What was the worst skating interview? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What was the worst skating interview?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pau-goodle76 said:
One of the worse imo, is the interview done by that Beth chick with Todd Eldredge. The show was called The Golden Gala,or something like that, and it took place after the Nagano games were over. She all made him cry by asking something like, 'How did you feel to watch your young teammate and training partner go and win the gold medal and have the national anthem played for her?' I remember going, "WTF?!?!?" and then I felt really bad when he started crying and was trying to stop but couldn't stop and she was just sitting there waiting for her answer. That was just wrong!

Pau-goodle76, thank you for mentioning this one. Her name was Beth Ruyak. I cringe when I watch that interview. :mad: :cry: Apart from that, I go along with those who pointed out the interview with Brian Orser at the Calgary Olympics.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
Yes, I recall that famous moment. Brian Orser was devastated after the results. It was really in poor tatste. Also, ABC did a piece on Brian Orser and kept referring to him as "Mr. Second Place." That really got my dander up!!!! :sheesh:

Ladskater, I certainly understand that, as a Canadian, you wouldn't be pleased with seeing fellow Canadian Brian Orser referred to as "Mr. Second Place". However, the fact remains that Orser, as wonderful as skater as he was and still is, finished second repeatedly at Worlds - 1984, 1985, 1986, and 1988, and finished second twice at the Olympics - 1984 and 1988. Orser won the Worlds in 1987 by putting everything together in championship style, but he also blew a number of World championships. Had Orser not flubbed the triple flip and had he landed the second triple axel at Calgary, he probably would have defeated Brian Boitano and would have won the gold medal. However, that didn't happen. Orser, unfortunately, make crucial mistakes in his school figures, short program, and/or long program during those competitions.

soogar

Record Breaker
Who really knows how Brian did in school figures? No one ever payed attention to that aspect of the competition and there was a lot of shady judging to keep the favored skaters on top. I read that Gary Beacom threw a fit when he saw his scores and threw his skates against a wall or something. And I really can't imagine Gary Beacom being bad at figures as that man has/had such control over his blades.

I've read a few accounts (mainly from disgruntled former competitors) who have said that Scott Hamilton received many gifts during his competitive days.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Pau-goodle76 said:
One of the worse imo, is the interview done by that Beth chick with Todd Eldredge. The show was called The Golden Gala,or something like that, and it took place after the Nagano games were over. She all made him cry by asking something like, 'How did you feel to watch your young teammate and training partner go and win the gold medal and have the national anthem played for her?' I remember going, "WTF?!?!?" and then I felt really bad when he started crying and was trying to stop but couldn't stop and she was just sitting there waiting for her answer. That was just wrong!

ITA with your choice but I tho't it was Andrea Joyce? who conducted that interview. Tasteless, heartless & I've held it against her ever since. I'd hate to think I was black-listing the wrong woman!!

S

SkateFan4Life

soogar said:
I've read a few accounts (mainly from disgruntled former competitors) who have said that Scott Hamilton received many gifts during his competitive days.

Scott Hamilton had solid school figures and usually finished second or third in that discipline in international competition. He then made up the deficit in his short and long programs. At the 1984 Winter Olympics, Hamilton won the school figures and Brian Orser finished seventh. That cushion enabled Scott to win the gold medal, despite finishing second to Orser in both the short and long programs.

Spirit

On the Ice
iluvtodd said:
Pau-goodle76, thank you for mentioning this one. Her name was Beth Ruyak. I cringe when I watch that interview.

That's the name of the woman I mentioned in my previous post, the one with the plastic smile in SLC. I couldn't remember her name at the time.