Would some skaters do better as pros? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Would some skaters do better as pros?

Yeah, but how many times must Jenny and Angela outskate Sasha before the judges give them the credit that is due to them?
I can only think of two times when a case could be made that Jenny outskated Sasha as a senior. (Jenny did win Junior Worlds in 2000, with Sasha coming 6th). At Skate America last year and at the Marshalls event last month.

I don't think that Angela has ever a contest where she had a really good skate, but ended up losing to Sasha (again with the possible exception of Marshalls).

Jenny has had really bad luck in her two experiences at Worlds -- both time suffering untimely illnesses and injuries.

Mathman

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
NJSk8Fan said:
I always thought B&K would be great at "pro" skating but they didn't remain on the scene long enough to really know. Not that they weren't quite good as eligibles.
I often wonder if Sasha would be better at "pro", where she could throw more energy into the artistic aspect of skating and not have to do those required triples and triple/tribple or double combo jumps.
Others who come to mind that may be wonderful as "pro's":
Sandhu and Lysacek, imo.

Bourne and Kraatz were not good enough to compete in the amateur ranks? Are you kidding? Here is their record. I think it speaks for itself:

After skating together since April of 1991, 1 Canadian Junior Title, 10 Canadian Titles, 2 Grand Prix Final Titles, 3 Four Continents Cup Titles, 4 World Bronze Medals, 1 World Silver Medal, 3 Olympic Games and the first World Championship title by a North American Ice Dance Team, Shae-Lynn and Victor ended their career in December of 2003.

They did skate briefly in a few shows after retiring, but Victor decided to dissolve the partnership and move on. Certainly, they earned their way in the ice dance world as champions and as wonderful show skaters.

I don't agree - their names do not belong on this list.

:disagree:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Matt said:
I've noticed a trend with a lot of skaters recently, skaters who have beautiful artistry who are necessarily as consistent with their jumps where you watch them and you find yourself saying "Gosh, if it wasn't for all those hard triples or that quad, they'd be skating beautifully"

Which leads me to wonder why a lot of skaters, who after competing for a long time on the amateur ranks don't turn pro? I realise the answer is prolly b/c the professional circuit isn't what it was like back in the early '90s, but a lot of that is b/c a lot of skaters these days aren't turning professional

So, what about this? Are there some eligible skaters today that would do better on the professional circuit? Are there skaters that are better on the professional circuit than they were as eligibles? Will the professional competitive circuit ever be like what I grew up watching in the early '90s (w/ Ice Wars, World Pros, Masters, Japan Open, etc)?

It's not our place to decide who should compete and should hang up their competitive blades and join an ice show. Each skater makes this decision for himself or herself at some point. It's usually a decision made with their coach and perhaps their parents. Nevertheless, skaters today remain longer in the eligible amateur ranks than skaters before them. Sometimes it comes down to their health whether or not they will continue to compete - more than anything.

I would not "write off" any skater - like Sandhu for example. He is quite a capable jumper; has the whole package - quad and all. He has learned to remain focused throughout his program and this has helped him a great deal. Give him a break!!!

nicole_l

Final Flight
I always thought B&K would be great at "pro" skating but they didn't remain on the scene long enough to really know.

Ladskater, I read this as B&K weren't on the pro scene long enough to know if they would be great at pro skating. But that's just how I saw it :)