Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would some skaters do better as pros?

Crazy Armchair Fan/Resident Nerd

Would some skaters do better as pros?

I've noticed a trend with a lot of skaters recently, skaters who have beautiful artistry who are necessarily as consistent with their jumps where you watch them and you find yourself saying "Gosh, if it wasn't for all those hard triples or that quad, they'd be skating beautifully"

Which leads me to wonder why a lot of skaters, who after competing for a long time on the amateur ranks don't turn pro? I realise the answer is prolly b/c the professional circuit isn't what it was like back in the early '90s, but a lot of that is b/c a lot of skaters these days aren't turning professional

So, what about this? Are there some eligible skaters today that would do better on the professional circuit? Are there skaters that are better on the professional circuit than they were as eligibles? Will the professional competitive circuit ever be like what I grew up watching in the early '90s (w/ Ice Wars, World Pros, Masters, Japan Open, etc)?

Skating Soprano
    I really enjoy Mike Weiss when he does exhibitions. He just looks too uptight in competition, though. I think he would do a lot better as a pro. Just MHO, though....

I always thought B&K would be great at "pro" skating but they didn't remain on the scene long enough to really know. Not that they weren't quite good as eligibles.
    I often wonder if Sasha would be better at "pro", where she could throw more energy into the artistic aspect of skating and not have to do those required triples and triple/tribple or double combo jumps.
    Others who come to mind that may be wonderful as "pro's":
    Sandhu and Lysacek, imo.

Custom Title
    Emanuel Sandhu. He is the ultimate performer who is not made for competitions.

The main problem with many of these skaters who can't do well in competition but would give great pros, is that to be invited to do the tours or pro competitions, they have to do fairly well as a competitive skater... it's the ones with the big titles (Worlds, Olympics) that get the contracts.

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    At the moment, the one that comes to mind is Angela Nikodinov. SHe's such a beautiful skater...

Fumie Suguri is another one...

Custom Title
    If Sasha doesn't win Nationals or Worlds this year, I think she should go pro. This will prove she can't handle the pressure. Maybe if she goes pro she will start skating clean? I think it's time for some other girls to be given the chance to show what they can do.

Angela Nikodinov... she is too beautiful to keep breaking our hearts by skating so poorly in competition!

SkateFan4Life
    Sasha Cohen could become a very successful pro skater without the pressure of competition. Emanuel Sandu is another outstanding skater who seems to fall apart under the pressure of competition. Michael Weiss skates sloppy competitive programs, but his exhibition programs are entertaining and skated with a lot of confidence.

Custom Title
    Sasha Cohen!!!!

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    Angela Nikodinov... she is too beautiful to keep breaking our hearts by skating so poorly in competition!
    Most definitely. She's the first one to come to mind. She's one of those skaters who skate gorgeous programs except that the jumps are too hard for her! Her perserverance is admirable though. After all these years of placing 6th or 8th in competitions, she's still here.

Custom Title
    The jumps aren't too hard for Angela, her nerves are.

Puhleeze, let the skater decide when to turn to show skating exclusively. I hate that phrase "she/he should go pro".

Fans have been telling Michelle "to go pro" since 1999. Yet she ignores these fans and continues to do what she loves: skate competitions. Similarly, with Irina who is older than MK but they've skated in the same competitions since 1993. I suspect both Michelle and Irina will just plain retire after the 2006Olys.
    At best, maybe make a one night guest appearance here and there.

Some skaters do not go into show skating after their competitive years. They do other things. There is a life after skating. Ask Debbie Tomas. There is nothing wrong with doing what you love.

If you don't know the skater well, there is no reason to tell them "to go pro". The skaters will make that decision when they are ready.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Fossi
    I think it's time for some other girls to be given the chance to show what they can do.
    All they have to do is step up and outskate Sasha, Michelle, Angela, Jenny..........

For several seasons I felt that Weiss' programs were more geared toward professional shows/competitions than eligible skating. I think he's turned it around a bit, but I do think he excels at showy programs more than competitive ones.

I disagree with those who say Sasha should go pro (or would do better there). She is so competitive, I think that her heart would not be in professional skating, unless she were first able to achieve the top in competitive skating. Same with Sandhu - I think he has a worse case of nerves than Sasha, but in some ways that Dr. Sandhu/Emmanuel Hyde dichotomy seems to drive him to compete. I do think that Sandhu has the potential to become one of the most inventive and creative skaters in the pro ranks if and when he chooses. But, as with Sasha, I don't know if the pro world will hold the same appeal for him.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    If you don't know the skater well, there is no reason to tell them "to go pro". The skaters will make that decision when they are ready.

Joe
    I think the point of this thread was to ask which skaters would fare BETTER as pros, not to tell skaters when or if they should go pro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast