Another splatfest for the US Men? | Golden Skate

Another splatfest for the US Men?

S

SkateFan4Life

I feel a nightmare coming on ....

Johnny Weir arrives at US Nationals with a still-injured foot and further aggravates the injury during practice. He manages to get through the short program but falls apart in the long program. After falling three times, he aborts his long program - 2003 deja vu.

Timothy Goebel arrives at US Nationals with an injured back and a body that is all out of alignment. He struggles through practices and skates a short program that is on par with last year's short - terrible and full of falls. He withdraws prior to the long. After consulting with his physicians and physical therapists, all of whom advise him that he will never be able, physically, to land consistent quads, he announces his retirement from competitive skating.

Michael Weiss arrives at US Nationals uninjured, but he has terrible practices. He falls on his triple axel in the short, falls on his quad and the triple axel in the long program, yet wins the US title.

Matt Savoie arrives at US Nationals nursing a hip injury and falls several times in both programs. He wins the silver medal, nonetheless.

Ryan Jahnke arrives at US Nationals uninjured, but he falls on his triple axels in both the short and long programs. Still, due to the disasters that fall on Weir and Goebel, and the poor skating displayed by the rest of the men, he wins the bronze medal.

At this point, I wake up. Whew!!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
LOL at the typo in your subject header! :laugh: (maybe the guys can just stand on the ice and see who can spit the farthest? :p )

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Sylvia said:
LOL at the typo in your subject header! :laugh: (maybe the guys can just stand on the ice and see who can spit the farthest? :p )

Egads! I told you this was a nightmare! :rofl:

S

SkateFan4Life

Sylvia said:

Obviously, the title should be Splatfest!

S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:
I started to say :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: , but then I realized it could turn out just like that! :cry:

MM

Exactly, Mathman. This nightmare might become a reality. :cry:

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
In fact, it has happened... Your nightmare is pretty spot on, it's just the worst of the last two seasons put together!

nicole_l

Final Flight
Don't jinx it! Don't jinx it! Don't jinx it!
*Covers ears*
Say "Men's Nats are going to be awesome" three times and everything will be okay.

S

SkateFan4Life

nicole_l said:
Don't jinx it! Don't jinx it! Don't jinx it!
*Covers ears*
Say "Men's Nats are going to be awesome" three times and everything will be okay.

If only it was that easy! I have a nagging feeling that we are going to see either Weir or Goebel withdraw from the competition due to injuries or one or both of them continue on with the competition and skate sub-par performances.

My dream would be for all of the men to skate the performances of their lives and for all of the judges' hair to turn gray as they try to sort this out! :rofl:

S

SkateFan4Life

thisthingcalledlove said:
Maybe Michelle and Sasha should enter the men's competition this year :rofl:

Neither Michelle nor Sasha have a triple axel, solid triple/triple combinations, and of course neither have a quad. On paper, they wouldn't stand a chance against the men. However.......if it turns into a splatfest, maybe they could be competitive. :rofl:

mzheng

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Neither Michelle nor Sasha have a triple axel, solid triple/triple combinations, and of course neither have a quad. On paper, they wouldn't stand a chance against the men. However.......if it turns into a splatfest, maybe they could be competitive. :rofl:

Yeah. Whoever said that Michelle actually won 2003 US men title. Since non of them landed any 3axel or quad in LP. And no one completed 6 clean triples?

dr.frog

On the Ice
mzheng said:
Yeah. Whoever said that Michelle actually won 2003 US men title. Since non of them landed any 3axel or quad in LP. And no one completed 6 clean triples?

Ryan Jahnke most certainly landed a triple axel in the LP in Dallas -- it was his first clean one in competition ever! And 6 triples total.

ladybug

On the Ice
With all the injuries in men's and ladies elite skaters don't you think their bodies are try to tell them and the fans something.

A body can only take so much consistant pounding before it begins to rebel.

Ladybug

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't understand all this gloom and doom over the men's event. Weir is skating spectacularly this season and his foot injury isn't all that serious. Why would he crash at Nationals? I do have concerns about Goebel, because it seems his 'structural' problem can recur unexpectedly at any time. Weiss never has a good SP but his Nationals FSs are usually competitive with the other men. I think even with his hip injury, Lysacek could crack the podium this year.

Let's try to keep an optimistic frame of mind.

I think the LADIES may be the splatfest event this year. Sasha is not in the best shape, based on her Marshall's performance. Alissa Czisny, Jenny Kirk and Angela Nikodinov didn't exactly bring the house down, either. And Kwan has been having boot problems--again!

S

SkateFan4Life

ladybug said:
With all the injuries in men's and ladies elite skaters don't you think their bodies are try to tell them and the fans something.

A body can only take so much consistant pounding before it begins to rebel.

Ladybug

Exactly! Even the most highly-trained body can only take so much pounding. The hips, knees, and ankles were never made to withstand the constant pressure of landing triples and/or quads on figure skates.

I hope the guys skate well at Nationals, but I'm expecting to see at least a few of them crash and burn, due to injuries.