Plushy's Choreography | Golden Skate

Plushy's Choreography

It was the second time I enjoyed Evgeni skate, the first being the SP in Bofrost.

The choreography was fine. Everything had flow throughout and he flowed right along with it. He didn't pretend to be Brando (thank god). He just skated with all the emotion the music would drag out of him. Excellent. The choreography emphasizes his versatility. He would give Yags a run on this. Just wish he could spin better.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Linny said:
What did you'all think?
Linny

Did not see his program. When did you see him skate? I thought he was off due to injury. What music is he skating to?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lad, he skated to an Edvin Marton arrangement of the Godfather. I need to watch it again, it was just different. It was his lp at the Cup of Russia.

Dee

lavender

Record Breaker
Love Plushenko. If he ever gets some good choreography that makes sense he will have no challengers. I didn't think his program made any sense but you can't deny that his speed, coverage and jumps are amazing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
snow storm took out the sattelite feed during his skate... which sucks...

but it looked really funny pixelized... ;)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Love Plushenko. If he ever gets some good choreography that makes sense he will have no challengers. I didn't think his program made any sense but you can't deny that his speed, coverage and jumps are amazing.
Lavender I have to agree with you one this one. Great Technican on jumps and I saw improvement on his spins but choreography wise it's the same old same old stuff-too much stopping and to many cross overs into the jumps.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Lad, he skated to an Edvin Marton arrangement of the Godfather. I need to watch it again, it was just different. It was his lp at the Cup of Russia.

Dee

The Godfather? Isn't that a little "dated"?

Vash01

Medalist
I really liked Marton's rearrangement of the Godfather music. Plushy really does a great job skating to it.

Vash

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I could have done without the mimed gun shooting motions. Granted, it's in character, but I thought it was kind of juniorish.

He surely does fling himself around on the step sequence, which by the way, I really enjoyed. And I was very, very glad to see no Biellman spins in this routine. Perhaps they are still hurting his back. Also, since it requires 3 revolutions to get credit for the position, they might be a risk for him in these COP days. I always found it painful to watch him do it, so I am glad to see it go.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Plush's program...

DORISPULASKI said:
I could have done without the mimed gun shooting motions. Granted, it's in character, but I thought it was kind of juniorish.

He surely does fling himself around on the step sequence, which by the way, I really enjoyed. And I was very, very glad to see no Biellman spins in this routine. Perhaps they are still hurting his back. Also, since it requires 3 revolutions to get credit for the position, they might be a risk for him in these COP days. I always found it painful to watch him do it, so I am glad to see it go.
ITA, especially on the Biellman! Just my own personal preference, but I've never liked that position on a man, and it always strikes me as painful looking.

I watched the men's again on tape last night, and am delighted to really, really enjoy Plush's program. Once again it's just my personal taste, but many of Plush's previous presentations just seem "overdone" to me - overdone on the costumes, the audience mugging, the "in character" stuff, etc. Somehow this program seems slightly toned down on those fronts, and I just loved it. Plush is definitely in a league of his own.

ITA with previous posts that Johnny is not yet a Plush challenger. But...I think in his own way Johhny is coming into a league of his own as well. At least through the GP series. He's a strong second to Plush so far.

Just more thoughts..

DG

DORISPULASKI said:

That was the low point for me, too. The mimed gunshot didn't show me any character and who needed it? It had nothing to do with the music, but maybe with a story written 35 years ago. The skate would be fine without it.

Oh, Tosca's confusion, CioCio San's hari kari, Odette flapping wings in fear. It's all sooooo dramatic. :p and these skater's want extra credit for this? They look better on Saturday Night Live.

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
I think he is better than the program. But wow, he seems to have really improved the speed/centering on his spins! Good for him! the rest is all classic Plushenko. I liked last year's better, but maybe he'll have this one more solid by Euros and worlds. I have a lot of respect for his talent, even when I haven't liked the programs, and he seems like a very nice person.

Kasey

Linny

Final Flight
Music arrangement

I got the odd feeling that the music was arranged to fit the choreography, not the other way around. Picture this:
Plushy and coaches: OK, we need a section where he can prepare for his jumping, followed by a big musical highlight for the jump pass
Arranger: how does this sound (play a bit)
Plushy and coaches: Great, now we need a place where he can do his footwork...

Linny

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Well, that's why he had a proffessional composer do a personilized arrangement.

From my point of view, Plush has great flow over the ice and super jumping ability. I don't see much else about his skating. (I don't want to read anything about the contortionist bielman spin.) To have music arranged to show off his jumps and flow is exactly what he should do. He's looking better now despite the knee. Maybe some day he will learn how to grab the audience with his spins.

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
Yes and No

Making sure the arrangement matches the skating is very important... but there is something to be said for matching the skating to the music, also. I liked Plushy's CoR performance but felt that it was just a teeny bit manufactured.

Certainly, the music arrangement is a whole lot better than the days when the ran the cassette recorder while they played the vinyl album... then lifted the needle on the record player to make a music cut. :rolleye:

But it's still not a master piece. Perhaps Plushy has a master piece in him, where the skating and the music and the choreography and the technical prowness all come together...

Linny

Ladskater

Record Breaker
PrincessLeppard said:
How would that be more dated than Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, et al?

Mozart, Bach and Beethoven are timeless masterpieces. The Godfather's "been done" in full character before, I believe by Candelero. I would rather see Plushenko skate to a piece not used by another skater. Really see him stretch himself as far music and choreography go - like Kurt Browning does.