Portland's January Weather? | Golden Skate

Portland's January Weather?

eliza88

On the Ice
Well, I live in Seattle and have in-laws in Portland--the two cities have similar weather. Assume it will be wet to very wet--that way if the sun does shine you will be extra happy! If it stays wet than the city is warmer--cloud cover as a blanket... Portland usually has some wind and the Rose Garden is close to the river. I would expect the temp to be in the range of 35-50 degrees--more likely hovering around the low to mid 40's. When it rains here is is often a wimpy drizzle (I do miss a good rain storm!), I rarely carry an umbrella because the combination of wind AND rain makes using an umbrella quite challenging! You wind up getting wet, frustrated, and your umbrella gets broken! A nice warm coat with a hood is my suggestion! I would still pack an umbrella, I just wanted to give you the heads up that it might not be as useful!

I would dress in layers--that works for outside and at the ice rink. Gloves and a warm scarf would also be a bonus. Warm socks, practical shoes,...

If it is NOT raining, and the sky is clear it will get cold! I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for 15 years and it has rarely gone below 25. I love the climate here and my skin does too!

Hope this helps!

eliza88

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
25* is cold???? That's a heatwave up here that time of year :rofl:

Basically I just better dress the way I have been the last few weeks... :yes: no problem... that helps a lot as I don't have to pack something different for the trip to Portland and then back home :yes:

Thanks Eliz. that's a big help. In New York City, as the saying goes, you can expect 4 seasons in any given week during any particular season. If you asked what to wear in NYC in January, I would say pack clothes for extreme winter, and walking shorts :rofl:

Joe

PAskate

On the Ice
Unless you're planning to head up to the mountains, you won't need or want serious winter wear. eliza88 is right - expect mild rain, drizzle, and dampness. I spent about 18 months working in Portland on a regular basis. In downtown Portland, it is seldom below freezing although they've been known to have an ice storm or two. In the higher elevations, there will definitely be snow. I've actually found that the weather there is nicer than most people lead you to expect. While there may be rain, I haven't found it to be too bad. In all my week-long trips, I've never had a week that didn't have a couple of nice days with clear skies.

In fact for anyone that's flying in from the east, many of the incoming flight paths go right by Mt Hood. You can get an amazing view of the mountain if the weather's somewhat clear.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I don't really bother to pack for the city anymore. For Portland I may make an exception and bring an umbrella.

I pack for the rink. I'm always cold at the first of the week and warm by the end of the week. Some rinks are colder than others but that's pretty much it.

PAskate said:
In fact for anyone that's flying in from the east, many of the incoming flight paths go right by Mt Hood. You can get an amazing view of the mountain if the weather's somewhat clear.
I've been to Portland in the Summer, and I love Mt. Hood. It always reminds me of Paramount Pictures Presents. :)

Joe

Bruin714

On the Ice
Cold Weather

Tonichelle said:
25* is cold???? That's a heatwave up here that time of year :rofl:

Basically I just better dress the way I have been the last few weeks... :yes: no problem... that helps a lot as I don't have to pack something different for the trip to Portland and then back home :yes:

It was about 70 degrees in the afternoon today where I live in Southern California. But it's really cold right now, down in the forties. Brrrrr...

:rofl: :rofl:

Sorry, had to rub it in. ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my mom's family lives in CA... my cousin emails me daily with the weather report

I never did like my cousin :rofl: :laugh: :biggrin:

eliza88

On the Ice
People coming from Alaska, or the East Coast just might think Portland in January is like a heat wave, those coming from the sunny state of California will feel the chill! One more thing to add, even though the temp might read 42 degrees, if it's wet and windy that 42 feels a w-h-o-l-e lot colder! A damp and penetrating chill!

I can't wait to feel the climate of the arena! Feel the tension, adrenaline, exuberance, and excitement!!

eliza88

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no Portland's winters are a lot like Kenai, Alaska winters (and are definitely like Juneau winters) so I'll be prepared :agree: :biggrin: :rock:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The best advice is to dress in layers -- a sweater or sweatshirt that can be used in the arena, particularly when the crowds are sparse and the arena is very chilly , and something waterproof or water-repellent on top of that to keep dry. Polartek or Goretex is best. Also a hat. Using an umbrella is like tatooing "Tourist" on your forehead, although Pacific Northwesterners are mostly too mellow to care if you're a tourist, as long as you don't ask where the Hard Rock Cafe is located. If you're uncomfortable at any time, wait 10 minutes, and the weather most likely will have shifted.

Portland, like Seattle, is a very casual city If you want to blend in, bright colors are for wool and flannel plaid and team jackets only. If you're dressed like you're ready to fell a forest or to go winter camping, you'll fit right in.

44 degrees and overcast in the Pacific Northwest is not the wet, bone-chilling equivalent in the Northeast. (I've lived in both places.) It's actually a lot warmer than on the East Coast, particularly when in motion. There aren't wind corridors like the NYC Avenues.

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Portland weather sounds like heaven to me! Its about 10 degrees here in Cincy right now and we have about a foot and a half of snow on the ground! I need a 'heatwave' right now just to get feeling back in my feet, LOL :rofl:

Thanx for all the info guys!! :rock:

The preChristmas days in NYC have been 50 degrees and today dropped to 34. One never know in New York, do one? :scratch:

BTW, the Tree looked so sparkling this year, and the promenade to Fifth Avenue was all aglow and Sax had big twinkling snow flakes. Bah Humbug. :biggrin:

Joe