Weir's Breakout Year | Golden Skate

Weir's Breakout Year

Thanks Paula - It was a great read. Our new fair haired boy is quite opinionated and very much self centered. Why not?

He seems to be having an obsession over TT. Some of the comments that she made reminded me of my ballet instruction days. Of course all that sounds better in a Russian accent.

I hope Johnny hangs around for 2010 and continues to improve.

Joe

Kathleen Bangs is the best in the business at getting these athletes to reveal their thoughts and feelings. Johnny seems to have constructed a defensive shell around himself -- I'm going to do it my way and I don't care what anyone else thinks, so there!

I noticed this again today when Johnny was interviewed by Peter Carruthers after a not-so-great performance at Marshalls. Peter asked him, why did you have problems on the ice today, and Johnny answered, I didn't have any problems on the ice (so screw yourself -- only he didn't add that, in so many words, LOL).

I thought it was very revealing what he said about how it's hard to be cheerful in interviews right after an exhausting performance, drug tests, etc. Some people find surly candor refreshing. But also, by comparison, it gives us respect for skaters who are able to master their emotions and project vitality and good humor even when they don't feel much like it.

Mathman

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
I thought it was very revealing what he said about how it's hard to be cheerful in interviews right after an exhausting performance, drug tests, etc. Some people find surly candor refreshing. But also, by comparison, it gives us respect for skaters who are able to master their emotions and project vitality and good humor even when they don't feel much like it.

Mathman

That is true for all skaters, but many of them do a good job of answering the questions, no matter how much they may hate doing those interviews.

This is an excellent interview- it is nice to get to know Johnny a little more. His Otonal LP is one of my all time favorite LPs in mens discipline.

Vash

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
This is an excellent interview- it is nice to get to know Johnny a little more. His Otonal LP is one of my all time favorite LPs in mens discipline.

Vash

check out Johnny's official website - it's full of interesting info about Johnny. "Johnny answers questions from the fans" section is also very informative.

Yana

lulu

Final Flight
Thanks Paula for arranging the interview, it was a great read.
Kathleen does seem to have a gift at giving skaters to "open up" and seems to have a nice raport with them.
Not to mention-Johnny is hilarious. I loved the line about Plushenko & Mishin, I seriously laughed out loud.
Just curious, how long ago was this interview planned?
It seemed to have been taken place after the Cup of Russia, and it was nice of Johnny to take sometime off of his training for US nats to do the interview.
I look forward to more Goldenskate interviews.
Not, trying to sound too greedy ;), I just really enjoyed the ones with Johnny, Vaktang and Roman Serov. And I look forward to read even more great interviews.
Anyways, it was a great holiday treat.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
What a truly incredible interview! Great questions and even greater answers. Johnny is really answering and not just giving hedging answers like I have seen in interviews of many (NA) skaters. I really like the impression I´m getting from Johnny´s personality, and I really LOVE his skating. LOL, this was also great description:

< I did get to know Evgeni on tour this year, with Champions On Ice, and he didn't seem like this "big titled champion," he was "just Zhenya." I think that's why I'm fairly comfortable competing against him. He liked to hook everyone up with music from his iPod speakers. We had fun, he's cool, a nice guy. I remember one really early morning on the tour bus, after a long night of parties. He and I both sat down with hoods, hats, and big sunglasses on. We looked at each other and he just said, "Well, here we go again!" >

Besides being an expressive skater, Johnny is also great with words.

Marjaana

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks all! Credit goes to Kathleen Bangs on this one :agree:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
I am impressed that Weir has emerged so fully-formed artistically at such a young age. Not since Wylie and Browning has a top male skater caught my eye this way. I look foward to seeing more of him.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want to tell a story through my body lines and movement. That's my style, and I'm sticking to it."
Thanks Johnny for being yourself and your beautiful skating style. I love it!! :yes:

Dee

mzheng

Record Breaker
Good review. He always try to be himself. Not the usual standard line of the answers.

euterpe

Medalist
The recent pictures of him in the Delaware paper show that he's cut his hair and let it revert to its normal curl. He looks good!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Awesome interview! I really get a sense of this guy from it, not just the general "same old same old".

Quote:
I want to tell a story through my body lines and movement. That's my style, and I'm sticking to it."

Johnny has the right idea for artistic skating. He doesn't need an old folk story to follow or a movie script. the idea is to feel the music and let it take you and your body on a special journey. Few skaters can do that, and Johnny hasn't got it down yet, imo. Maybe Kwan. (Most skaters need that story to help them emote.)

Those sword swingers just don't get to me. But the competition goes beyond the Presentation.

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
I love this interview! He is very honest, very refreshing, and if he is not always politically correct, so be it! :)

Kasey