The Jury's back | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Jury's back

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joe, the 'RR' goes by Hebrew and Greek writings when it comes to finding out what was actually said... not the latest greatest rework of the English translation...

the RL seems to think much the same way as the RR... otherwise they wouldn't say we're wrong ;) so it goes both ways... :laugh:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
Joe, the 'RR' goes by Hebrew and Greek writings when it comes to finding out what was actually said... not the latest greatest rework of the English translation.../QUOTE]
Toni, not to get into a religious argument, but still... Let's assume that we were indeed created by G-d. Regardless of how you look at history, I think it's clear that the society has evolved a lot during the last few thousand of years (I am not even talking about Darwinian evolution, I am talking about social one). Would it then not be logical to assume that G-d create humans with potential to increase their knowledge? Taking it one step further, would it then not be logical to continue finding new interpretations for the word of G-d? If anything, I think this is the one most important quality that separates man from beast -- the ability to not only improve ourselves, but lay the foundation for the next generations to have better lives.

Let's take killing. Even Judaism, with its strict adherence to the Word of G-d, follows Talmud, which is but the interpretation of Torah (the 1st 5 books of the Old Testament). If you looked to Bible directly, we would need to go back to things such as stoning for adultorous women, and wholesale elimination of entire enemy cities including the sick, women, and children. I know you would not support such a literal interprerations.

Also, don't forget how people over the years have used Bible for their own purposes. People justified slavery by saying that Africans were descendants of Ham, and indeed Noah did curse Ham and all his descendants. Back in the medieval times, the favorite Jesus quote of religious authorities was "I have come to bring the sword, not the shield"; today it sounds painfully remeniscent of Islamic fatwas. All I am saying, I guess is that Bible is like the US Constitution -- everyone looks at it and sees different things.

Flora MacDonald

Rinkside
Tonichelle said:
Joe, the 'RR' goes by Hebrew and Greek writings when it comes to finding out what was actually said... not the latest greatest rework of the English translation...

the RL seems to think much the same way as the RR... otherwise they wouldn't say we're wrong ;) so it goes both ways... :laugh:

Slightly OT but the RL, if you must, relies as much as possible on Greek and Hebrew as well. My nephew is a recent graduate of and Episcopal Seminary and he spent many hours in Hebrew and Greek classes. He would tell you the Hebrew says "murder" as Jewish law makes a distinction between murder and killihng.
I don't really understand the term "religious right" as it seems to encompass a wide variety of Christian theology.
I'm religious left so where would we be saying you are wrong?