Worlds Predictions | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Worlds Predictions

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Arakawa ranks high as a contender at this point. She seems to be burnt out, and even before the boot problem, her FS has looked lackluster. I don't think she relates to the syrupy romantic music at all and I don't think it suits her. Although she isn't a particularly emotional skater, she did OK with the heavy dramatic "Turandot", but sappy love music clearly isn't her forte.

chuckm said:
I don't think Arakawa ranks high as a contender at this point. She seems to be burnt out, and even before the boot problem, her FS has looked lackluster. I don't think she relates to the syrupy romantic music at all and I don't think it suits her. Although she isn't a particularly emotional skater, she did OK with the heavy dramatic "Turandot", but sappy love music clearly isn't her forte.
Peter I. Tschaikowsky's fans would kill you for saying his music is syrupy. :laugh: but I understand what you mean. :) and I agree, poor Shizuka looks to me like lost in R&J. Sokolova's is much better despite the fact that she can't get syrupy either. Neither one of them look like they lost a lover. Not that that is so important but there's not much else.

Joe

Petlover

On the Ice
IMO, the worst part is that Shizuka has yet to look happy when she has skated this year. She is a gorgeous skater, and in last year's worlds LP showed she can skate up there with the best as long as she is enjoying herself, but this year it is simply not there. I truly hope she finds it for worlds, and that all of the senior ladies competing in worlds skate their best!

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I'm beginning to wonder if TT may not be the best coach for ladies mentally. While Yagudin seemed to thrive under her Sasha and Shizuka have not.

So far this year Joannie Rochette's Firebird :love: program is the best ladies program. If skated error free think that it could beat a clean Kwan, Slutskaya, or Cohen...unless Kwan can stir up some of the magic she usually has at Nationals.

Piel said:
So far this year Joannie Rochette's Firebird :love: program is the best ladies program. If skated error free think that it could beat a clean Kwan, Slutskaya, or Cohen...unless Kwan can stir up some of the magic she usually has at Nationals.
I think Joannie could place in the Worlds. I doubt she could beat out all of the gang of four. One of them is bound to hit, but if Joannie does skate that Firebird at her best, she will be on the podium, imo, because two of the four will make big faults. Another threat to the gang of four would be Sussana Poykio, imo. And we are all waiting for the other two Japanese Ladies. Moscow will be a very hot competition for all three places.

Joe

sheilagh

Rinkside
I'm going to stick my neck out here and predict the ladies in the following order:

Slutskaya
Rochette
Kwan

It's just a gut feeling, and I really hope Joannie is on the podium. She's done really amazing things this season.

-- sheilagh

Panther2000

On the Ice
ceg15 said:
Sorry, I was thinking about the Olympics. I'm hoping she'll win the Olympics in 2006 and be happy with that. When did she first come onto the scene? Didn't she go to worlds when she was 14? And how old is she now?

That I what I am thinking. The past few olympic seasons. The current world champ did not Win the Gold in singles skating. Plush was the current mens champ in 2002- alexei was the silver med. Alexei won gold at SLC. Michelle was the current world champ in 2002 & 1998 & failed to get the gold both times. I would love for michelle to win her 6th title this year. But, I will be happy for Silver now for michelle & Gold in Italy next year at the olympics.

I must say that I am very happy for a healthy Irina though.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Actually, Tara was the reigning World Champ going into Nagano. Just for history nuts -- reigning WC has won Oly gold four out of the past 5 times (1988, 1992, 1994 and 1998, but not 2002.) In 1984, 1992, 1994, 1998 and 2002 (but not 1988), the OGM was won by someone who made their first stop on the world podium the year prior to Olys, whether or not it was as World Champ. So, if the podium at Worlds is Slute, Rochette and Kwan, in any order, Rochette is historically favored to win the OGM. OTOH, if the podium is Slute, Kwan, Cohen, Arakawa, and/or Sokolova (choose any 3, in any order), then there is little (if any) historical precedent to help in predicting the OGM.

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
The OGM winner pattern seems to be as follows: ( in general, with the exception of 1984, I believe.Correct me if I am wrong.)

The OGM has almost always been won by someone who medaled the year before ( or won.....) at worlds.

So I bet that the podium this year is where the OGM winner is going to come from.

Panther2000

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Prediction: Ando, Slutskaya, Kwan.

Do you really think that Irina won't win. I think that Unless she makes major mistakes. The judges are all geared up to win. With her comeback this season & the way she has been skating. This would be her rewards. Not to mention that the games are being held in Russa.

I too am hoping that Michelle makes the podium. :rock:

aviva_dawn said:
The OGM winner pattern seems to be as follows: ( in general, with the exception of 1984, I believe.Correct me if I am wrong.)

The OGM has almost always been won by someone who medaled the year before ( or won.....) at worlds.

So I bet that the podium this year is where the OGM winner is going to come from.

I can't remember and too lazy to look it up but was Sarah a medal winner at the previous Worlds?

Joe

ExoticFlower

Spectator
Joesitz said:
I can't remember and too lazy to look it up but was Sarah a medal winner at the previous Worlds?

Joe

2004 World Silver.

My predictions: Slutskya(sp?)/Kwan going 1-2 either way and a surprise for 3rd...(sorry Cohen fans!) Probably one of the Japanese ladies, Shizuka or Miki...

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Actually, Sarah went into SLC as the reigning World Bronze medalist -- which was her first World medal. In 1983, at Worlds, Katerina Witt got her first World medal -- a silver; at Olys, she defeated the reigning World Champ, Roz Summers. At 1988 Olys, she was reigning World Champ. The World golds won by Yamaguchi ('91); Baiul ('93) and Lipinski ('97) were also the first World medal won by any of these three.

jesslily

Final Flight
For ladies, Irena Slutzkaya, Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen.

Irena is really on this year with complete set of triples and few great combos, plus her spins and spirals are great.

Jill

On the Ice
Cohen, Kwan, Slutskaya. Look for one of the Canadian girls to finish in the top 6, and Kirk will be in the top 10. Also in the top 10, we'll see Kostner, Sokolova, the girl from Finland, and Sebasteyn.

Coach

Rinkside
My prediction....Irina S. will finaly win the OGM.... not that she is the better skater...but, she is mentally very tough, and can score very well in CoP...She can triple/triple jump... and scores high in mpst spin elements...as well as she will score high PCS. Although, my favorite skater is Kwan.... she really needs to get her choreography material, jumps and spin elements sorted out. Right now, her spin elements are simply level 1.....where as Irina's are 3s.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I still say Slutskaya-Kwan-Arakawa and maybe someone else will challenge for a podium spot. I think Cohen hasn't been doing well and will have an off-podium finish this year.