Will there ever be a new jump, spin, or move? | Golden Skate

Will there ever be a new jump, spin, or move?

S

SkateFan4Life

Do you think we will ever see a new jump that will be accepted by the ISU and which can be marked by international judges?

Axel - named for Axel Paulsen
Salchow - named for Ulrich Salchow
Lutz
Flip
Toe Loop
Toe Walley
Loop

Hamill Camel - named for Dorothy Hamill
Ina Bauer - named for the creator of this move

Yes, Michael more or less invented the "tornado" jump, a combination of a back flip and jump, but this isn't likely to be ratified by the ISU. It's risky and probably too daredevil for competition.

It would be interesting to see a new jump emerge - but it is possible? If the jumps or moves were invented by the individual skater, what would they be called? What rhymes well with Weir, Goebel, Weiss, Plushenko (just call the move "The Plushenko"!), Joubert, Kwan, Cohen, Kirk, Arakawa, Slutskaya,
etc.?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Since there are only two edges to a blade and only a forward or backward takeoff position, I would find it highly unlikely that a new jump would be invented. Now if the ISU would allow skaters to rotate like a gymnast then the possibility of new jumps being created is likely.

skatepixie

On the Ice
Jumps-no...I doubt it.

Spins-the diffrent kinds of sipns are infinite. Basically, its any position you can dream up. Same with those grace moves like diffrent spiral leg holds and Inas and things.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Just take the toe out of the lutz...and try to triple that lol

it can be like an outside edge salchow...but i'm sure someone's already done that...

or how about maintaining a forward inside edge for the axel takeoff?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
You could always just take a very old move and rename it after yourself...MikePike, Sasha Curl, etc.

Spinner

Rinkside
thisthingcalledlove said:
Just take the toe out of the lutz...and try to triple that lol

it can be like an outside edge salchow...but i'm sure someone's already done that...

or how about maintaining a forward inside edge for the axel takeoff?
There are such moves. ;) Ages ago when I was still competing (about 10 years ago, actually), ISI had one of the testing options as a 'toeless Lutz', which is basically an outside edge Salchow. And lots of skaters do inside Axels, but usually only as a single jump.

I believe, like ballet has limited steps, figure skating has limited elements. I don't believe they use all of these elements but they are there, for example the Wally has been designated as footwork. duh? The toeless lutz is a difficult jump but rather than an extra air turn on a normal lutz, I'd like to see some adventurous skater attempt at least a double toeless lutz. There are also forward loop jumps, also difficult.

Other than that figure skating is a finite sport. It's what one does with what one has that makes it tick.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Axel - named for Axel Paulsen
Salchow - named for Ulrich Salchow
Also, in Europe "loop" is referred to as a Rittberger -- for Werner Rittberger.

Spirit

On the Ice
Okay, these are silly, but I'm tired and hungry and probably not thinking very well. I have no idea what these moves would look like, or if they actually fit the person's style at all. I just like to play with words.

The Kwan Swan.

Timothy Geobel: The Tim-Buk-Tu

Takeshi Honda: The Honda Accord (okay, so there might be a copyright violation)

Brian Joubert: The Joubert Jordan
(think basketball)

Jenny Kirk: The Jenerator

Yoshie Onda: The On Da Run

Amber Corwin: The Corwinator
or perhaps Kimberly Meissner: The Kimminator

The Savoie Grill

A-P McDonough: The McDonought-Try-This-At-Home

Rena Inoue & John Baldwin: The Inouendo

icy fresh

On the Ice
As I am a figure skater, I've come up with a new spin that is not a variation on anything and when it is good enough I hope to try it in competition.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I always thought it would be cool to see someone do a combination split jump single axel. What would that be called? A splaxel? :biggrin:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Even though I threw out some moves that people should try...now that i think about it, rather than trying new moves, maybe they should perfect the ones they have...no more flutzing/lipping or underrotating the loop in the air so that half of the rotation has to be completed on the ice...

new spin position don't really help if their spin technique isn't good to begin with (Plush's biellmann is a good example...I'd rather see him get low on his sit spin, rather than straining to get into the biellmann position)

nicole_l

Final Flight
I always thought it would be cool to see someone do a combination split jump single axel.

A delayed axel is very similar to this. It's an absolutely gorgeous jump.

nicole_l said:
It's arguably the most beautiful jump in the repertoire. Too bad it's not appreciated in the code of points despite the fact it is not easy. It's a jump where the skater 'hangs' in the air and turns slowly before competing the jump rather than a triiple toe where the skater 'spins' in the air as fast as possible before completing the jump.

Joe

Snowflake3939

Rinkside
I went to a summer skating camp once (way back in 1974). There was a visiting coach (can't remember his last name) whose name was Gil. Well, on about the fourth day of the two week camp, Gil was giving me a dance lesson and I tripped him and he fell!!! The next day when I arrived at the rink, the whole place was buzzing. "Did you hear what happened to Gil?" "He fell yesterday and won't be able to finish the camp." I was petrified that he was injured after I tripped him the day before. Then to my relief, everyone said, "Noooo, he fell when he was working on his new jump invention, the "Gilly". Unfortunately, it's so long ago that I don't remember what the jump looked like. I'm sure if Gary Beacom had stayed around longer, he would have come up with something new. Gil reminded me of Gary Beacom.

Matt

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
It's arguably the most beautiful jump in the repertoire. Too bad it's not appreciated in the code of points despite the fact it is not easy. It's a jump where the skater 'hangs' in the air and turns slowly before competing the jump rather than a triiple toe where the skater 'spins' in the air as fast as possible before completing the jump.

Joe

IIRC, Brian Orser performs this in all of his exhibition numbers and it is a breathtaking manoeuvre to watch. I think Kostner does something similar to this in her routines as well

I don't think there will ever be anything new in the way of specific jumps or manoeuvres in figure skating, but particular combinations and iconic ways that they are performed by certain skaters (e.g. the Yagudin-esque footwork). IMO, the ways that skaters today are using the moves of old in different and exciting ways is what makes the sport so fun to watch and what will help keep figure skating alive and kicking in the years to come.

S

SkateFan4Life

nicole_l said:

I agree! The delayed axel is a gorgeous move, and it's difficult, as the skater must remain suspended in the air and then rotate quickly enough to land. Dorothy Hamill had a lovely delayed axel. Robin Cousins had a delayed axel that was positively huge! đź‘Ť He looked as though he had time to complete complete three revolutions on the way down. He achieved such height, too!

I would love to see the ISU award high points to this type of move. When it's performed correctly, it is a first-rate move.

I also like to see variations on the split jump, such as a split jump that goes directly into an axel or another jump.

Johnny Weir has an outstanding repertoire of spins, and one of them might be named after him one day. Lucinda Ruh had awesome spins - frankly, I'm surprised that one of her inventive moves hasn't been named after her. After all, Denise Biellman's famous "Biellman spin" was named for her.

I realize that there are only so many different jumps that can be performed on figure skates, so perhaps the best approach is to take what's already there and add some embellishments, like Brian Boitano did with his 'Tano Triple - a triple lutze with one arm extended over the head. Very difficult to do!