My Day in Court | Golden Skate

My Day in Court

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just wanted to update you about the situation of the ticket I got around in October. Just to refresh your memory here is the link to what I am talking about.

The Situation of the Ticket

To make a long story short, I was found guilty. After having the chance to defend myself of which I thought I did a pretty good job, the judge said that I was still guilty. I asked the judge this question and just how I write it…..Do you mean that when I walked in the door I was guilty no matter what……….he said yes. I asked him again but this time saying……even if I weren’t, I am still guilty and he said……..yes. At this point I was outraged but kept my cool and said………..your honor, I mean no disrespect but how is that just?…………he said……….that’s the way it is and the way we do things. I was and still am just stunned. I lost a lot of respect for the judicial system. I paid the fine and left. I am still just so, I really don’t know what but stunned. I kind of feel like when someone told me there wasn't really a Santa Claus. :cry:

I just wanted to thank you for your support, that meant a lot to me. I am not sure what I am going to do but it is not within me to let things go.

Dee

mzheng

Record Breaker
I think if you hired a lawer instead of you defending yourself. The judger would be more careful with his words. He might just looked down on you thought you know nothing about law.

Too bad there is only offence of 'condemn the court' no 'condemn on defencer' otherwise you can sue him for that offence.

ETA.
Just read your thread. You should take Mathman's suggestion, just ignore the out of state ticket. Was the Cop, who gave you ticked shown up? Or you could send in a reschedule request, that case the Cop will mostly not shown. My hubby did this a few years back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that just stinks, Dee. :mad: I think you have three options.

(1) Forget it. Get your revenge by having a happy life. The judge's punishment is that he is himself.

(2) Write a nasty letter to the newspaper. It won't do any good, but it might make you feel better. (This always works for me, LOL. Sometimes they even publish it.)

(3) Consult a lawyer about whether you can make a complaint to a judicial oversight organization. Conceivably this might cause the judge's words to come back on him to his embarassment.

But I think that any lawyer you consult will recommend option (1).

Mathman

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
I just wanted to update you about the situation of the ticket I got around in October. Just to refresh your memory here is the link to what I am talking about.

The Situation of the Ticket

To make a long story short, I was found guilty. After having the chance to defend myself of which I thought I did a pretty good job, the judge said that I was still guilty. I asked the judge this question and just how I write it…..Do you mean that when I walked in the door I was guilty no matter what……….he said yes. I asked him again but this time saying……even if I weren’t, I am still guilty and he said……..yes. At this point I was outraged but kept my cool and said………..your honor, I mean no disrespect but how is that just?…………he said……….that’s the way it is and the way we do things. I was and still am just stunned. I lost a lot of respect for the judicial system. I paid the fine and left. I am still just so, I really don’t know what but stunned. I kind of feel like when someone told me there wasn't really a Santa Claus. :cry:

I just wanted to thank you for your support, that meant a lot to me. I am not sure what I am going to do but it is not within me to let things go.

Dee

Well, you "had your day in court" Now all you can do is put it behind you and move on. I got a ticket once for pulling into what I thought was the right turn lane to make a right turn at a light; However, the lane did not really start for a few feet. Of course, there was a policeman right behind me. He issued me a ticket; I paid it. Sometimes, one just can't win on these things.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think the judge was whacked... not all judges are like that (I know a few) but there are just as man who are there not because they're good at what they do, but because they know the right people (judges are political)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very often tickets are handed out in a very arbitrary way. The traffic cop knows if you go to court, 99% of the time it's his word against yours and you will lose. Many municipalities pay their 'administrative' costs (and that includes judges' salaries) with the income from traffic tickets, so judges have a vested interest in keeping the money flowing.

The trick with stopping at a red light before making a right turn is stopping LONG enough. If you stop for only one second, and a cop is behind you, you have a 50-50 chance of getting a ticket. Where I live, if you have your right signal on and stop at a red light, you also have a 50-50 chance of getting rear ended! The rule of thumb is to stop for 3-5 seconds (and try doing that without getting a chorus of honking horns behind you).

Don't lose any sleep over it. Just think twice before venturing back to Iowa.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
If it happens again, find out when the officer who wrote the ticket has a scheduled day off. That's the day to go to court. A friend of mine who is in charge of a traffic school class said that if the officer is not there in court the day you are, chances are the judges will throw the ticket out..............42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
If it happens again, find out when the officer who wrote the ticket has a scheduled day off. That's the day to go to court. A friend of mine who is in charge of a traffic school class said that if the officer is not there in court the day you are, chances are the judges will throw the ticket out..............42

It's only "the luck of the draw" here in British Columbia when that happens. We have to make an appointment through the Municiple Hall to appear in court; they are not about to tell us a policeman's schedule. It does happen though as I missed my day in court due to their error - had to reschedule - fortunately for me that day the cop did not show. However, now I understand our illustrious police officers are allowed to "phone it in" so there goes the "no show" theory. Yikes!!!