Who would have thought? | Golden Skate

Who would have thought?

skatingfantasy

Rinkside
In my new Glamour mag, Michelle Kwan is quoted as saying she gets revved up before competitions by watching the movie Gladiator with Russell Crowe, and that Tonya Harding was her role model until she allegedly helped plan an attack on Nancy Kerrigan. I would have never guessed either of those things about Michelle. But it makes sense, all three of them have that fighting spirit in them.

R.D.

Record Breaker
hmm...interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Gladiator? Sounds more like something a football or basketball player would watch to get "revved up", not a figure skater!

brad640

On the Ice
Interesting that Michelle never says things like this in her on camera interviews where she makes the standard figure skater comments. I imagine that many of the top skaters are more fiercely competitive than they seem in their programs. Remember when Plushenko started yelling in Kiss and Cry when he found out he had won Worlds last season? He looked like he could have been in Gladiator. I wonder if Michelle pictures herself in hand to hand combat with Irina and Sasha. Maybe she will have a future in boxing after she retires.

Fossi

Final Flight
I knew Tonya used to be her role model, because Tonya used to be my favorite skater. Role models change over time. Michelle used to be Sarah's role model, but then they became serious competitors and that changed.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Not to snark or anything, but I'm an English teacher, and the title of this thread should be "would HAVE thought."

thanks for bringing up an interesting topic!

Laura :)

I knew about Harding. I guess it was during MK's jumping jack period. I didn't know about Crowe and Gladiator. I love MK's skating but I don't agree with her on either of her idols.

Joe

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Nah, it's not dumb, my 9th and my seniors graders make the same mistake all the time. We just get so used to saying "would've" that we wind up spelling it "would of."

Please, continue the discussion....nothing to see, move along.

:)

IDLERACER

Medalist
From what I've observed over the years, most skaters have crummy taste, when it comes to entertainment. Nicole Bobek and Oksana Baiul are huge deovtees of Madonna. :sheesh:

I thought Gladiator was another one of those movies that people will look back on in about 20 years and say, "Do you believe that pile of crap won best picture?" :frown:

Last edited:
Who wouldda ... ?

Michelle has said in the past that she likes all these heroic action sagas. IIRC Braveheart was another favorite.

Michelle is also on record in praise of Madonna. She once said that she wanted to pattern her career after Madonna's, in the sense of always redefining herself by coming out with something new and unexpected.

MM

Last edited:

sk8m8

Final Flight
If you go to www.cruelladekwan.com and look under the "other skaters" category, and then look for the drop down box that gives you Tonya Harding....you will see TH's USFSA championship skate. When she does her lutz, it is so true and so high that they show a shot of a 13 YO jumping bean Michelle utter the words wow.

However you feel about TH, she did have one of the best lutz's in the book.

I am often reminded of David Santee who skated to Rocky because it inspired him. YUK! Memorable lyrics..." Gonna fly now, Flying high now, Gonnna Flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy-YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! thank god skaters grow up LOL

Kuchana

On the Ice
skatingfantasy said:
In my new Glamour mag, Michelle Kwan is quoted as saying she gets revved up before competitions by watching the movie Gladiator with Russell Crowe, and that Tonya Harding was her role model until she allegedly helped plan an attack on Nancy Kerrigan. I would have never guessed either of those things about Michelle. But it makes sense, all three of them have that fighting spirit in them.

LOL I actually found this out earlier today about the choice of music to rev up to and couldn't help but wonder but hey if it works for her then why not?:)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Although I do not share Kwan's like for this movie at all, I do understand why this movie would hyper her up for a competiton.

Kuchana

On the Ice
VIETgrlTerifa said:
Although I do not share Kwan's like for this movie at all, I do understand why this movie would hyper her up for a competiton.

Same here. It definitely gets you in the fighting mood:) I love seeing that fire and determination on her face before she skates. It's electric.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
PrincessLeppard said:
Please, continue the discussion....nothing to see, move along. :)
Yes, Teacher. Laura, you are really in your teacher mode!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Lotta

On the Ice
Michelle is also on record in praise of Madonna. She once said that she wanted to pattern her career after Madonna's, in the sense of always redefining herself by coming out with something new and unexpected

I wouldn't be surprised if Michelle went gothic black on her style. :biggrin:

Eeyora

Final Flight
At 94 Nationals I remember them saying Michelle was thrilled to be competing against her idol Tonya Harding.