Holiday On Ice | Golden Skate

Holiday On Ice

IDLERACER

Medalist
Did anyone catch the "Holiday On Ice" special that was on today on ABC? I just got through rewinding it an watching it (I'll view the Kurt Browning special later this week). Was that strange or what? At first I thought it must've been a rerun from 1993, because when Nancy Kerrigan first appeared, it read "Olympic Bronze Medalist" under her name :confused: But no, it had a 2004 copyright. Lots of skaters I'm not familiar with, who all did a yeoman like job making due with such a small rink. That Grigorian skater (can't remember her first name) with the hulahoops is downright hypnotic. :love: It's too bad she wasn't living in the era of the Ed Sullivan program.

I didn't see the show - didn't even know it was on. But your phrase about Ed Sullivan Show gave me a :laugh: .

I began to think of so many performers who should be on the Ed Sullivan Show, particularly Pairs and Dance skaters They have acts to thrill the audience in a burlesque show. :laugh:

Joe

Irina Grigorian is great. She is my absolute favorite in COI. Irina Slutskaya says that Girgorian is her best friend on tour.

I didnt' know a Holiday on Ice show was on either. I only knew of Marshall's, Bocelli and Gotta Skate for this weekend. Maybe this was only shown on the West coast? If it WAS on the East, I'm sorry I missed it.
I've seen Irina Gregorian live 3 times now in COI. She is amazing what she does with ALL those hula hoops! And she's such a tiny girl, too!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it was an hour show, featured as Holiday on Ice Las Vegas style. It was on our PBS station.

Dee

Petlover

On the Ice
I caught the Holiday On Ice Show by accident - my husband was flipping through the channels and knows better than to continue on when he hits a skating show! Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Irina Grigorian is very talented, and I particularly enjoyed seeing the younger skaters. I hope it's on again so that everyone else can see it!

IDLERACER

Medalist
Mathman said:
Irina Grigorian is great. She is my absolute favorite in COI. Irina Slutskaya says that Girgorian is her best friend on tour.
Besides wrapping herself in a giant slinky, she's also a juggler. If I remember correctly, she was featured in both of those Gordeeva/Hamilton Raggedy Snowman specials (or whatever they were called) back in the 90s.

Vash01

Medalist
Holiday on Ice was not aired where I live. I think they are going to show it here on Dec.25.

I have seen Irina Grigorian perform on the COI tour. She is very exciting to watch.

Vash

IDLERACER

Medalist
Vash01 said:
Holiday on Ice was not aired where I live. I think they are going to show it here on Dec.25.
Sounds about right. According to this article, the special will be airing at various different times throughout the country. You've just gotta check your local TV schedule for times.

If there's an ice skating capital of the world, Las Vegas probably isn't it.

This week, however, Lake Las Vegas makes its bid as the location for "Holiday on Ice Las Vegas Style," a syndicated special hosted by Olympic medalist Nancy Kerrigan.

The show will tape at 7:30 p.m. Friday on a rink floating atop the lake.

The taping is free and open to the public. So are rehearsals, which take place throughout the day Friday.

But don't look for Kerrigan to glide across the ice with her trademark grace. She's four months pregnant, so she's confining herself to hosting duties this time around.

Kerrigan credits her involvement to executive producer Barry Mendelson, with whom she's worked on several other televised ice skating specials.

Hosting the show also gives her a chance to reunite with several skating colleagues, including Las Vegan Irina Grigorian, pair skaters Elena Leonova and Andre Khvalko and Megan McDonald, who worked with Kerrigan on "Halloween on Ice."

Also expected to skate at Lake Las Vegas: 10-year-old Hayley Kidd and the Desert Divas, eight Las Vegas-based skaters ranging in age from 7 to 10, who'll skate a holiday number in red cowgirl outfits.

"Holiday on Ice Las Vegas Style" will be syndicated nationwide as part of a seasonal skating show package, explains Mendelson. It's scheduled to air on 90 stations between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve.

"This is the eighth or ninth year we've been doing this," he notes. "Each year we try to add a show in a new location."

In previous years, those locations have ranged from Beverly Hills to Beijing, Australia to Hong Kong. In other words, somewhere you don't expect to see ice skaters in action.

"People get fascinated with ice skating in the middle of what shouldn't be" a rink, Mendelson points out. "It provides a certain amount of intrigue."

Lake Las Vegas' quaint MonteLago Village, meanwhile, provides a suitably seasonal backdrop, complete with twinkling holiday lights, a Christmas tree and other "winter wonderland" decor, he adds.

After all, "if you don't have lights, you're not going to have a great television special," Mendelson comments.

Click HERE to view the source of this article

IDLERACER

Medalist
I just checked Yahoo's TV schedule again, and apparently the special that will be airing on Christmas day on NBC is entirely different than this one. It's two hours long, and originates from Norfolk Virginia. Anyhow, it'll be on from 2:00 to 4:00 PM on the east coast and 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM on the West Coast.