) especially in Richmond. They have the highest Asian poplulation on the lower mainland. In fact, there is a signage issue going at the moment. Most of the Asian people have their signs in their lingo, of course, we Occidentals (westerners) can't read a word! Now there is talk of legistlating a by-law that their signs have to be in both Chinese or Korean and English. This was a hot topic in Quebec for years over French/English. It still is as far as I know.

La Brum

Spectator
My co-worker brought some fresh lychees back to Houston after going home
to Bangladesh. About the size of a walnut with a pretty pink rind. If spray
painted gold they would make nice Christmas ornaments. He laughed when
I tried to eat one without first peeling it. They had kind of a sweet grapefruit
taste. I was so impressed that I took the seeds home and planted them.
Unfortunately, they just rotted.